Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Something is blocking the view

C2 Corvette.jpg

2. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Doug, We never forget our first ride in a Corvette. It kind of sets the stage for the rest of
    our lives. After 50 years of Corvette ownership, I am still looking for the next one.
    Dave

loudbang, Deuces and enloe like this.
  3. noboD

noboD

David, you know the car I rode in, or at least it's current owner in Florida. It still wears the brown racing stripes.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

On the passenger seat.

loudbang, 56don, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING:)

loudbang likes this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

Too funny!!!!.... :D

31hotrodguy, loudbang and vetteguy402 like this.
  7. godlemmy

godlemmy

This is my dads 58 from @74. 302z motor 4 speed. My first cool car memory is sitting on moms lap holding on to the dash bar while dad banged through the gears. Been hooked since. I would love to find it.
    20190112_125540.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1947knuck, rudestude, sdluck and 11 others like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9. jimdillon

jimdillon

Nice 58 godlemmy-it would be nice if you could find it. I am starting to believe that I like the 58-60s better without the rear bumpers but nice and finished like your dad's appears to be. I like the bumpers but there is something about the rear shape that is so classic of the 50s era.

As to the two customs above the time that went into the paintwork is extensive. I did custom paintwork for years and it was nothing to work 18 hour days for a week. The fun part was unmasking the final product but I would not want to go back and relive that portion of the era.

10. I learned how to drive a stick shift in a 57 Corvette!

11. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

I figured...............

chryslerfan55, loudbang and enloe like this.
  12. godlemmy

godlemmy

It's kind of ironic that my dad chose to dechomed the vette with the most chrome. Lol. I agree. I like the roundness of the 57-60 vettes without the rear bumpers. I also dislike when guys move the front valance up when removing the front bumpers. It ruins the proportions of the front

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. would make it much easier to see outta the back:)

14. mkebaird

mkebaird

Couldn't agree more!

P1030202.JPG
    P1030429.JPG

15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

This was taken at a show in 1974 at the Veterans Auditorium in Des Moines Iowa. I seem to recall it was a Ray Farhner “World of Wheels” show.

Vette at DM.jpg

16. Here's Dads IMG_2940.JPG

17. godlemmy

godlemmy

18. Thanks, he gave it to me before he passed this spring, I can't seem to call it mine though.:rolleyes:

19. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

That's not entirely a bad thing. You're just showing him how much you respect him in his absence. You're keeping his memory alive. Enjoy it, and remember that he's your passenger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. mkebaird

mkebaird

After all, we're just temporary costodians of these cars.

j hansen, Deuces, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I know how that is.

22. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

IMAG3838.jpg My buddy Chips 60 vette----- same paint almost 40 yrs we showed together in the Rivergate daze .Now we cruise-

23. 19BD110E-BC69-41E4-9408-BCC2B6A2CD8B.jpeg 0FE2562F-6836-41CE-BBA0-14D225B424CC.jpeg DD1E0AD4-F544-40C1-A593-C479AEF317DE.jpeg Some “wow” pics...who would let a Vette rot??? The next guy appears to have the world by the ass....and the last pic the guy may have to change his shorts after that pass

24. [​IMG]
    This looks very much like the one I bought in '64 or'65- fixed it up and drove through college years and took to Ft. Knox after being drafted- sold when sent over seas in '69- bought off back lot of local Pontiac dealer sunk even further into the weeds- Bob k.

25. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

There she Iz --My 58 Sky Pilot*** Double A model not included IMAG7131.jpg

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

View attachment 4160429 Saw this picture of the 1958 Corvette called “the Pooch” posted by Loudbang on another thread.
    Scan10029-3.jpg

The car was owned and raced by Deloy Naeb out of Colorado. The car ran in 1965 in C/MP with a 283 bored to 286 with a Pontiac rear and 6.17 gears. The car took home the class win and street eliminator honors at the NHRA Tulsa Invitational. Deloy wanted to run in D/MSP in 66 under the NHRA rules and tracks and he had to make a few modifications to meet the class requirements. He installed a slightly bored 265 to 268 inches with Hilborns. To add the weight he added lead to the rear differential assembly and would add barbells when necessary. You can also see the 4” I- beams on the front suspension, which I would not be surprised was more common to lift these old Vettes than straight axles. The combination worked well as he won class and street eliminator at the 66 NHRA World Finals at Tulsa. Car was a record holder in class on several occasions. Car was bought off of ebay in 2009 and has been restored. Deloy did get to see the car restored but has since passed on. Cool that this car was saved and will help solidify the Corvette heritage of success on the drag strip in the 60s.

Here is another picture of the same run I believe at the NHRA 66 World Finals.
    Wrld finalstulsa66.jpg
    Here is a picture of the car as it ran in 65 at the NHRA Invitational, with the bored 283 at Southwest Raceway.
    NaebsGarage.jpg

Here is a picture of the car as it ran in 68 in a different color (the original color he painted it was grey primer. He had retrieved the car from a shed in pretty sad shape and he named it the Pooch as it may have looked a bit like a dog to him (not me).
    10DeloyNaeb_zpseeecda64.jpg

As it looked like when it was sold on ebay in 2009.
    !BVny0c!!mk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLmY7zeBKTZ,)Hdfg~~_1.JPG

The 4" blocks in the front suspension.
    POOCH-12.JPG

Another picture as it was found in 2009.
    POOCH-14.JPG

The newly restored chassis with the 4" blocks etc. Pooch engine-1.jpg

The Pontiac rear with accomodations for a bunch of lead.
    10.6.09008.jpg

The car as it sits today with Deloy besides the car prior to his passing.
    NHRA HALL of Fame 2014.jpg

27. jimdillon

jimdillon

Here are some timeslips and records that were saved.
    Scan10027.JPG
    Scan10023.JPG

28. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Nice history there Jim.

Pat

31hotrodguy, loudbang and vetteguy402 like this.
  29. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pat I really like the car and have a file on it. I wanted to bid on it when it came up on ebay in 2009 but my cookie jar was pretty empty. In 2009 I fought two forms of cancer and even though my insurance paid for most I still had to pay a bit myself and it was expensive. I saw the 61 Vette built by Larry Teter come up for sale on ebay just before the Pooch showed up. I had called the gentleman that found the Teter car a few years prior and wanted it but he would not sell it, so when it came up on ebay I sold some stuff I had that a guy wanted and had enough to buy some body parts from a guy I knew (pretty much a complete 59 body in somewhat tough shape) and enough for the Teter car. I had to go to Wisconsin to pick up the Teter car but could not drive as due to surgery I could not close my right eye (for several months) which made driving quite difficult. Talked my wife into pulling my enclosed trailer through Chicago traffic to pick up the car.

I was not home with the Teter car a week or two and The Pooch came up for sale. I watched the sale and could have thrown maybe $10,000 at it but that was about it. When it hit $15,000 on ebay I quit watching the sale. Maybe better in the long run as the guy that bought it restored the car to it's present condition. With my schedule I have trouble getting my stuff done so maybe the "better" buyer got it but I still wish it was in my barn.

jammer, bald1, scott27 and 6 others like this.