Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Places - Where did you guys Street Race when you were a kid ?..... Could be interesting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corncobcoupe, Jan 14, 2019.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Hell they have cars coming back at them!:eek:

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I'm sure we must know each other... raced Moreno Rd several times, Also Blossom Valley and Torrey pines...Dont forget Morena Blvd in front of Price Club.

3. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Crap ..I forgot florida st International raceway:D.... But just to be clear, I was only spectating:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    dana barlow likes this.
  4. On the S.E end of Baltimore were the Bethlehem steel mills.

Lotsa desolate long run areas. Mostly happened on an area dubbed "The Flats".

Was next to the unfinished hiway loop around the city (Route 695) before the Key hiway bridge was built.

Some serious shit went down in the good old days !

Oldmics (never caught - chased but never caught)

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bitchin' video.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. BJR

BJR

In the 60's and early 70's in Minneapolis, we street raced from stop light to stop light on Lake Street. We ran from Porkies Drive Inn by Lake Calhoun to Porkies High Lake on the east. It was like American Graffiti on a Friday or Saturday night.

Rick & Jan and wicarnut like this.
  7. oldsman41

oldsman41

Where i grew up it was pretty much back roads. Couple of them were paved so that was the place. We had a metro airport way out of town they turned into a drag strip. They had grudge races on Friday nights that was the best times.

8. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I grew up on an island in a small town, rural area. We raced on Troxell Road on the north end and on either West Beach Road or Hastie Lake Road south of town. Good times!

9. CA. 280

CA. 280

Absolutely. Stop light at Sloat, divided highway and no cross streets for 1 1/2 miles (Lincoln) Unfortunately the
    cops also knew all about it. Probably financed half of SF's budget.

10. Around Royal Oak, Michigan. Woodward Avenue, Telegraph Road and I-75.

11. Miliken, in front of 3m

12. mopacltd

mopacltd

First encounter was called the TownHouse. Really it was I-35 southbound outside of Liberty, Mo. Freeway had crossovers at that time and you would pull onto the freeway and 1/4 mile down the road was a big billboard advertising the townhouse hotel. My '55 two post made many a hit there until it decided to leave most of the 283 scattered on the roadway.

13. mopacltd

mopacltd

Hey Lumpy. You never mentioned the street in front of the pier in Pacific Beach. Used to set in the Food Basket parking lot to set and watch short (very short) drag racing. Many a time in '69 and '70 the SDPD would set and watch and some times even participate in the racin'

lumpy 63 likes this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man...I see 52 tickets up there! ALL framed...I said "Ha, I should frame these tickets, no one would believe me!" My pals just laughed, "Hell, Mike...we believe ya, we were all there for most of 'em!"
    Cops would write. I'd go to court. Case would be dismissed often as not...One ticket I got for 'speed contest', I went before the judge (a cousin of mine, though 'distant') and said, "Your Honor? I've been before you many times, sometimes 'guilty', so have never lied. But this...This is absolutely a 'Not Guilty', and I am certainly not starting to lie yet!" The charge? 100 MPH thru a radar trap...I swore to my knowledge, aluminum made the radar machine go wacky, (fluctuate from 20 MPH to 100) "and I SWEAR I was doin' 40!" Case dismissed.
    My legal guardian was tearing up tickets as fast as I was goin ta court. Said she wanted NO history of what was bound to be my 'past'...
    Well... You can take the boy outa the hot rod, but you CAN'T take the hot rod out of the boy!:cool:

dana barlow, dan31, scott27 and 4 others like this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I also slid recently...My '55 F100 is black primer, 350 Vortek w/ Edelbrock intake, lots of port work, Comp 290 cam, 350 TH.
    I lit it up for friends at the Merced shop, smoked 'em for nearly the whole block. Trucks do that... LOL That's what I told the cop that lit ME up near the intersection half a mile down.
    When he talked to me after reading my license, he says: "Aren't you a little old to be doing this?" Me: "How old do you have to be?"
    Miracle: He didn't write me. Said he'd trust me not to do it again.
    Maybe it's just coincidence, but I haven't done it since! And that was last November!!!

16. 70's and 80's The Dulles Airport Access Road.. Two lanes going each direction.. Lightly traveled and designed for high speeds..

Back when Loudoun County was nothing but Farm Land.

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. 34Larry

34Larry

'57 to '64 or there about it was 'The loop" in Renton Washington where Boeing builds the 737. Renton is just outside the Seattle city limits to the south and was a small community then. Fair sized business down town, 10 blocks or so, big high school and we'd race light to light. Hung out at the "Barrel" drive in, go out on the street, find a race, hope not to get caught. Cant remember now if it was Friday or Saturday night or both. Had my white 210 '57 Chev. HT. Very seldom lost, but then I knew what to take on.

18. 34Larry

34Larry

Oh damn that's right, I forgot about that.:D But then uncle took me away and I was never able to get some wheels before he did.:(

19. Man, I can just about see that intersection out my window. Of course, haven't seen an ounce of racing on that stretch, and maybe for good measure. There are stop light cameras all over town and now they have license plate readers.

