Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1959 BelAir 4DR to 2DR conversion?!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jerone77*, Jan 8, 2019.

1. The OPs starting car is a nice car.
    Don't ruin a nice over your fantasy, you should have saved up or sold some of your other projects or what not, to get the right car.
    Just fix this damn car and drive it as it.
    You would be surprised how many of these "conversion" project go dead real quick and you have less than what you started with.
    Swallow your pride and drive the 4 door you bought. You may like it and there is nothing wrong it.

Jerone77* and Black_Sheep like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

yeah...but they're so damn ugly! at least those mid-late 50s Chevys are, with the little quarter window.

scotty t likes this.
  3. I think My 60 Pontiac has the same roof and glass as some chevy's. And I agree with Squirrel The little Quarter window is not appealing. 60 pontiac 003.JPG

Jerone77* and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. injebreck99

injebreck99
    from Norfolk UK

Good job I like it then, each to his own!

squirrel likes this.
  5. evintho

evintho

Leave it alone! That would make a cool family cruiser! You're looking at a ton of work and it'll never look exactly like a 2-door. Save your money and skills for something more feasible! I love the look of the car, as it is. Leave it alone!

Jerone77* and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

My two cents:

If you've got metalworking skills, a donor hardtop that is rusted out below the beltline, space to work, the appropriate tools, and a healthy budget, proceed with your plan.

Otherwise, try to flip this car for a profit and go hunting for a decent hardtop project.

7. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I hope you have skills cuz going from sedan to hardtop will be a challenge. Obviously it would be best to find a rusty donor with a good topside. Differences are numerous.

Way easier to make a cool 2 door sedan or better yet, a convertible!

Good luck and let me know when you need parts...

8. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I suggest you go find one of these. More money but a much better start. P5233976.JPG

kidcampbell71 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

This is what I would do, and I'm not just saying that, as I've done it a bunch of times already. No one is going to convince me that it's not a huge improvement.

(I'd also ditch the 70's rally wheels for something more period looking)

59.jpg

Xtrom, belair, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  10. 59-60 GM cars all have the same greenhouses on each body style except for the Electra 225 and a big Cadillac hardtop sedan that share a round top rather than the flat one.

11. I think what you have done is weld up the rear doors and remove the divider for the quarter window. leaving the front doors and B pillar stock? It appears to work on this style of body? On a 1950 two door sedan delivery the doors are the same as 4 dr front doors/

12. Squablow

Squablow

The photoshop has longer front doors. The 2 door sedan doors are like 8 or 10 inches longer than the 4 door fronts. If you just eliminate the back doors, the proportions get really wacky.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  13. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

This old shot popped up on the "This Was Americar" page on Facebook, yesterday. Screenshot_20190111-191633_Facebook.jpeg

14. Jerone77*

Jerone77*

Indeed my friend. Thats the great part about building a custom ride. I really like that idea

15. Jerone77*

Jerone77*

I'm stationed at Ellsworth AirForce Base. In Box Elder, South Dakota.

16. Jerone77*

Jerone77*

Holy no!! 12G's..!!!??? The seller must be smoking crack. No engine or trans..... It doesnt even have floor hahaa.... Yeah thats over kill. But I really appreciate you adding this to the convo.

17. Jerone77*

Jerone77*

Thats is bad ass. But I still dislike the post... But as someone else stated. Suicide the rear doors, convertible conversion Or just build it and leave it as is.... It does have the original motor and tranny. So I already have everything there. I also have the original wheels... What it really comes down to is the fact that I just want to build on something thru the years or year. Being in the military, away from everyone and everything you love takes a toll. So having something to build, to make you really feel normal again. Is why this idea was created.
    But fellas I really appreciate your time and advice. I also have a 65 impala, 2DR. I could just sell them both to put the money toward a actual 59 2DR. But still alot to think about.

BigDogSS likes this.
  18. Squablow

Squablow

Let me just say, convertible conversion is probably 2 or 3X the amount of work that a 2 door hardtop swap would be, assuming you're doing it right, factory style with a full folding top and correct length doors. If you mean just cutting the roof off, that would be a huge waste of an otherwise decent car. You either have to do it properly with a donor car or don't do it at all, IMO.

19. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

listen to squablow-2 dr sedan conversion would follow the same plan as the 55-57 conversions that turn out nice.Hardtop conversion would most likely be on craigslist in a year as a project car.I do agree though the first thing I think of when I see a 4 four door is"poor guy couldn't afford a 2 door

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you will need all this and more to do this right. probably more bracing in the floor and maybe a different back seat? earlier hardtops had different back seats.... blobs on what you don't need....
    Project1.jpg

Chainwheelausto likes this.
  21. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Man, that is gorgeous! Like a chubby girl in yoga pants. All about the comfortable ride and extra fries with the shake!

22. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

I’ve done the 4 to 2 door conversion thing on a 55 Chevy. It sucks, don’t do it. There’s so many 59 2-doors out there that need love, just save your pennies and buy one. Enjoy your more door as is, it’s plenty cool already. I drive a 63 more door every day, and for daily those extra doors are handy.

23. What’s up with this?!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. 6sally6

6sally6

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Chainwheelausto likes this.
  25. Chazbooth

Chazbooth

Hey guys have just brought 2 59 4 door post cars with the intention to restore one to factory and make a custom out of the other. Quiet rusty. My question is is the roof the same in a 4 door post car and 2 door post car? I'm aware doors are different etc.

26. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Well, what is the progress on this project? Waiting to hear. I would like to see a conversion, but I agree on the convertible option. unnamed.jpg

27. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Well, "quiet rusty" is better than "quite rusty," right?

ffr1222k likes this.