Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

2. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

That looks nice..

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

That is one beautiful car.

4. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

What's the Offy intake for? Obviously a inline 6... But I can't see the ports to ID it.

Looks like it would perform well.

5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Yesterday I hauled this stuff for a friend. He's been trying to pick this stuff up for a year. I finally decided to help him out, since all his buddies keep flaking out on him. I drove 12 hours to pick the stuff up, then another 4 hours to his house. IMG_20190112_160741319_HDR.jpeg

jazz1, Blue One, 40two and 7 others like this.
  6. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Today after unloading my truck with all of the stuff I picked up yesterday, I saw this 38 Dodge. I pulled over and talked to the guy. Turns out he built it when he was a young kid, sold it we he got married, then found it 21 years later in this poor condition. He is keeping it for good this time, and will restore it again, hot rod style!

Freaking bad ass truck!

Now I am on my 12 hour journey home... IMG_20190113_151446660.jpeg

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You are a friend indeed!

Well today I put a water pump in a 90 something Chevy. Noticed a couple things:

When did they decide to make the fans screw onto the water pump snout at 500lbs. torque? Luckily the Auto Parts lent me the special wrenches. Was there a problem with Chevy fans falling off?

Secondly, I am such a cheapskate when it comes to replacement parts. Last night I went to the brew pub, after 4-5 beers and fried chicken I was out $50. No sweat, price of having a good time. Today at the auto parts, new water pump, $50. What! They were 19.95 a couple years ago! Dammit it all! I can't afford this!

classiccarjack likes this.
  8. Trimmed the repaired rear hood edge to start getting a decent gap, little bit more and it should be there; then started mocking up the latch mechanism. Will be interesting to see if this hood will actually latch.
    IMG_20190114_122850 (Medium).jpg IMG_20190114_165844 (Medium).jpg

9. esrbuilders

esrbuilders

nice panels

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Still working on the trans cooler installation in the sunliner,going from a cheap aftermarket to a 90s truck auxillary cooler that has more cooling tubes. I had the aftermarket cooler right on the radiator and there was all kinds of junk between the two so it must not have been doing its job,making brackets to mount the cooler about 3/4 from the radiator so this will not happen again.

11. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought a nice tach to add to my little collection...make waves brand... Never knew this brand existed. Its really nice , metal body...New too boot... image.jpeg

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  12. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

Looks like a lot of folks are getting stuff done .......
    And kudos to the guy the helped his friend get his stuff
    Nothing worst than friends bailing.,....,
    So I haven’t posted, but I hope ya don’t think I am not getting any thing done ,,,,,,,
    At 64 getting up can be chore
    Any how , after my grand daughter was born
    ( cute as a button )
    Yah I have a soft spot
    I made it back to home to batch it with the never ending 39 project
    Yup I thinking I am at the point where it’s wind at my back ,
    Ya know the feeling
    Its Wednesday and Friday is around the corner
    For those that don’t know I live in Maine
    And the maiden voyage for this 39 will be Nova Scotia
    So yah sitting in the garage after cleaning the mess that I made while working on the car
    Got the music playing ( Doobie brothers , listen to the music ,, )
    I think bathe wind is creeping up and just maybe I have reached that Plato
    ( blue tomorrow, by 7and5 ).
    Happy motoring from Detroit Maine

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

And finishing up with “ herd them stirring “ by fleet foxes ..... to those that find it hard
    Keep on cranking

14. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Picked up a decent condition Allen distributor machine for $70 off CL only a few miles from my house. Nice old guy selling it to boot. Looking for a manual now...

IMG_4986.JPG

15. Well it was yesterday, but who is looking. :rolleyes:
    Gas tank in, redid some taillight wiring connections, gassed it up, no leaks.:cool:
    Now I can start cleaning her up for Jalopyrama. :D IMG_4323.JPG

This is why I have been Too Tired!:eek:

IMG_4304.JPG

jazz1, 56don, Lil32 and 6 others like this.
  16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Got the trans cooler installation done and next I will install a new rear window.