The summer El Segundo car show is worth coming in for. All down Main from Chevron to the high school is closed off for bitchin cars.

jimmy six likes this.
  20. Harnishfeger Corp.. I raced there many times until it got to the point where guys were bringing cars on trailers. Not my idea of street racing. I lived just North and on the other side of I-94 by the stadium interchange. Not far from Woods V.A. Hospital.

wicarnut likes this.
  21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Phase II, awaiting framing.

Support your local police!

0116191428_resized.jpg

dan31, wraymen and Oldioron like this.
  22. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I don't know what is better than a wall of tickets or never getting caught, I think I will go with never getting caught. But it was close, way to close....

dan31 and dana barlow like this.
  23. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

KANNAPOLIS, N. C., home of Idiot Circle in the downtown area. Very prevalent cruise spot in the 50s', 60s', 70s' and a little beyond. A lot of hot muscle cars of all makes could be seen there and at the WHAT-A-BURGER on Main St. The call out place was right outside of town on Pine St.(Mooresville Rd.)where the finish line was a BRIDGE!!!!!!!Some of the strong running cars were a 67-68 Mustang big block(tunnel ram), aPlymouth Duster, Mercury Comet, and Chevelles……..The prize was usually $20 bucks!!!!!!!!…………..

dana barlow likes this.
  24. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Story time,yup I was there ! "A way back story"\\\\\
    The Midnite drags in Miami 1962
    by Dana Barlow

Miami/Homestead,1962,we're at the sat nite midnites with about 30+ rods and sleepers[=cars that look fairly stock,but are not] plus maybe 50+ others came to see,out on south Chrome Ave,just farm feilds [pole beans this time of year an corn other times
    ,1960's each side of the road. This nite the cops had set up sneek raid on the midnite drags. Well when the coppers popped there trap, showed from out of a dirt farm road and closed off the north end real fast with red lights flashing=were you ended up after a run running north. They knew they had the racers boxed in!
    We were in Tim Liard's "Blue Spook" 55 ford/1961 390 FE packed into it.and about 1/2 way in too our run,Tim sees the cop lights flashing way up ahead as they block off the road and he slows a little and makes a right turn into a pole bean field,bean's and stick poles going up over the car like mad ,can't see shit but Tim's holding speed above 50 anyway as we're cutting that field ,felt like tires off the dirt bumps more then on ,and wondering if we're going too fine a drainage canal or well pipe, kept cutting that field for what seemed like a mile+ tell we found a dirt farm road,blasted passed it. Did a sliding loop back and headed south,came out after a lot of wondering around kind of near A&W US1,stopped and cleaned sticks and beans off and out of the Spook so we could go on over and into A&W with out looking like were we'ed been.
    Ya some cops came in about 10 min.s later looking at all the cars there, as they drove slowly by,fewwee! We cleared there eyeballing ,no beans showen.
    The news paper said next day they got 5 drag racers,but no talk about that there were about 30 racers there,HA Ha they didn't get.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Late '60's early '70's in the San Berdoo area it was E St. for cruising/stop light to stop light face offs. For more serious racing it was Green Spot Rd. or Mission Rd. Just before I got drafted in'71 I built a pretty hot 327/4 speed combo for a guy a worked with for his '65 Chevelle. I got a letter in Basic Training that he and the guy I sold my '65 Falcon 2 dr. wagon to (built 289/4 speed) got pulled over for an impromptu race at lunch time on the main road that ran between the 2 campuses of the HS. Not very bright but the local cop let them go. I certainly was never that lucky.

dana barlow likes this.
  26. pkhammer

pkhammer

When I was a wee lad in 1968 we moved to a small rural community in western/central Va right at the foot of Shenadoah Mountain. That's where I first witnessed the locals racing tri-five Chevys, FE powered Galaxies and big block Impalas on Friday and Saturday nights. I was hooked!
    There was a straight stretch on route 257 right up at the foot of the mountain. The starting line was just down form the Esso station and the finish line was the light pole at the Mennonite Church. When me and my buddies came of age we all had GTOs, Novas, Chevelles, Torinos, GTXs, Camaros and Roadrunners, they were just cheap used cars then! We wore each other out on Friday and Saturday nights but had a great time. Rarely did any of us get caught, there was basically only one way in and one way out so when the law was around, we knew it.

dana barlow likes this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

Western Connecticut, if feeling brave Berlin Turnpike but had to be careful who we called out as that place drew the fastest and best street racers. Normal nights cruse Bristol plaza and race on the section of Rt84 that was still under construction and not yet open prefect no traffic BUT only One way out. But we had spotters with CBs to let us know when the cops were coming.

When interviewing for the State Troopers they asked about my speeding and racing tickets and asked what do you do now and fortunately I had just started going to Lebanon Valley Dragway so I could answer truthfully I go to the track. They bought it LOL.

28. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there no one here who remembers the big bust in the LA Riverbed?

31hotrodguy, 1stGrumpy and loudbang like this.
  29. Rankin rd Houston tx
    had the streets marked
    perfect racing up until late 80s

30. kursplat

kursplat

what years? in the 80's, San Fernando Rd at Sepulveda was a hot spot for years. there'd be 200 cars out there. when they were building the 210 fwy through there, the big $$ guy's would get on that fresh paved freeway and go at it. my dad told me tales of using the LA river bed through the east valley into Burbank, after it was paved.

Pinchi70 likes this.