Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '32 roadster top, frames and covering

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodtom, Jan 10, 2019.

1. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

I'm working on keeping my roadster drivable and I'm gonna break down and put a top on it. I'm partial to original tops, bows, and fabric.
    I was reading the Model A forum about the deterioration of quality from LeBaronBonney, who WAS my first choice. Who do y'all prefer now for original style top parts if not them?
    Fearless

2. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

BTT

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

My '32 has a LeBaron Bonney 2" chop top and stainless steel irons. About 15 years old and still works and looks good. IMG_0258 (Edited).JPG
    KK

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Tom: I've done several deuce roadsters with tops. I start with chopped repro top irons, new bows and header. I configure the top irons and bows to the shape I want and make the top out of masking tape so my upholster can get an idea of what I want. For my last roadster I also had pictures of the top I wanted. I always use top quality Mercedes Benz top material and a stainless rear window frame that is designed for a 33/34 phaeton. Unfortunately some upholsters are a little intimidated by scratch build tops but I was fortunate to have a good one.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019

5. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Thanks, KK, that's exactly what I have in mind. Now to find the $$...

6. This is a LB 32 top on chopped A irons and wood bows. QUALITY product, Haartz cloth out and in, sandwiching a middle layer of rubber for extra waterproofing.
    FB_IMG_1544640305398.jpg