Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Are shift lever arms all the same?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elcohaulic, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I'm installing a Hurst Autostick on my Turbo 400 and need the little shift lever arm. Its the piece or linkage with the square hole that connects the shifters linkage to.
    Are they all the same as far as hole size or do I need a specific one for the Turbo 400?

Thank you..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    1Nimrod likes this.
  2. BJR

BJR

The distance from the slot to the hole may be different.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

While I do not know the exact answer to your question about ALL levers...
    If you are attempting to put a lever onto a T-400...yes, the lever should fit...a T-400 !
    Plus as noted, yes again, the length needs to be correct for the stops/detentes within the shifter mechanism.

Mike

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    1933_willys_77 and Elcohaulic like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

No, they are not all the same. Turbo 400 is different than Turbo 350 IIRC. Other levers may physically bolt on, but like said above, the length could cause a difference in ratio to the shifter. And a lever for one may have a different bend than another to clear something on the case.

EDIT: According to post below, they are indeed the same lever. I must have been thinking of another transmission being different.

Elcohaulic likes this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's an example of long or short arms and how they work with differing pivot points and a slotted arm as a reference.
    upload_2019-1-13_11-25-42.png

6. You are asking about a lever for a T400, yet the picture is of a stick shift arm. You do know that, right?

Beanscoot likes this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

GEOMETRY. That's the reason we all took GEOMETRY in high school, so we'd know how to find/make a TH-400 shift lever, and a lot of other things we come up against all the time. I used to think I'd never need Algebra or Geometry in my work/career, but as an X-Ray tech, I did, even though when working, I never thought about it for a second. Measure the distance on your SHIFTER, from the center of the center, pivot bolt, to the middle of the hole in the ARM on the shifter. Your shift lever should be the same distance, or half that distance, or double that distance to work "correctly". However, the truth is, it's probably not all that important with such a small distance. I can measure the transmission lever on one of my Hurst Auto-Stick One's if you need it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

OK, just went out to the garage/shop, and made some measurements. On the shifter tower, from the center of the pivot bolt, to the center of the hole, on the other end of the arm, is 4-1/2 inches. For a TH-350/TH400 shifter lever, it measures 2-1/2 inches from the center of the shifter stud hole, to the other end of the lever center hole (even though the hole for the trans stud is a rectangular shape), measures out at 2-1/2 ". So, a little discrepancy to my prior statement. That's with 67 year old, vision corrected, eyes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    1Nimrod and Elcohaulic like this.
  8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Same transmission lever part number 7579 was used on both TH350 and 400 Auto/Stick 1 shifters. Shifter mounting bracket and linkage rod were different. You could modify a stock horseshoe type lever and use rod ends with threaded rod. Center to center on Hurst lever is 2 1/4" and the round hole is about 5/8" off center from an imaginary line directly through the middle of the rectangular hole on the opposite end.

DSCN9711.JPG DSCN9712.JPG DSCN9713.JPG DSCN9714.JPG DSCN9715.JPG DSCN9724.JPG DSCN9722.JPG
    DSCN9732.JPG

9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

WOW!! THANKS!!!!

I have the rod just need the lever. Now I know what to look for..I'm going to try using the stock Horseshoe lever. Thanks to all the excellent info I got! Thanks so much!!

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

That should work Squirrel. I see the turbo 350 and 400 both use the same #7579 lever...

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I mean no offence to anyone with what I'm about to say;
    It amazes me that guys will spend money (and time) on stuff like this (and shipping) when it's so easily made.
    I have, amongst other things, a bandsaw, drill press, belt and disc sander, measuring and layout tools, files and other hand tools. I could whittle up a lever like this in a half hour or so. It would fit first time, wouldn't be a universal "fits all sizes" piece that would probably need modification.
    I'm an old fart with fab and machine shop chops, I'd rather make my own parts. The old time traditional hot rodders that we revere so much didn't order stuff from Jegs or Summit, they used tools and ingenuity. I suggest you try it, you'll probably enjoy it.

13. squirrel

squirrel

I've made a couple of those levers, myself...

lothiandon1940 and Elcohaulic like this.
  14. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Haha, I was just down the garage hunting up scraps of steel to make one since the stock one can't be made to work. I don't have a band saw or drill press either. I do have files, electric grinder and a Sawzall though..
    Thanks to Landseaandair, its a piece of cake!!

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

A good vise, a hacksaw and a cordless drill and files are all you really need, if you have some time.

1Nimrod, 19Eddy30 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. If the rectangular hole is too much of an issue, then one could splice a tab onto an OEM bracket, as pictured.
    Probably would need a small welder though...

1Nimrod and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. That's where many of us started out.
    Many years ago, Li'l John Buttera wrote a column for Hot Rod magazine called "Makin' Parts", wherein he demonstrated how to fab hot rod parts using only a bandsaw, drill press and belt sander. Ya don't need CNC mills, lathes and lasers for everything. He was one of the best ever homebuilders, right up there with Al Teague.
    Nowadays there's so much information available online for sale and for free, and so many "entry level" tools, it's easy to get started honing your chops, if you try. There's a great deal of satisfaction to be gained by building stuff yourself.

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    1Nimrod likes this.
  19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

We used to use brass ones to replace the nylon ones, I think they came on a Mr Gasket card. They outlasted the nylon ones by a wide margin.

20. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I was thinking with the three on the tree, couldn't you shorten these levers and make the shifts shorter and faster?

I always liked the three on the tree but the length of each shift seemed to kill it for me..

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

If you shorten those to decrease shifter travel, it will increase the effort required to shift. The 8 inch straight Hurst stick was my first lesson in this department, but hey, it was a "competition" type improvement, so no one I knew went back to their original length shifter. I sure wish I knew then what I know now, I would have just modded the GM version of the Competition Plus by adding the stop bolts to it, and lived with the 20 percent or so extra throw that the 10 inch stick gave. I think I'll go sit in my S10 and make some vroom vroom noises now.

22. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, you can. I recently did just that on a 401 nailhead powered '49 Ford coupe. Trans is a super T10, the column linkage now shifts the four forward gears, the original overdrive cable now engages reverse. The throw is quite short, it doesn't take a Popeye arm to shift it. The neutral gate is still a bit wide, no easy way of changing that without shortening the shift lever.

23. I had these laser cut to use with the floor shifter I made. Having them laser cut meant I could make them fit how I wanted IMG_20190119_170824925.jpeg IMG_20181027_184554901.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app