Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Deck Lid Hinges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, Nov 11, 2012.

1. I spotted these neat little deck lid hinges on a Model A roadster at Pistons & Paint yesterday.

[​IMG]
    Pistons & Paint 2012-21 by Bib Overalls, on Flickr

Can any one here identify the hinges or recommend an alternate (and available) hinge that I can use on my Model a coupe project?

2. US_Marshall

US_Marshall

Look into marine deck hatch hinges, they come in a wide verity of materials and styles.

3. flamed34

flamed34

'35/'36 Ford sedan hinges are repopped and affordable. I'm using a set from Bob Drake on my '34 Chevy since I haven't found nice originals. Now if I could find a set of latches....

4. planning on build a deck lid i try some triumph tr2,tr3,spitfire hinges that looks like those...

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

The deck lid and panel in front of it will need a piece of good metal spot welded under the area so things don't flex. Bob

6. kingpins

kingpins

vintage ice box hinges

7. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

mine are jeep s/s hinges they do make a smaller set also

Attached Files:

8. Fenders

Fenders

Nice if you like external hinges, I prefer it smooth.

9. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I used 35-36 Ford humpback hinges (from Drake). You do have to do some reinforcing underneath.

Attached Files:

gnichols and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. bct

bct

anyone familiar with 41 to 48 GM coupe hinges? are they flat enough to work. ?? two sets fairly convenient on the local classifieds but would like some first hand experience before I drive there
    3486040-1-1.jpg

11. ^^^They look too long to me.^^^

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

McMaster-Carr has a variety of hinges.

13. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I these were the hinges on my 29 roadster. Vern tardel put them on , so there they stayed as long as i had the car. I like them

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Bear in mind that both hinge pins MUST be on the SAME centerline, to preclude binding and/or flexing of the lid. This may require wedge shaped shims under the hinges. Hinges from cars generally had the wedge built in, but the curvature of the lid must match that of the car on which you intend to a install them.

15. 5window

5window

Yep. The panel those hinges would attach to isn't braced very well and many, if not most,of the A's I see have paint, or body, cracks at the side seams.You'll need a lot of bracing. For my money, I don't like external hinges on Model As. Nice looking hinges, though.

16. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

If you want external hinges I think 49 Ford look pretty good.

Tim likes this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yes, they do. I found a pair of N.O.S. ones to use on my black '27 Highboy.
    (not normally fond of that sort of 'bling', but the smooth black devil actually needed a little something on that otherwise plain area that has so much 'shape'!)
    The hinges came before the louvers...then the 'dress-up' from the hinges clashed with the functional look of the 'scoops'.
    Oh...What IS a boy to do???

18. marinepartdepot.com or Bratton's for stock A hinges if you want a challenge.