Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is "Holy Grail" Air Cleaner for circa 1939 - Frank Burrell manifold / Carter WDO ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by John Mereness, Jan 23, 2017.

1. John Mereness

John Mereness

Update 2018: prototype Frank Burrell dual carb intake manifold with Carter WDO carbs

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  2. John Mereness

John Mereness

Yes, it is a V-8 Flathead Cadillac/LaSalle

3. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. John Mereness

John Mereness

It did not have any sort of support for a "Traditional" generator mounted (or any other place for mounting) a Cadillac/LaSalle style oil bath air cleaner set up (ie no bracket(s) to support for the oil bath unit).

5. John Mereness

John Mereness

Car was built in Pasadena, CA - so they had access to the LA beginnings of "Hot Rods"

6. That is really cool - not many Cad/LaSalle engines in hotrods . . . during any period of time. If you get into the engine and need to ponder anything performance related, drop me a line - have spent WAY too much time in the bowels of one of these suckers! LOL

EngineBlowerDriveMockup3.JPG

560 copy2.jpg

czuch, UNSHINED 2, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

crazy stuff there
    way over the top
    I would be happy with just a simple 2x2 intake :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. John Mereness

John Mereness

9. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

engine1.jpg engine2.jpg

Attached Files:

UNSHINED 2 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Hey Flat Roy - nicely done! I know we've talked about your engine before - nice to see it! I know some of the 'Traditional Folks' might grumble, but this is probably the only blown flathead I've seen with a late model blower, power-steering and air . . . you obviously spent a TON of time on this engine - my hats off to yah.

What blower manifold is on it - one that you made?

11. Back to Air Cleaners: You might consider using two 1932 Ford Air cleaners - even if you have to modify the bottoms of them -- they would be 'period correct' and have a certain amount of style to them. They have a beautiful design and would also chrome up really nice.

They are expensive items - so if $$$ are an issue, probably not! LOL

Here is one on the 59AB engine that came in my 32 Cabriolet:

2014-10-23 16.52.51 copy.jpg

UNSHINED 2 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. It is a bit nuts to invest the amount of work and $$$ we have in this thing, but it's sole purpose is for land speed racing at Bonneville - we've gone 185 mph with it so far and made 650 HP on alky . . . so that old beast has proven it's strength and capabilities. There is only one other guy that we know of who has set records with a Cad/LaSalle at BVille - and he is our good friend 'Gary' - who runs a T roadster (different class).

egads, Paul and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

these are what you want. CIMG6498.JPG

14. That supercharged mill looks like a lot of good times- but I'm not sure that orange Fram is what I'd consider the "holy grail" of circa 1939 air cleaners

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. adam401

adam401

Dumb question but what are they from? I love those!

16. Squablow

Squablow

Optional dry element air cleaners for the 47-54 Chevy pickup trucks.

adam401 likes this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

[​IMG]

If you search for Frank Burrell air cleaner this picture comes up on the Custom Car Chronicle. Assuming you had a real prototype intake, you probably had this matching air cleaner, possibly made by Burrell himself. Wouldn't be impossible to recreate using some factory pieces.

PapaVolume and Max Gearhead like this.
  18. Squablow

Squablow

So maybe these were actually produced? If they were, it seems natural that the pricey built 1939 custom car would have the matching air cleaner to the intake.

[​IMG]

19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These kind of look like cut down 37 ish ford filters. But on our coupe below we used 35 era ford filters but the bases had to be offset on a regular manifold.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

20. John Mereness

John Mereness

Cool picture - have not seen before ! I suspect it had a different style air cleaner though- first, there was no brackets for mounting this style of oil bath air cleaner (nothing on the heads, nothing on the generator bracket, and/or .....Second, width could pose clearance issues "car has a "chop" though the cowl and sits lower than a standard Cadillac/LaSalle. Third, whatever air cleaners they were they were something 'neat" enough that someone five finger discounted them.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  21. NorthManCad

