Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Von who??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by weps, Jan 13, 2019.

1. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I know that there are people that think "Flying eyeballs" are the coolest thing ever. I also know that some think that von Dutch invented pin striping.
    Notice the date on this.... MVIMG_20190112_112714.jpg

Stogy, rjones35, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Striping goes way back, it’s how he did his that makes his work special. There were strippers before and after.

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and fauj like this.
  3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Dude you have a vintage Al Capone artwork nice

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What does Meany stand for?

Cooon and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Pinstriping, is as old as the very idea of creativity, The Romans & Greeks were laying down lines around 750 BC, long before Kenneth Howard came along. :D HRP

6. You do realize you’re giving away your age right HRP?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I'm shocked!!! Von Dutch wasn't the inventor of Pin Striping? :eek:

LOST ANGEL and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

he's still alive, I speak to him often. I saw him at the Auto Parts store the other day in a van overloaded with junk.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. 00b14091-503b-4eff-bb9b-c062f1e2235d_1.e82a2d5504c4890122892b53253bd1ea.jpeg
    ................But, were they using 1-Shot?!:D;)

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Meany1.jpg

Here it's more Hamb friendly now...:D

Technically its actually line art resembling pinstriping...but maybe you know this individual and they actually did pinstripe.

Seeing art from back I'm the day is always interesting...now again what was the meaning of Meany and was there other subtlties I missed...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  11. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Story is that Al Leamy had a pet owl. (I'm not sure if it was a pet like in a cage, or just hung out around the house outside)
    The bird's Nickname was "Meany", so I'm guessing that it was more of an outside "pet"

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Or

This drawing from the museum's archives is called the "Leamy Meany", drawn by Auburn Automobile Company stylist Alan Leamy.

Leamy's friend's little son misprounced his name; instead of 'Al Leamy', it sounded like 'Owl Meany'. This prompted Leamy to draw Leamy Meany. Note that the body of the owl consists of the word 'Meany'. It is a very cool piece with a nice backstory!

https://www.facebook.com/1356172335...374410.135617233596/10153668292403597/?type=3

williebill, Bam.inc, belair and 6 others like this.
  13. Neat story but I still think the flying eyeball is pretty cool.

Stogy, loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  14. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I like your story better :)

Stogy likes this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

When I was a little runt, and someone picked on me. I would always say to them, you meany.

Stogy and Cooon like this.
  16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

When I started on the construction crew years ago , I was 19 years old , while driving the truck sitting at a traffic light , the old coot sitting beside me also knocked me out of the cab into the street . I ask him WTH , are you doing ? He answered “ I just feld a MEANY “ , I told him I totally understood . About 6 months later getting to the job that was better than an hours ride in a bumpy azz International Loadstar , he says “ pull over I got to pee “ . So over I go on the interstate . He gets outs starts to relieve himself , I put the truck in gear and slowly ease forward , faster and faster until he can not keep up . He was standing in plain view on the interstate with his junk in his hand relieving himself . He gets back in the truck and asks “ WTH , was that all about ?!! “ . I answered I just wanted you to know I feld a MEANY , also ! He never had another attack again . Afaird to ask me to stop again , he starts pissin in a cup and tossin it out the window . Nasty Bastard ! I had all I could take of this , so I took a pencil and poked four holes in the bottom on the cup . As Paul Harvey would say “ now you know the rest of the story “. The next day , he saw that I was sent on a different truck and never worked with him another day in 35 years of employment .

williebill, Nostrebor, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

There were stripers before and after, too. ;)

williebill, Torana68 and Stogy like this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's an art piece tied to the era of cars we love. It resembles the ever popular floury that most credit to the legendary and oft infamous Ken Howard. If my memory serves he did it to cover up grinding marks that showed up through the paint on a custom 36 Ford hood.

Seeing that "Meany" in person is truly moving, at least to me. Vision and talent from 85 years past, and a car guy besides. Good stuff Weps...;)

Stogy and stanlow69 like this.
  19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I revisit this, I was intrigued equally that day by the design submissions for gauge face and hub logo art. They too are on display there and could easily consume over 30 minutes of study unto themselves. That said, I can't help but see partial gauge faces as the subject owl's eyes. Anybody else get that vibe? Maybe our brother weps will share some of those too. Hint, hint...

Stogy likes this.
  20. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Keep in mind that I got knock out of those panels in a few minutes and put any date on it you wanted.

Jimbo

21. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Have you every seen the artistic pinstriping David Hightower from Kansas?
    His panels that he pints hang in some of the finest art galleries in the country and each one is a work of art.

I don't think he strips cars or bikes but when I look at this work he is a true artist at what he does.
    Jimbo

22. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN