Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Color do you think this Model A Gasser Was? Determination

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Brent-, Jan 14, 2019.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've had this picture of the Determination A/G Coupe sitting in an inspiration folder for my own model a build, which will be restarting (this week) after nearly a decade of being pushed aside. My car will be full-fendered and it's either going to be all one color (black or fathom green) or similar to this... which is what, black fenders and???

Not much is known about this car. If there is info on it, I certainly haven't come across it. I always wonder, what color was the car's body? I assume the fenders were black but the body is one that I'm always curious about.

Was it primer? Yellow? Silver? Beige? Primer? Or something else? What's your guess?

For all I know, the reason other photos don't exist is because the color was horrid, in real life. I doubt it, though. This thing is a beast, I imaging the color was pretty fitting of the day.

So, what do you think? What would've looked best if you were to choose a color? I'd love to hear it.

Determination.jpg

[​IMG]

Edit: Found a pic and added it to the end of the thread but it needs to be up here, too.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  2. esrbuilders

esrbuilders

Not sure but bitchin

Don Moyer and -Brent- like this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

No idea but if your's ends up looking like that I'm going to like it, a lot.

4. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Don Moyer, Bugsy48 and -Brent- like this.
  5. White body with black fenders.

Don Moyer, -Brent- and norms30a like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate to say yellow but I think it is yellow. If the A?G in the windshield is white, then the body is not white, it is darker. Maybe silver?
    The guy in the background is wearing a white shirt and likely khakis. Body is close to the color of his slacks.
    My Guess.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. Budget36

Budget36

I was thinking yellow with black fenders...but whatever color it was/is, it's bad ass.

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

All you can tell in a B&W photo is the shade, not the color but I'm thinking yellow with black fenders would have made it look as bad ass as it appears to have been! :cool:

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

I just heard @Don Moyer may own this car. I hope so.

Don Moyer, catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

just a guess...it is a model buuut id say this is probably correct Screenshot_20190114-225825_Samsung Internet.jpg

12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Here is something from Colorize It: https://demos.algorithmia.com/colorize-photos/
    Also from Petal Pixel: https://petapixel.com/2016/07/14/app-magically-turns-bw-photos-color-ones/

The programs were posted earlier by Wraymen here on the HAMB.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/black-white-pics-colors.1129478/

It looks silver with black fenders. The Colorize program got the block wall, but also added it to the Model A coupe. Only someone who knows that block wall at the dragstrip could say if the color was accurate. After all, it is a computer program...but, it is interesting.

Jnaki

upload_2019-1-15_4-10-15.png

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

You'd have to work pretty hard to make that nasty coupe look bad. Any two complementary dark/light shades are gonna be killer. Get out the color wheel and enjoy!
    [​IMG]

Don Moyer, -Brent- and warhorseracing like this.
  15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah, I've seen that. I've just seen enough cars that looked white, gray, or silver and they ended up being blues, yellows, beige, rose, etc. It could be silver, I just wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Don Moyer and oliver westlund like this.
  16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I was goin to say black and white !

17. Ghost28

Ghost28

I like the silver color, and I would have painted it like that.

18. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

It almost looks like it could have been that butternut yellow with chocolate brown fenders,those 2 colors were pretty popular back in the day?Or even the silver with the dark maroon fenders?,there must be someone on here that remembers the car,it looks too good to be a one race wonder;),bet it was around for a while,unless it crashed? Harvey.

19. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The body could have been gray...Ford had a light gray, I believe it was called Dove Gray that might be close.

My 2 cents...and probably not even worth that:);)

20. biggest wheel'y bar wheels I have ever seen.
    I like the silver and black on that car.

Don Moyer likes this.
  21. jimdillon

jimdillon

It sure is a good looking car and trying to pick the exact shade from an old B & W photo is quite difficult. I would throw pale blue in the mix as well. Hard to beat the look of the Malco gasser 33 Willys and maybe he was emulating the car color. I painted quite a bit back then with both silver and greys and it could be either but for some reason I would bet it is not silver. When you compare the shade of the injection stacks to the panel besides it, it does not shout silver to me. The photo does not seem to show any distinctive sheen. Maybe the car is in a photograph in the background of a race track photo. Any idea what tracks it may have run at?

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

Jim,

I could certainly look out my window at a pale blue A with black fenders. That Malco 33 color is sharp, too.

Just for experiment's sake, I turned this photo B&W.

OhioGeorgeWillys.jpg OhioGeorgeWillys.jpg

alfin32, brianf31, Don Moyer and 2 others like this.
  23. jimdillon

jimdillon

I could look out over the cowl and appreciate that color (or any color for that matter) if the car was a tribute to the original. Would be cool though if you could find the actual color.

Don Moyer likes this.
  24. -Brent-

-Brent-

My car isn't a tribute car. It's just that this car is one of the cars that I'm building my car in the spirit of. There are a couple others, which are a little less rowdy.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Don Moyer likes this.
  25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Brent I was not necessarily referring to your project but just pointing out it would be great to look out over the cowl of that car or one very similar. It certainly has the look that is hard to beat.

-Brent- and Don Moyer like this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember seeing pictures of that car. Can't really remember the color. But I saw this thread last night and first thing that came to mind was light blue. Not quite as light as Ohio George's, but close. Definitely could be wrong. But I do remember that whatever color it was, it struck me as being somewhat unusual.

Don Moyer, -Brent- and Bandit Billy like this.
  27. -Brent-

-Brent-

NOW I'm really curious!

Don Moyer likes this.
  28. Fathom green with black fenders would look bad ass........just sayin’

blownhemi48, Don Moyer and -Brent- like this.
  29. raven

raven

This car was silver with black fenders. One of my favorites.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.