Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Sport Fury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by APD 628, Jan 12, 2019.

1. APD 628

APD 628

I have had my 1964 Sport Fury for a year or so and I decided to put some new spark plugs in the 426 Street Wedge that powers my car.
    It has TTI headers with 2" diameter tubes and the only power accessory I have is power steering.
    It took some doing but I got all the plugs installed except for #4. The exhaust header blocks access to the plug, and the plug boot is millimeters from touching the shock tower. Anybody out there have a similar problem?
    I have a similar problem with spark plug access on my 1969 big block Corvette, which is solved by removing the left front wheel. GM put an access port in the fender well. No such port is available on my Sport Fury, but I am thinking of cutting a hole in the fender well to access the plug.
    Thanks in advance. shifter 015.JPG

fauj, harleyddad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. mark latham

mark latham

Don't know if this will help but did you try putting it in the air and going from underneath with a wrench?

3. daliant

daliant

On my big block Dart I have to put the car up in the air to get at the 2 middle plugs on the passenger side as the headers block access from the top side.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, Only cut a hole as last resort as a mod of that type can hurt value of car, Headers and spark plug changing can be a PIA, do not remember header brands I purchased years ago, always made plug changes a challenge, remember one I had to loosen header up on one side to change plug with short wrench I made. Through the years with OT vehicles some were ridiculous, had a Lincoln Continental V6 front wheel drive you had to jack motor up to get to back 3 plugs, but being a modern car you only change 1X in its life, sold at 160k, still running good.

5. egads

egads

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Accel used to make “header” spark plugs that were shorter. I’m not sure if they make them for your Mopar, but (insert joke here) I had a Chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

egads likes this.
  8. egads

egads

^^^^^^^^ Just got some last week for my 64 440.

9. BJR

BJR

Can you unfasten the motor mount on that side and jack up or lift the engine up enough to change the plug?

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I've heard the TTI's are a real nice fitting header and very good quality. Never heard of the #4 plug being a bear. As was mentioned that powerhouse socket might be the deal. Lippy

11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only big block mopar experience I had was with a 74 Plymouth with a 400 and I changed some of the plugs from underneath. I don't miss that car. It actually followed my ex wife in 1982.

12. APD 628

APD 628

Thanks for all of the thoughtful input. I took off the passenger side front wheel, and used an open end to get it started. Spun it with fingertips and it came out. Took awhile to get it back in without cross threading the plug, what an ordeal.

13. rc57

rc57

Got more pics of the car? Engine, interior etc. I miss mine and I changed interior to black.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your car doesn't sound like its on the was to Pebble Beach for a Concours display so I would not have a problem with a hole in the fender well and a plate or plug to cover it when done. There were a lot of late 60's Big block Mustangs that got 7 cylinder tune up's at dealerships.

loudbang and Unique Rustorations like this.
  15. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

"...Took awhile to get it back in without cross threading the plug, what an ordeal..."

You need the sparkplug soopertool. Looks a lot like a 2-6 inch length
    of suitable diameter vacuum tubing with a turn of mechanic's wire on one end such that when the hose is put over the plug's terminal end, you can
    apply enough torque to spin the plug down until the washer contacts.

Don't forget the wiggle method when the plug threads resist.

Fingers as close to the plug as possible to start, that way you can feel if it
    starts wrong.

16. APD 628

APD 628

Sure, it is an old race car, still has the tow hooks sticking through the front bumper. I am the third owner. Not sure if it is an original factory 426 wedge car, really don't care. The engine it has in it now has the block numbers that come back to a first casting run of 426's back in 1964. It has a code after the block numbers that indicate the casting form is the first one used. The transmission is a date code correct, but the only problem it is not a B body transmission, it is a 18 spline input, 30 spline output, A833 4 speed. I found that out when I put a new B body Hurst Shifter stick in it and 1st and 3rd gear hit the dash. Ended up making one of my own. Not a perfectly restored car, but I have a lot of fun with it. Not much of a highway cruiser, @ 70 MPH it is turning 4,000 rpm.

Attached Files:

egads, loudbang, das858 and 4 others like this.
  17. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

18. mopacltd

mopacltd

I am going to look at a '64 sport fury the first part of February. Love those car!