Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pennafxu, Nov 9, 2010.

1. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

2. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Finally put the water necks on for good, forgot to put in the thermostats! Took off the necks and finally torqued them to 20ft-lbs...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

On to the transmission cross member...
    [​IMG]
    The rubber mount takes 3 bolts... it was however cocked to one side, so I took it off the tail housing
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I used the vise to press the metal back in place
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    daddio211 likes this.
  4. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

I measured various points on my x-member
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    16 1/8”
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Next task was to lay down some scribe lines for my cuts...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I used the band saw on this for a clean cut
    [​IMG]
    I then laid out the marks for the three holes...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    chryslerfan55, daddio211 and patmanta like this.
  5. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Carb surface is zeroed out with car under its own weight sans body...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It’s tricky trying to find out the trans pinion angle as there isn’t much real estate to attach my angle finder to, and it’s aluminum. I’m going to attach the pinion u-joint and hopefully measure from that.

6. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Worked for about 5 hrs on the cross mount...
    [​IMG]
    Punched a couple lightning holes...
    [​IMG]
    Cut down the edges and welded them up...
    [​IMG]
    Rubber mount fits in nicely
    [​IMG]
    Need to drill through the side cross members to bolt the “removable” crossmember... This will aid in any future work that might be needed on the trans without having to pull the body.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

[​IMG]
    Trans rear spline Angle is 1.2deg[​IMG]
    This is a shot of the final setup... now I need to focus on the rear end... [​IMG]
    Making sure the rear diff yolk is zeroed out... I will then set the rear end at 1.2deg and then tack weld the ladder bars...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Rechecked zero once again [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Off by 3.6deg
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The green arrows demarcate where material needs to be removed so the rear angle can be dropped

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

So after further thinking... the KISS principle seemed to kick in... I don’t need to hack anything just yet. I actually need to cut and lower my P&J front anchor point for my ladder bars... I was getting ready to cut and tack but I ran out of Argon! While picking up the gas I also grabbed some steel stock... the place was really neat so I took pictures as usual!
    [​IMG][​IMG] In this picture you can see material that could be used for a grill insert...
    [​IMG]This bad boy lifts the material to various cutting stations (shears/plasma/band saws etc.) It spans the entire footprint of the plant and there are four of them![​IMG] The material is delivered via train

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and daddio211 like this.
  10. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

I thought I could get some wiggle room by lifting up the trans... but no dice...[​IMG]
    With the rear yolk angle at 1.2deg the front of the ladder bars are 4” too low. My goal is to center this piece in the oval section of my cross member [​IMG]
    Therefore the front mounting point will be strategically cut and lowered to maintain correct angles... If you look closely at this picture this part must have left P&J’s before hitting QC as it is missing 4 sets of finish welds. I’ll get to that during the final welding. It seems like this is taking forever but I don’t want to mess this up so I am waiting for my son to get back to help me. [​IMG] In the meantime I’m working on smaller more manageable projects.

11. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

I knocked out the spacer by fusion welding two washers and a steel spacer together... it’s the one to square up the offset T5... [​IMG]This is my little welding fitment... [​IMG] After the fusion welds I put some chamfers on the spacer to knock off any rough edges and did some final clean up on the lathe...[​IMG][​IMG] It seemed to come out ok I guess

12. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Next I had an issue with spacing on my transmission mount. I needed to raise the area by 1/8”. So instead of using individual spacers I came up with another solution. [​IMG][​IMG] I used the cut section from the bolts to hold this piece in place for tack welds...[​IMG] I then zipped it up [​IMG][​IMG]Here you can see where the bolts are now taken up...[​IMG]
    Welding is a perishable skill, and this was more of an exercise in getting back on the bicycle. I have miles of welding ahead of me but the more you do it the better you get!

13. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Some fabrication today along with pulling apart the fuel pump, cleaning and starting polishing... need to order a rebuild kit... had a shitty day at work but an awesome day in my shop! I’ll take that happenstance all day long like donkey Kong. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Getting a good fitment is half the battle [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Tackling the rear ladder bars and anti-squat setup
    [​IMG]
    The rear end will not handle well like this as the ladder bars are actually pointing down. Elevating the ladder bars to get them at zero would increase my pinion yolk angle to 15deg. Neutral or slightly upward is the preferred angle for ladder bars per my reading. [​IMG] So we got to cutting tack welds and cleaning the area to set the angles and re-tack [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Everything was set in place and tacked up again...
    [​IMG]
    I re-checked the angles once again [​IMG][​IMG]
    Both sides looked good
    [​IMG]
    Now I need to set the yolk angle with the center cross member.[​IMG]
    I added one of my tags to the transmission mount... [​IMG][​IMG] I welded an area around the oval and riveted it down... I think I’m going to do this to all my major parts with a part number stamped on the piece that will be linked to a parts diagram and digital manual for future reference.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Stogy and patmanta like this.
  15. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

