Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935 1936 ford car resource thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heyitsnate, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Chris 50

Chris 50

What do you guys recommend in terms of a good shop manual (or manuals) for a '36? Something not so much geared toward maintenance but toward construction.

2. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I looked at the Carpenter web site and it looks like he offers very little for 35/36 repair panels.
    Anyone tried reworking available outside door bottom repair panels with a bead roller to get the bottom edge reveal to match the cowl and corner reveal? Or is it a matter of making them from scratch with the correct profile?

3. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

4. Helloosination

Helloosination

I bought a set of the extended cowl bottoms and the reveal does not match the door reveal. It is too fat. Anyone know of a better match?

5. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I did a thread on narrowing the bead on the howells panels. It took a fair bit of work to use them.

6. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

7. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Anyone anyone

8. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Carpenter is the only one that makes them patch panels.All the dealers sell his.All stamped flat.Terrible.Try to find an original cowl somewhere if you are that particular. That stuff is still out there.

9. ihaterust

ihaterust
    from minnesota

I know we are mostly speaking of steel components but I have to add my 2 cents on fiberglass front fenders. I bought a 5 window project that had JB Donaldson front fenders and I can tell you they fit like crap. They don't have enough flange and the inside radius is too thick to allow the use of washers. I am going to find a set of steel ones even if I have to repair 50% of them.

10. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Any new suppliers?

11. Marius Elvestad

Marius Elvestad

I love this thread. Do anybody know if Mcpherson auto still are open? I can not find them on internet.
    I need some good rocker panels for my 35 project.

12. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

13. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

What's the story on the Drake rear fenders? Is the wheel opening really longer? How do they fit?

14. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

They fit perfect but no longer made.Sold out.

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Purchased one of the first pairs, they fit perfect around the perimeter and to the running board BUT the rear of opening has the profile of a '35.................................

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

God i wish they still made these. I agree the back lower part of the opening sweeps back a small amount when it should come straight down.it can be solved with a small pie shaped scrap of your old wonky fender and a well placed cut.

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. You're right Lon, they do fit up real nice around the perimeter, mine will be bolting up to Drake running boards and are gonna' need some work in that area.:eek: The opening does appear to sweep back a bit at the rear, but then in my case the wheel fit to the fender ain't stock either.

20180528_215156.jpg

Mine were one of the first pairs, ordered and paid for almost a year before production, but they were certainly a better bet than anything else I could find for under 2 grand!

Bear:)

RHRH3P and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Nice pic but you left a small ViceGrip on your Lilly White floor, is there a deeper meaning to that? Sorta like Michelangelo painting secret meanings into his work?

Trefl and Surf City like this.
  19. Surf City your shop is cleaner than my dentists office, wow...killer.

Surf City likes this.
  20. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Just found this thread. Marking my territory.

21. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

Why would anyone go through the effort to make the tooling and then stop stamping them? Did the dies wear out or break?

Anyone got a pair of rear fenders they want to part with?

22. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

I spoke to a Bob Drake employee at Turlock about these fenders and from what they said, the only way the 36 rear fenders will be made again is if there are enough people that prepay. It's my understanding that the reason is its a lot of money for them to just put out all at once and just slowly make back. I don't know what the minimum order has to be but I guess it makes sense from their standpoint. Seems to me that there are probably enough people that would pre-order, but i guess we'd need to get a head-count.

23. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I bought a pair when they first came out at a discount I believe. I jumped at the opportunity after dealing with crap gennie parts available. I found them the other day in my barn and just put them on my 3W.... fit awesome. I didn't realize the flaw you speak of.... just getting ready to paint the car. Anyone want to buy a pair of used Donaldson's glass fenders ?

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Surf City likes this.
  24. I think that flaw may have been on the early run. We used a pair on my 3 window and they were perfect. From the rumors I've been hearing, getting some from Drake again is a pipe dream. I sure wish I'd bought an extra set when they were available...

25. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I just checked my Drake fenders. I got an early run, the opening is about an inch greater than the stock fenders on my roadster. I this point in time I'm gonna run them as they are. I'll wait to see how they look with the tires. In my 36 roadster it appears there is less space in the rear of the opening.... maybe the tire will look more centered in the wheel well.

What do you mean they need some work using the Drake running boards? I just bought a set of Drake boards and mine seem to bolt to the Drake fenders just fine.

26. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Ok , i went back into my pics and found this.i remember. Once i had a decent real one to compare they totally matched. 20140628_092933-1.jpeg

vonpahrkur likes this.
  27. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

And I have done the same and they don't. No pic's so you win!
    Mine did however mate up to my Drake running boards perfectly.....................................

28. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

What is going on with that og fender? Are you fitting a sedan fender to a coupe?
    If so , show us more, please....

29. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Yes, its a sedan fender i modified. Should be a writeup somewhere in my build thread

30. Grills for these seem to be the next holy grail for these 36's, mines decent but tweaked to one side and not sure it can be straightened, anyone have a clean non re-pop 36 grill for sale?