Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can anybody school me on this old Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, Jan 10, 2019.

1. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i'd say you'll spend $400 for a rear door needing work and $1000 for a good one, if you can find one. i wouldn't let the lack of a Rr Door stop me from buying it at that price.

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Definitely buy the Sedan Delivery and buy the 4 dr too if it's a cheap parts car.
    Look for a rear door (and cheap 4 dr doors as plan B) while you build up the Sedan Delivery.
    Just a heads up, I recall a HAMBer getting scammed from a con artist recently after he placed a want ad looking to buy Sedan Delivery rear door(s). I recall the 'seller' sent pics of door (that wasn't in his possession) but didn't deliver after payment. Be sure any distant seller actually has the rare door before shelling out payment.

midnightrider78 likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

All want ads here are risky... you have to be extra careful. First thing is ask the seller to take a picture of the item. Then use the google images search to search for similar pictures. If you find one that's identical, then you can be assured that the seller just got a picture from the internet.

bondojunkie, i.rant and KoolKat-57 like this.
  4. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I hear ya. It's a shame we have to be so cautious nowadays. Or, maybe it's always been that way and I'm just being nostalgic. I don't know.

5. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Bet the floors are shot from sitting in the mud , check it good then offer 800

flatford39 likes this.
  6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That thing's rad. If you have the $$ to spare...go for it.

7. I have not seen more then maybe one or two '46/8 sedan deliveries in my time and the ones I saw had a single door. That is not to say that they did not come both ways.

I wonder if someone could not take the tail gate from a wagon of the era and adapt it or run it sans doors and build a panel to go behind the seat.

8. I have never seen one. I am a sucker for stuff like that so I would probably buy it for that price if it were near me. You could probably frame up a rear door structure out of wood like an old GM car and cover it in metal if you could find a good wood and metal guy provided the existence of a rear door proved fruitless.
    I think its worth that amount, even if it doesn't have a title, you could re-sell it to someone in a state that doesn't require titles for antiques.

9. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

I had one for a few years, out of all the hotrods I have had and built, it was the most comfortable, best riding car I have had. miss it a lot. I would not hesitate. they only were produced with one rear door.

10. Make a door out of the roof of the parts car, use parts of the doors for the character line and to make the inside frame.

46international likes this.
  11. raven

raven

Have you bought it yet? I wouldn’t sleep until it was home.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Looks like a good buy to me. They only produced 1980 ? or so deliveries in 46. Only a single and rare rear door. Rear fenders are delivery & woodie specific. Woodie fenders have a gas door. A four door would be a good donor. go for it.

13. Yea it would be half an hour away and take us all night to get it home. LOL

scott27 and raven like this.
  14. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Just talked to the guy. He does indeed have the missing fender. We're just trying to work out a time when we can both get free. I'll take some more pics if I buy it.

catdad49 likes this.
  15. Bear in mind when you look at it that probably from the seat back it will have a wood floor like a pickup truck. So if you look and see no floor in the cargo area its not like you have to finish it in metal.

16. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of that.

17. The possible horror stories of finding a door are pretty true. What you have to ask yourself is, "Would I pay 2500 to 3000 for a decent, titled 46 SD with a rear door?" I would. Even if you have to pay big bucks for the door, it will even out to a bargain anyway

raven likes this.
  18. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

If You Can Get Both Cars For A Comfortable Price Then I Believe That You Will Not Lose On Your Investment...

19. squirrel

squirrel

"investment" :)

If you really dig the car and want to build it, it could be a good buy. I wouldn't look at it as an investment, though.

Dan Hay, harpo1313, 47ragtop and 4 others like this.
  20. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I don't know for sure, but I think I can buy the 4dr for about $500

LOU WELLS likes this.
  21. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I know we have a lot of discussion about that here. But, if I'm totally honest, I do look at these vehicles as an investment to a certain degree. That is, not necessarily to profit, but I never buy/build anything that I am not relatively certain I can at least get my money back out of. That's the only reason I can afford to be involved in this hobby... it's sure as heck not funded by my 9 to 5 gig.

LOU WELLS and 40ragtopdown like this.
  22. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

With the parking lights above the grill, isn't that a 1942?

23. There was a guy who had a SD advertised on here last year in MT, and had two doors if I remember, may do a search, and see if he still has a door

midnightrider78 likes this.
  24. 42 and 46 had park lights above the grill, but different grills. That is a 46 for sure

LOU WELLS likes this.
  25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

True, investment ira, car, money pit...

Chavezk21, i.rant and LOU WELLS like this.
  26. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

There Are Several Groups On FB That Are Dedicated To Sedan Deliverys Which Can Be Helpful And My Use Of The Term "Investment" Included The Future Of The Delivery...Message Me If I Can Be Of Help And Best Of Luck...

27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

The investment is in satisfaction, happiness is well worth it don’t you agree?

slayer and LOU WELLS like this.
  28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That's 'house-of-ill-repute kind of thinkin'.

29. indyjps

indyjps

Go get it, build a door if you cant find one. Hell, do a roll up canvas door if you want, can double as an awning. That should be back on the road.

Any idea what the logo is, or who M B Freemer might be, must have been a big shot to have his name on the door.:) Looks like maybe a government vehicle.

Google says there an MB Freeman construction in Cali, wonder how far back their history goes.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  30. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

No idea who that is. Figure I'll try to get that story when I go to check it out.

LOU WELLS likes this.