NorthManCad

Will give new live in this discussion, because my running project, a 34` Ford Truck with 42` Cadillac Flathead and 3 speed stick shift Lassalle gear box.
    I am in progress to change the intake and carburetors and not sure which air cleaner give the best performance.
    The engine was equipped with a Burrell dual carb intake and carter WDO`s
    upload_2018-10-7_13-37-58.png

upload_2018-10-7_13-34-37.png

Here you see the very nice air cleaner I take on the WDO´s.
    The air cleaner opening shows backwards, because there is not enough space for the hood it they shows forward.

upload_2018-10-7_13-46-46.png

After a test run there was a little engine over heating from dirty canals in cylinder heat. Was strange, because the engine has a complete overhaul…, I think there was rest dirt from engine cleaning in small holes. However, I take the heads off and now I will flush the complete engine.
    I also take the carburetors from intake to check all gaskets and make a rebuilt.
    During the order for rebuilt kits, I found a Edmunds dual carb intake for 48` Caddy Flatheads on eBay. The seller give this to me for a very good price and I take it.

upload_2018-10-7_14-20-0.png
    upload_2018-10-7_14-20-43.png

I love these Edmunds intakes and have also a very rare on my Chrysler straight 8 ;):).

upload_2018-10-7_14-2-56.png

After a lot of search and reading in this forum, my brain begin to work little more with all this input.
    I learn in the forum that most driver in the 50` take the Carter WCD 595s carbs for a dual carb option.
    I compare the WDO´s and the WCD´s and learn also, the have different holes for throttle.
    WDO´s ca. 33mm and WCD´s ca. 36mm!!
    The WCD´s are much bigger inside and outside, have more reservoir.
    Now I will build a new setup with Edmunds intake and Carter WCD 595s.
    I have found 2 carbs for rebuild and also the rebuild kits.
    The WCD are also ca. 1" higher than the WDO´s, what means with my air cleaner I have not the space to hood.
    I need other ones, but what is the best solution for the WCD 595 and what is flat enough??
    In the HAMB, I found also this:

upload_2018-10-7_14-24-29.png

I would be glad to become any expert opinion from yours about air cleaner, carbs and so...
    Dirk

UNSHINED 2, kidcampbell71 and egads like this.
  22. NorthManCad

NorthManCad

Nobody with a nice idea??;)

23. Jacobrpest

Jacobrpest

Is there anyone out there selling dual carb intakes for flathead cadillac motors? I've tried contacting the flat caddy.com site and I get not response. Anyone know why?

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

24E55F2C-3126-4299-8D43-BC9BF3362CE6.jpeg 704CFF4E-E427-47C5-BEE7-2A40C2FE50F8.jpeg In answer to the question above, these are Burrell Intakes. They’re available through Frank’s son Barry Burrell. These are on our 47 Flathead Cad.Here’s the info: 0BD5FBFB-F33D-434E-9245-D0028B855D14.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Jacobrpest

Jacobrpest

That's a screenshot from flatcaddy.com if I'm not mistaken. I've sent messages to the webmaster of this page via the "contact" tab to no avail. I'll try getting a hold of Barry via that [email protected] email account and let you know if it works. Thanks

26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That’s the last info that I have of Barry’s. Most have gotten through to him via this info. Last that I knew they’re still available. ;). BTW, P.M’d you.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  27. dan griffin

dan griffin

This add is for Frank Burrell's flat Cad speed equipment. Frank was a engineer at Cadillac so all of the parts looked like factory made. Also they were made after WW-2. I never thought to ask Frank but I suspect the duel carb setup was originally designed for the Cadillac powered tanks.

28. CadMad

CadMad

First response to John’s question shows the Aircleaner that I made to go on my 39 Cadillac.
    You can’t fit the style shown in the booklet under the hood.
    Barry Burrell is a Facebook mate. I’ll contact him to see what the deal is.

29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Jeez, get those ugly UPC stickers off the air cleaners!
    (And they look like they won't flow worth beans!)

[​IMG]

czuch likes this.
  30. peter hehir, from petes speed shop is casting a few things and can be seen on Instagram and Facebook. the one shown below is actually adjustable with carburetor hole on a sliding plate.

this is the only picture i could find without logging into either....

upload_2019-1-14_7-14-58.jpeg

czuch likes this.