I noticed that the rear tires were a little low on air, so I pumped them up.[​IMG][​IMG]
    After they were up to the correct pressure I got to cutting the PJ front mount[​IMG] [​IMG] I lowered the transmission into place after zeroing out the carb mounting surface for the last time and zipped everything into place... The pinion angle stayed around the same at 1.5-2 deg or so...[​IMG][​IMG] unfortunately after pumping the tires the diff yolk went from 4.5 to about 10 deg! Still trying to figure this one out! But I took the reading 4 times and that is what I have to go with. I had to cut the tack welds again, and will re-tack the ladder bars at 8 deg positive or pointing upward by 8 deg, so that when I rotate the rear end down to 2 deg it will set the top of my ladder bars to zero. More to follow on that.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  16. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Today was a catch up day... I put a ton of tools away. I just don’t know where they come from! I also welded up the PJ Crossmember. I think I understand why they “forgot” to finish welding this thing. It was a complete nightmare. It took me 4 hrs. I had to weld left handed, right handed, pulse on, no pulse, up, down, sideways. The tungsten was also out past 3/4” at some points. Well I got it done and that’s what counts. My weld is below, their’s is above...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  17. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

[​IMG] Ladder bars tacked at 8.5 deg... [​IMG] Crawling under the rear end is so much fun...[​IMG][​IMG] They are jutting up
    [​IMG] Set back to zero when the axle was rotated forward
    [​IMG] finally the yolk angle was set to 1.5-2 deg by lowering the center mount. [​IMG] It seemed my cigar cases were the perfect spacers to get the yolk angle. Who said smoking’s bad for you! [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Next up is the rear panhard setup, and final welding of the PJ brace to lock in the yolk angle. I also need to drill in the crossmember so the trans cross mount can attach. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Stogy and LAROKE like this.
  18. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Drilling side members...
    [​IMG]
    New measuring tool on my phone
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Center drill for accuracy
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Unpolished, partially polished and show polished
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  19. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

The rear ladder center mount bracket will double as the exhaust hanger mount... one down three to go...[​IMG]
    Test fit[​IMG]
    This one piece took 3 hrs
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]3/4” rubber grommet to receive the hanger

Stogy likes this.
  20. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Chipped away a little tonight...
    IMG_2210.JPG
    Finished part 2/4
    IMG_2211.JPG
    This tool is good for working sharp edges
    IMG_2212.JPG

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  21. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

This new setup really helps with drilling the holes... this piece took an hour
    IMG_2213.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  22. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Put some time in with my son today. Finished drilling holes and a little sanding.[​IMG][​IMG] This is far from done with another one on the way. It looks like a ghost! More to follow on that later

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    patmanta likes this.
  23. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

I went ahead and finished polishing the fuel pump... I washed the glass bowl with pumice soap and did a test fit to the intake...[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I really like the way this turned out. I need to order a rebuild kit. Tomorrow I’m going to finish up my ladder bar mounts and weld up

OFT and Stogy like this.
  24. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Got the ladder mounts finished. The top holes are for the cross member to tie into. The middle hole is for show and the 1/2” holes are for the exhaust hanger and gas/brake lines to go through via robber grommets... More to follow on that later [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I tacked up the fitment on the frame first
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I then took the fitment to the table to finish welding it up... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Wanted to finish but the Bears game started.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    OFT likes this.
  25. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Ok so my Bears lost by a missed field goal ): so I went back to work on the car...
    [​IMG]
    Everything looked good, so I chopped the ends off with the the band saw...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] The rear yolk is at around 2 deg...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] This area needs to be dressed and final welded...[​IMG] other side [​IMG][​IMG]

OFT likes this.
  26. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

This moment has been a long time coming for sure. The driveline is sitting under its own weight.
    IMG_0074.JPG
    Both sides drilled through...
    IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0077.JPG Everything bolted down...

Stogy and patmanta like this.
  27. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Got the ends lined up ready for the driveline. Will order that from Denny’s driveline. IMG_0079.JPG Continued welding up the cross member. This is called the lay wire technique, where you weave back and forth across both base metals and run across the welding rod being careful not to contaminate the electrode... I’ve been using the 2% lanthanated recently again. The electrode was out almost 3/4” on some of these passes with the argon turned up to 25-30%. 20 pps at 120v IMG_0080.JPG This technique is helpful when there is a slight gap in fitment. The rod was pretty much the same size as the gap. IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0083.JPG
    I clamped the weldment to my table IMG_0084.JPG IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0086.JPG IMG_0087.JPG It’s peanut butter grommet time! Peanut butter grommet time! IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0089.JPG
    Still at 2.5 degrees IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0091.JPG IMG_0092.JPG IMG_0098.JPG IMG_0100.JPG IMG_0101.JPG
    Need to tack in the cross member and finish welding during final weld up...

Stogy, OFT and LAROKE like this.
  28. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Will call tech support for some clarification on this... will also check on prices of steel vs. aluminum and thicknesses.
    IMG_1404.gif I have the 28 spline output

29. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

30. pennafxu

pennafxu
    from Kentucky

Will use this info for the rear end conversion. Talked to speedway and Dennie’s driveline who were very helpful.

View attachment 4159670

Need go figure out 6 vs 10 spline...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019