Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BFGoodrich Advantage T/A, anybody try them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Enemy1, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Enemy1

Enemy1

So I have been held up by my wheel/tire combination choice from advancing much in my build. I know the Bf Goodrich Advantage T/A tires are not exactly traditional but that is why I bring them up. I have read too many mixed reviews on the Firestone rear dirt track tires and ribbed front tires. I love the look but I want to cruise down the highway for hours at a time and I am afraid these tires may become an issue due to bias-ply construction, wear and ride quality. So I looked up comparable radial tires that are physically close enough to the same height and width to work on the same wheels as the Dirt track tires. At least that way I could switch without having to buy new wheels.

But I wouuld like to know if anybody has tried them yet and what do they think of the ride?

2. Canuck

Canuck

Used them on my A coupe, looked good, road and handled good. Don't know about wear as I sold car.
    The bad. 155/15 size is not available in Canada, had to order from USA. Only avail with white letter on one side, cured with some black leather dye. Prone to cracking between tread like other Michelin products. Should be good for approx 4 years on a car that is kept garaged when not in use.

Also have them on my 64 Malibu, look good and handle good, but due to cracking will be looking for something different when they need replacing.

3. Enemy1

Enemy1

Thanks Canuk! Too bad they crack so easily. The sidewall of these tires is more plain and better looking than most out there. I was planning on running staggered 16 and 18 rims. The fronts would be a little taller in radials but the back is very close to the 820-18 dirt track tire.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got a set of TA Radials on my car that are about 11 years old and just this winter started cracking in the sidewalls. Never had any problem with them cracking between the treads. They have probably 20,000 miles on them at most and still look nearly new, and sat out in the sun a lot during their life. Only thing that will keep me from buying another set of BFG's is the cost, I can buy Cooper's for half what the BFG costs now and are the same quality. I have ran BFG's for over 25 years now, but the way they have doubled their prices I doubt I'll buy any more. Coopers for now on for me.

31hotrodguy and Truckdoctor Andy like this.

5. As an alternative to the Firestone bias tires, have you looked at Excelsior Stahl Sport Radials? A lot of traditional guys who drive, seem to be using them.

Phil

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have been running BFG tires on a few OT vehicles for over a decade and couldn't say enough good about them. Excellent wear characteristics, good traction....only have some sidewall weather checking on my truck which sat outside 24/7/365 and even then, it was not alarming. But they were six years old and I chose to replace them with exactly the same tire and got exactly the same experience on the second set. About 45,000 miles per set when replaced (age) and the tread looked like 50% or better remaining.

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I moved this to the hokey ass message board, we don't talk about radials in the traditional hot rod forum

upspirate likes this.
  8. Enemy1

Enemy1

Forgive me, please. Still a bit of a newbie here. pprather.....Excelsiors do not come wide enough to fit a 18 X 7 rim. Thanks.