Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods South East Gassers / A/FX / Altered Wheelbase Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tpw35, Aug 9, 2018.

1. tpw35

tpw35

I am currently working with Quain Stott on a set of rules for A/FX style cars to run with the South East Gassers group. They have 2 cars running exhibition races with them now, The Georgia Shaker driven by Alan Platt and the Dixie Twister driven by Rocky Platt. We know that the class will be manual transmissions only, american production cars 1960-1967 and we will run on a weight to cubic inch rule like the A,B,C gas cars are running now probably around 7-8 LBS/CI with a big block only rule. The appearance rules will be similar to what they are currently doing with the other classes so you can look at those rules to get an idea on wheels, tires, etc... basically nothing past 1967, To run in the A/FX class the front and rear axles will have to be relocated/moved forward.

If you have a A/FX style car that you would like to run let us know, If the car looks right and meets the requirements you can run it in some exhibition races with the hope that we get more cars and create an official class.

I am making changes to my car now and I plan to run next season.

Todd

2. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing a new racer class develop

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Great idea. :)

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. tpw35

tpw35

We have decided on 8 LBS per cubic inch for the A/FX class.

6. what are the rules on fuel? are blowers allowed?

mad mikey, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. tpw35

tpw35

Alcohol is allowed for the A/FX class, no blowers, carbs or mechanical fuel injection allowed.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  8. I like what you and Quain are doing for sure.
    I'm not sure that A/FX is the proper name for the class though. A, B, C /FX were NHRA classes , they weren't allowed altered wheelbases . Those AWB cars were put in ALTERED classes. The AWB cars were the first "funny cars", and were mostly used for match racing , or as pounds per cube classes at the Super Stock Nationals, etc. Also called U (ultra) / Stock at one point.
    I suppose using A , and then possibly B,C if it catches on , is a good idea.
    Just a comment here.

9. tpw35

tpw35

Yes we have thought about the name, Match Bash or Match Racer is probably more correct with the era/style cars we are going for.

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  10. Injected nitro and automatics would be alot more era correct. Not many racers ran a manual trans. The fx cars and gassers had very little in common. If the class was set up right it would be wildly popular.

11. I like the name "Match Bash". NHRA used this in 1965 at Bristol. Dave Strickler won the class.

chryslerfan55, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  12. Few remember NHRA had no use for awb cars. They only had two national events back then. The other sanctioning bodies welcomed the new sensation. The cars evolved so fast the rules were made up on the fly. The cars were most often classed by weight; induction and fuel.
    The construction was very different from a gasser. a gasser in 1960 looked like a gasser from 1965. very little changed. the fx cars changed weekly.
    Extending the car model out to 67 opens a big can of worms as far as construction goes. One piece fiberglass bodies were already around by 66. If Bruce Larsons original 66 fiberglass chevelle showed up what do you do? You sure cant say it's not period correct. Or rachanskis comet with the roof cut off. shirl greer cut his 65 dodges trunk off then made it a center steer car from the back seat. just a few examples. To get the cars that are steriotipical of the era I would suggest the cut off be 1965. A gasser does not become a awb car just because the wheels got moved. The seg association prides itself on being fairly era correct. I hope they keep it that way.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  13. troybert

troybert
    from muncie in.

this wont fit in that class what a shame DSCN3203.JPG DSCN3204.JPG

14. Is that the old cyclops? You would think it would be perfect. A few other original running survivors include
    Jayhawker
    Jake's speed shop
    Mr.tomato
    Faubels honker
    Yankee peddler
    Pandemonium
    Atlantic flyer dodge
    There are many more. The only problem is they are automatics. The way they were when they originally raced.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  15. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i would think if you just use these rules it would work. as far as the one of a kind cars that showed up in '66/'67 they were just that. not the norm. besides, where would you get a 'glass '66 comet? you would have to allow tube frames though. not so much round tube but the 2 x 3 type rectangle kind. i have a '66 dart i want to make awb like dick landy, charley allen, bud fauble, and a host of other ones. what people have to remember about this time is, there is a common style that was built and people kept coming up with other things to make them faster. people built a new car it seemed like every year. will there be a rule that fenders and hoods must be acid dipped? who makes 'glass stretched i piece front ends for falcons, darts mopars? see what i mean. now that i think about it, some of those '66 darts were all 'glass too. i suppose some of the 'glass companies would tool up if there was a market. i don't envy you trying to make rules for this class. even though i would love to see it. just to throw more crap at this, how about the jeep cars, the destroyer and the secret weapon? i loved these but i don't think they were the common cars of the time. either way, good luck.

16. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Your are right about the term A/FX. Factory experimental did not allow altered wheelbase. These are really altered match race super stocks that were the first to be called funny cars two years before NHRA created the class for Funny Cars .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Well said and very true! ‘64-‘66 were really the body’s that got altered into the well documented period and style of the match race evolution. The latter half of ‘66 thru ‘67 were the wildest creations . Topless , one piece lift up bodies, blown on nitro and every make and model you could imagine wet being created to win at all cost.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  18. With a 65 rule the cars would have a modified stock frame and a steel roof. This would make for a potentially safer car by some what limiting the performance it could achieve.

mad mikey, loudbang and Gary Reynolds like this.
  19. tpw35

tpw35

We have 2 A/FX/Match Bash style cars currently running exhibition races with the South East Gasser's , they are both tribute cars, one is the Georgia Shaker and one is the Dixie Twister we are trying to write the rules to match what was going on in the mid 60s and keep these 2 cars legal and competitive, they are both 4 speed cars with mechanical fuel injection. Just like the A,B,and C gas rules if someone had real A/FX Match Race type car it could possible run in the group under a grandfather clause but we would have to make sure we keep the 2 guys already running and the guys building cars competitive. Quain has done a good job with this in his other classes.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. He sure has. Why not just let the guys choose the trans they want to use. We used to get the crowd really fired up doing our show. We did rosin burnouts with multiple burn throughs. Each pass through the rosin the cars got better traction and started to really jump around. We also did a flag start. The fx show was also very different from a gasser show. Sometimes the pre race show was better than the race. The guys that saw these shows never forgot them. They were complete entertainment.

21. ironrodder

ironrodder

2 All fiberglass cars in 1966, Chevoom, with a 354 blown injected Chry in the back seat. And the Quicksilver Dart, 426 on carbs when it ran the NATCA International's in Feb.'66 but later injected. Both ran automatics.
    Both are still around though I hear Chevoom may be front engine now.

loudbang likes this.
  22. ironrodder

ironrodder

Nuts! I was trying to bring up the class: Expermental Stock , XS, predecessor
    to F/C

loudbang likes this.
  23. catdad49

catdad49

You mean like this! IMG_1709.jpg IMG_1717.jpg

24. I still think automatics should be legal. That was the most popular trans for them. Ronny sox built a cuda with a stick but changed it to a automatic. They were too violent. A factory cased automatic would be far more era correct than a inline shifted Jerico any day.

SS327, mad mikey, lawman and 3 others like this.
  25. 6sally6

6sally6

Since MOST of the folks(as spectators) coming to the SEGA events are 60 and younger...why not let Quain decide what is A,B,C/FX and what ain't. He could get it "close enough" and still be entertaining and competitive. Most wouldn't know what was legal and what wasn't!
    Sure us "vintage" guys could argue what was accepted and what wasn't but, the area of the country had a lot to do with what guys ran.
    West coast fellas saw a lot more radial stuff than east coast ytracks.
    Jus say'in...not fuss'in
    6sally6

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Gasser Dave 1

Gasser Dave 1

20171106_141206_resized_1.jpg 20171104_155358_resized.jpg
    These cars are amazing.......it took just 14 months or so for these "step Children" to morph from carburetors on gas all the way to blown on fuel and dropping 3 seconds in ET.
    Match Bash is mostly correct. AHRA saw the draw potential and welcomed a new class for these, but NHRA was, well, NHRA.
    I have one for sale......CHEAP!!! View attachment 4158967 View attachment 4158967 View attachment 4158968 View attachment 4158967 View attachment 4158968

27. Gasser Dave 1

Gasser Dave 1

28. Hemi511

Hemi511

29. tpw35

tpw35

catdad49, yes that is the look , especial the Daddy Warbucks car

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  30. catdad49

catdad49