Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1954 Hudson Jet Two Door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hbabler, Jan 16, 2019.

1. hbabler

hbabler
    from Texas

So I cant really call this a build thread as I’m not that close to starting. However I’m trying to figure out which direction to go.

Like the title says I have a 54 Jet Two door. It’s missing an engine and transmission but it’s in pretty good shape other than that.

I’m torn as to a good engine choice, I don’t want a 350. I could go back to a Hudson engine but I don’t want a 4 cylinder. A 308 is an option but they are expensive and relatively hard to find around here.

So what other engines should I consider.

I am planning on a hot rod build and not a custom, I might even try to build a La Carerra Panamericana style car. But that’s a y’all order as I have not found one picture of the jets that ran it in 1954.

Any ideas would be appreciated, as always budget is a consideration as I’ve got kiddos at the house.

Attached Files:

Surfcityrocker and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. oldolds

oldolds

They had 202 ci 6 cylinders in them. Much smaller physically that the 308. My pop has one that he raced in the mid to late 60's. It was a stock class racer. If I remember 18.00 range u/s. Everyone had to spot him! lol
    Flat head 6 with twin H. (2 carbs). Factory Aluminum head, Milled so far that the valves would just about touch the head. 5-8 years he raced it. He would come off the line flat to the floor. The tach would show 6000 rpm. I doubt it was really that high. Only thing he ever broke was spider gears.

3. How about, dare I say a "gasser" style car, I think I have seen one here somewhere.

4. What even will fit in it?

I'd go sleeper on one of those. Most people will wonder what it even is.

5. hbabler

hbabler
    from Texas

People have put the 308 in them, it requires some firewall work.

The Sloan Mcaully Jet that was in the Don Garlits museum had a wasp firewall installed so it was passed off as stock.

I have a bunch of room to work with. Maybe even a big block. The only issue is that it has crossover steering that I have to contend with as well.

6. raven

raven

Olds power!
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Saab V4! Maybe a Tempest 4 banger with an Edelbrock head and the 4bbl.

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

215" Olds/Buick aluminum V8.
    KK

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

With cars that originally came six cylinder only, the steering box is often the big interference point when putting in a V8. If the engine compartment is wide enough and has room I would use a small V8 like a Ford 302 or Chev 350. Or maybe even a V6. Something that will not overpower the original steering and brakes. For street use you could probably get away with the original rear axle if you run an automatic.

It's an unusual car and was considered a well made car in its day, the only reason they stopped making them was that Hudson merged with Nash and they didn't need 2 small cars (Rambler and Jet). They dropped all the Hudson cars and replaced them with modified Nashes.

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

How about a mid 80's Mustang turbo 4 cylinder?? Some one put up a build thread of a Oldsmobile ohc four in a 59 or 60 Rambler American. You could look around for a late 70's to early 90's Volvo 740 or 940 turbo 4. They were 2.3 litter 160 hp with four speed some had Laycock deNormanvile (think gear vendors) overdrive. Compct unit with good power run forever with basic maintenance. I had one with 245000 miles that ran like new, got mid 20's miles per gallon, didn't use oil, and pulled like a train.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    raven likes this.
  11. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Beat me to it!

12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

By the way, please post any updates here, as I'm definitely subscribed!

13. samurai mike

samurai mike

local guy put a buick v6 in one years ago.

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

^^^^^^not really Hamb friendly but do able and good power for getting out and about.

15. oldolds

oldolds

Yes they have a bell crank type steering located in the middle of the car. Right about where a small block Chevy oil pan sump needs to be.
    At the time my pop was racing his, he and a friend wanted to put a small block in a 2 door he had. That stopped them. They were not fabricators. They thought it was too much work to do a straight axle.

16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I'm guessing you weren't commenting on the Buick/Olds V6. Those were available in the early '60s.

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

Have no suggestions as to powertrain - just looking for an excuse to post this picture. Scan-190116-0001.jpg

raven and Peanut 1959 like this.
  18. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

I am presently working of a Jet. Finding parts for the 202 motor is not easy. It was only made for 4 yrs. If you are wanting to still look period correct. Think Mopar. My next choice would be the 230 flat head. It is the same length and similar features. It can go from mild to wild. That's my thoughts.

19. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

No I was commenting on my post with the turbo fours.

Peanut 1959 likes this.