Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest any HAMBers around Canon City Colorado?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, Jan 11, 2019.

1. metalman

metalman

This is something I've been working on for over a year but now it's official. Yesterday I closed on a commercial building in Canon and relocating from Albuquerque. I've been spending time up there and it seems to have a pretty good general car scene going on but curious how many "traditional" minded folks are up here. Probably as they come up I will need some recommendations for places to get the stuff I have to sublet out done (upholstery shops, machine shops, ect), realising that might have to be Pueblo, the Springs or even Denver (2 hr drive, no big deal) on some things. I'll send out an invite to come by, check out the new digs and meet folks once I get everything moved (not fun) and the shop set up.
    20190110_145236.jpg Oh, for what it's worth the building is actually 2 units, I'll have my hot rod shop in one and my brother is going to be doing his vintage camp trailer restos in the other. Going to have to make him hide his damn Prius around back or something though!

2. lilmann

lilmann

Welcome to CO!

We live east of Parker but drive through Canon City when visiting family, seems like a great town.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome to Colorado from the Springs. Pikes Peak Motor company is between Penrose and Canon City. There is a good local car show in Florence May 19th and the Dirt Drags in Monte Vista in June.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Montana1 and Countn'Carbs like this.

4. Terraizer

Terraizer

I am in Penrose 10 miles east of Canon City. Been in the area my whole life. Not a lot of real traditional guys in the area, more street rod and 4x4. Colorado springs and Denver is your best bet for good machine and rebuilder shops, pretty much all gone in Fremont country, good sand blasters and powder coat in pueblo. There is another vintage camper place in Canon city next to zerby automotive. Welcome to the area. Fremont county prison capitol of the usa.

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  5. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I'm in Canon City right now visiting my stepson and his significant other. It's the first time I've been here but it seems like a nice place to live. They own Clover Custom Crafts and just opened for business. I wish you well.

6. 150J/F

150J/F

Welcome to Cañon City. I visited your shop a while back along with a buddy who lives in Rio Rancho. There are quite a few hot rods and shops in this area. Good club (Cañon Car Club). Kevin Zerby Builds cars and knows everybody and you got to stop by Fast Eddie's Hot Rod Shop ( front engine dragsters , etc.). I think you will like it here.

Mike

7. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

One of the HAMBers, Pinstripper 40, has a shop in Florence. There is a vintage trailer campground west of Canon City near Royal Gorge. The yard west of Penrose has a LARGE collection of oldies. Welcome to Colorado.

8. metalman

metalman

Been to Pikes Peak Motors, even caught a couple of their monthly swap meets. I'm sure I'll be taking advantage of that place. I did go to the shows at the Abby and Florence last year, pretty cool. Been to the Dirt Drags before as well.

The vintage camper place next door to Zerby's is my brother's place. That's the building we bought, he was renting it for the last 5 years, his landlord decided to sell the place.

9. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I just did a speedometer on a 53 Ford for Zerby's last week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. metalman

metalman

Yeah Mike, I remember you guys stopping by. I was hanging out at Zerby's this week, Kevin gave me the 5 cent tour and showed me the stuff they are building. Seems like good people. I met Eddie last year at the Florence show but haven't been able to catch him at his shop yet. I do believe I'm going to like it here.

Do you know the name of Pinstripper 40 shop or where in Florence it is? I'd like to check it out, been all over Florence and didn't see any type of hot rod shop. There was a shop next door to a big machine shop a guy was building some hot rod (kinda rat?) stuff in but he closed up. I looked at that building to buy as well but the deal in Canon was better.
    The vintage campground up on the hill you are talking about is the Starlight. My brother and his better half own that as well. Matter of fact I have my motor home parked there, that's where I'm living for now. I'll probably buy a real house eventually but for now the motor home suites me fine, I'm single and don't need much, having a shop to play with my cars is more important!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  11. Terraizer

Terraizer

I thought that building looked like the one next to Zerbys. Again welcome to Fremont country. I believe Pinstriper40's shop is behind the old superfoods now a antique store, no signs looks like a storage unit. The shop next to Foxs machine shop was ran by Ken Trusti he now works at Penrorse Auto Salvage.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

Wow, I lived in Canon from 1979 to 1988! My brother still lives there but will be no help (I inherited the gearhead-ness in the family lol). I don't know if anyone will remember it but we built and owned Royal Gorge Mini Golf on Main Street next door to Gobin's Office Supply.

Every May is the Blossom Festival, and it used to have a related car show. You already found the one at The Abbey (just getting up to speed when I moved). I'll post again if I remember others.

I hope the local economy improved in the meantime! It alone forced a relocation to California. I sure miss the scenery.

13. metalman

metalman

I guess the mini golf and Gobin's both are gone? The Blossom Festival last year was in April and the Abbey car show was held the same weekend. I went, had a good time but the weather kinda put a dampener on it. BTW, ot on here but I have a passion for 68 Barracudas as well, have owned 4 of them. Wouldn't mine having another!