Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy body removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kobermiller, Dec 24, 2017.

1. kobermiller

kobermiller

Hey y'all,

Working on my first restoration project out here in NC, a 1954 Chevy 150 that was my great-grandfathers car way back when. We're diving in big time on this old beast and we're looking for suggestions on where to disconnect the steering for the body removal. We looked at removing the steering box, but wondered if removing the steering column would be a better route?

I'd appreciate any advice. This is our first restoration that isn't a tractor, so we're in new territory now!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Steering box an column are one and the same. To get it out drop the box. Are you can work it out slowly while raising the body. Much eaiser to drop the box. Shifter and wheel both need to be removed from col. emergency brake also. Might want to drop the gas tank too. Brake and clutch along with the other stuff.

Grabis and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that it , then unbolt & lift off ?? Is he finished explaining ?

4. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Disconnect brake lines at MC.

5. MC is under the floor on the frame. Unbolt the clutch and brake arms and leave the master in place.

6. Grabis

Grabis

I don’t have near the knowledge of these guys but I did two of these bodies by myself last year. I was able to remove the fenders and grill in one piece. Remove the bumper first so you don’t fight the splash pan. ( I didn’t on my first)
    [​IMG]
    I used this engine lift.
    I had a helluva time with the steering wheel but as they said above, dropping the box is the best bet.
    I think I removed one body mount bolt. The other 15 snapped.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Grabis

Grabis

If I remember correctly, the rear shocks are bolted through the trunk pan. Don’t forget those haha.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

buzzbrother likes this.
  8. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

Not hard. Mine has been sitting on a jig in my driveway for 6 months. you have engine and trans still in?
    Regardless
    Few beers, few buddies, few hours. Pedals, steering column, throttle cable, Drop the fuel tank, rear shocks, e brake, battery and cables any connections, think there is 8-10 mount bolts. I used cribbing some jacks and an engine lift, put it on rollers, built rotisserie jig around it...all in a weekend.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    The37Kid likes this.
  9. kobermiller

kobermiller

Now that it's been a year, the body is almost ready for lift (I unfortunately live 5 hours from my project). The only lacking thing to drop is the column/steering box. I didn't realize they were one piece at first but everything seems straight forward enough to drop it out. The issue i'm having is that I can't get the pitman arm to budge with any tool that fits there (puller or pickle fork, heat and hammers applied). Any suggestions?

10. F&J

F&J

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some guys just don't know the correct puller exists F&J. I've got one like that but usually use my SnapOn simiar to the CJ115 if it fits over the end of the pitman arm. SnapOn CJ 115P.jpg
    Kobe, each body is a bit different in how you lift it if you use the cherry picker or chain hoist you want to hook the ends of the chain out as wide on the body as you can and you might want to fasten them a bit high on the front maybe making some plates that bolt to some of the hood hinge bolt holes unless you have a lot of strong help to stabilize the body and keep it from tipping sideways. I'm not sure how the back is set up but on my 51 Merc there were two holes on the sides of the back of the trunk where two bolts went through the trunk floor and through the frame. I used those holes to bolt a chain to to lift the back.
    I've known a lot of guys who lift the body off the frame high enough to lay a pair of 4x4 or 4x6 beams between the body and the frame and then jack the frame up high enough so the bottom of the car will clear the tires and block the body up by the beams and lower the frame and roll it out from under the body. The bottom picture is my 31 Victoria hanging from a chain hoist hooked to my gantry in the front and you can see the beam on my cherry picker over the weeds at the back. This was frame an all to get it off the boat trailer but the body will probably come off the frame the same way. 31 Victoria hanging from chain hoist.jpg

harpo1313 likes this.
  12. kobermiller

kobermiller

Thanks a lot, I'll try one like that!

13. I changed the steering on my '50 Chevy without a puller. Maybe the next arm comes off easy? I don't remember now.

14. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

disconnect steering linkage from pitman arm . way easier. remove cotter pin and unscrew till ball falls out. might want to get a assembly manual for car.

15. elba

elba

Is that factory hole in the floor pan used for access to disconnect the tranny ?

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's how you remove it with the motor in place. comes up through the floor.

17. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

53 and 54 did not have removable panel.