Attached Files:

low budget likes this.
  17. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Hauled my T Coupe body off to the media blaster. Wasted a couple hours bull shittin as they are car guys. Came home and made a hillbilly jig and fixed a door hinge. Welding credit goes to my friend Bruce as my hands aren't that steady anymore. IMG_0316.jpg IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0328.jpg IMG_0329.jpg IMG_0330.jpg

18. you nailed it, the engine stand has it's time of a life :D yesterday the crankshaft went in, so from now on i'm supportin' the engine with a jack. i feel pain with the bellhousing threads.o_O the crankshaft is one heavy piece of steel alone. i used the crane to sink it into.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  19. huhuhu, great shot, j, apprentice for a lifetime :D:D:D

j hansen likes this.
  20. Damn, what a piece of art! :)

gearhead1600 likes this.
  21. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

So yah I’m still working on the 39
    It seems either I got a bad case of detail itis or this thing has Morfed into a project from .... , not sure but suspect it was my fault for conceiving this idea of putting a 50 ford chassis under a 39 sedan ,
    I always wondered what mule did they use to test all the innovations that the 49 brought with that new body style ....
    And what ( think his name was ) Gregory thought when his design was dismissed in favor or what came to be the 49
    Any way I started this project about 12 yrs ago and have been on and off with this for a long time , and now steady ( baring life , honey dews , and even grand children ) and think this year is a possibility.........
    It has pushed me to new levels ,and for that I am thankful for
    So what did I do today
    I just spent another day working on a project from hell and kicking back at 1:38am on a cold night in Maine
    Loving it and feeling it was time well spent

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  22. gearhead1600

gearhead1600

Well 1:40 am and getting some more done
    IMG_1756.JPG 56904616436__04682E20-0802-45DD-AFDB-2207A8624023.JPG IMG_1844.JPG IMG_1856.JPG IMG_1858.JPG IMG_1861.JPG
    So some more progress
    And hoping this helps other keep there projects going ....

23. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Still bangin' on the body....last piece. Yea..
    IMG_1492.JPG

Jalopy Joker and gearhead1600 like this.
  24. The weather liar predicted rain and maybe a dusting of snow as the cold air moved in. So just to be safe I went and cut a load of firewood yesterday. And it rained all nite. then this morning it changed to snow. Huge wet flakes. 4 inches of heavy wet snow. So all I did today was feed the wood stove & play with my two youngest grandsons and feed our animals. I seen on face book pictures of all the wrecks. They had a 12 car pileup on hwy 25 near Powhattan Ar. A police car was off in the ditch on hwy 62. Only Idiots get out and drive in weather like this. Our snow is quite often wet it packs into ice and is still wet & slick on top. As dangerious as Black Ice. You cant make snowballs . It makes a wet heavy Ice ball you could hurt someone if you hit them with one. I didn't even walk to the mail box. Tomorrow it will be sunny and the roads will be clear by noon.

raven likes this.
  25. WTF really

WTF really

With some great advice I made some boxing plates for my model A frame. He's going to help me install them soon. 20190117_153240.jpg 20190119_131423.jpg 20190119_142625.jpg

esrbuilders, Lil32 and gearhead1600 like this.
  26. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Went to the Roadkill Zip-Tie Drags in Tucson, AZ. Watched Squirrel win the elimination races in his altered Chevy II (The red drag car named "Plan II). Had most of my kids and grand kids there. Most of the action was an old fashioned "Run-what-you-got" event, most of us running just for the fun of it. We ran 3 vehicles:
    1962 Volvo PV544 that is slowly looking like a 1950's mild custom
    1952 Bell Telephone service bed - mounted on an OT F150 (Cummins diesel powered)
    2012 Import pickup - Just in case one of the above needed to come home on a UHaul trailer

A fun family reunion, and the family got a taste of drag racing. They got lots of runs under their belts.

I was the only one to hurt a vehicle (clutch slave cylinder started leaking <again <sigh>>). I did drive it home.

p.s. There were some Traditional vehicles running. My favorite was a white 1940 Ford coupe, not sure what motor it had in it, but it sounded mellow going down the track - the exhaust sound took my head back to the 1960's

27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Started the process on installing a new rear window in the sunliner,top and window been on since 63 and normally will not work on a top that is that old but this one never sat outside much and is still soft.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and gearhead1600 like this.
  28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Got the window in and it came out better then I thought it would,I would not recommend trying to mess with a 56 year old top as it could snowball into a complete replacement very easy. I just sewn a new window in the existing window assembly which made it a bit harder and need to find some wire on for the seam above the window but only have a little over 30 dollars in materials so far and about 4 hours to do it.

Attached Files:

29. Built a PS pump bracket template, to fit Saginaw pump to my 351W. Has to fit under the cooling compressor. Plans to drive car to west coast in June.

gearhead1600 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.