Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Most Absurd Claim you've heard at a Car Show, Drag Race, Cruise Night, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaveyJonez, Mar 5, 2009.

1. J_J_

J_J_

Well I haven't been to any car shows or cruise nights etc. lately but had a guy come into work today asking about my 70 F100 short bed 4x4 told him I was upside down on it 6k into a 4k truck and he laughed at me claiming they're all over the place and he could get them for 1500 - 2k all day.. told him to get a couple and I'll make him some money as I have people wanting to buy mine all the time claiming they cant find any let alone that cheap.. he also thought our Miller welders were overpriced and the Esab was a better unit yet couldn't spend 30.00 on a spool of wire

2. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Went to a swapmeet last summer and asked a guy the price of a part on his table. After agreeing to pay his price, I pulled out my cash and was about to hand it to him when he asked for another five dollars more cause his daughter's husband was beating her up.I told him to keep the part and tell that story to the next guy and moved on. I thought I had heard it all till that point. I guess it takes all kinds! Great thread.

INVISIBLEKID, Hombre, Truck64 and 3 others like this.
  3. Clyde Walker

Clyde Walker

Back in the mid 80's I ran around in a 71 Torino 2 door hardtop. 302 with an edelbrock 'performer cam. 2 barrel intake. I used the center carb from an old 390 6v on it, stock manifolds and one side leaked (ssst,ssst,sss,ssst), SINGLE exhaust, c4 and 3 to 1 gears. The thing was four colors, just fugly. It would be lucky to get out of the 16's in the quarter I am sure. I tell you what though. For some reason that thing SMOKED many a "12 second" street machines (according to their owners) I ran into. Got beat quite a bit too :<D

olscrounger likes this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This was the best one a lot of Chevy pilots heard...until they paid me $20 a gear...'56 Ford ragtop, '54 Ford coupe. (427 side oiler) Chevy eaters, both.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No it doesn't but we got 'em.

raven and ramblin dan like this.
  6. badvolvo

badvolvo

Dad's 29 Roadster pickup. He put a magnetic trailer hitch in the bed, backed it under a huge fifth wheel camper and took pictures. People would see the hitch and comment, so he pulled out the picture. Funny as hell the comments that followed, and many actually believed it.
    I had a 72 RS/SS 396 Camaro, very rare. I was constantly told they never put BB's into 72 Camaro's even by parts counter guys. It eventually got swapped for the 59 Vette I have now. I get the comment alot on the Vette "that got the original 327"? No, 59's were all 283's. Many want to argue that, and everyone knew someone who had one, and yes, they could pull the wheels in every gear and pass anything but a gas station. Guess I should be happy, mine won't do that.

7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Having had my 64 Fairlane for most of twenty years I've heard more than a few stories about the one people used to have, I had a woman tell me about the four door she drove in college, 289 three speed that her dad had put a 4 speed in, she went on and on about her car but then mentioned that her parent's had bought a new 64 wagon with the K code 271 hp 289 4 speed and drove it untill 1979. She seamed to know what she was talking about but....
    Then there was the guy that said he had had a 64 but it was a convertible and a K code automatic..... no automatic K codes or convertible Fairlanes in 64, I told him that and was told I was full of it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  8. 396/425

396/425

They’ve obviously built 10x more split window corvettes than published, because every time we took ours to a car event 3-4 people would comment they or a family member had one. That..and...one that was a fingernail on the chalkboard moment...” look honey..there’s one of them California Vettes.” Wtf is a “California corvette”? I bet I’ve heard that shit 100 times at places.

9. I had one here on the HAMB. Guy was selling a 37 Pontiac so I opened the thread because I had once owned one. Showed the photo "he'd" taken of the car right there in the ad...
    It was a photo I'd taken of my old 37.

10. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I had one just exactly like this when I was “ however old they say”

11. junkman73

junkman73

In the summertime I like to run around town om my little rigid framed two stroke chopper that was built out of a 78 Suzuki DS 185 dirtbike.From time to time I will come out from a bar and a few people will be out there looking at it.I always get a kick out of the guy that is saying something like "that's how the old 1930's and 40's Harley Davidsons were built"Or the guy that says "I had one just like it".

12. junkman73

junkman73

Another one that I like is when they ask where the battery is.No battery kick start only.Then they ask me how do the lights work with no battery.

13. 6sally6

6sally6

Always liked the one about........."A friend of mine bought a 65 split-window vet for a hundred bucks from this lady,one time, whose husband died in it. Didn't find the guy until 3 weeks later. They tried everything to get the smell out of the car but couldn't. They even burned it to try and kill the smell, but when they re painted it....the stench was still there!"
    Burned a fiberglass car to get the smell out! ........65 split window?! Boy-please!!

The difference between a fairy tale and a sea story is Fairy tales start out...one upon a time
    Sea story starts out...Now, this ain't NO shit
    6sally6

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  14. 6sally6

6sally6

Another buddy of mine tells the story about his 69 Roadrunner When he goes over 110mph the headlights would go OUT!
    He naturally let off the gas and hit the brakes and the lights would come back on! He tried it several times with the same results....over 110 and lights go out....slow down and lights pop back on!
    Finally figured it out.... he was running over his light beams!
    6sally6

scotts52 and seb fontana like this.
  15. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Back in my mid teens a guy that I knew was telling me about a car that he was building for himself. Said he was building it to look like one of the local modifieds running in Connecticut. Told me that the suspension was so stiff that he had to take the body off of it and jump on the rear end to test it. Finally got it done, had to take it through inspection at the DMV. Inspector looked inside (with the kid in the drivers seat) and wanted to see the seat belts. He pulls out the straps for a 5 point harness and buckles them up. Etc, Etc. Supposedly sold it to some guy that took just the lights off of it and ran it at Stafford.

16. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I don't know how many times I've heard this.
    It's a frame off restoration says the guy with a unibody car.

belair and Atwater Mike like this.
  17. moparjimd60

moparjimd60

I drove my blown 354 hemi pickup to a car show this fall the 1st time I have really been around a crowd with it. 2guys walk up and said the were in the restoration of old ford pickups and preceded to show me all there accomplishments. Then he walks over to the engine and says “ is that a real hemi or just a regular engine with fake valve covers on it “ I don’t think I will seek out his restoration services.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

18. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

First day back at college my sophmore year ('68?) at dinner I heard a couple of freshmen talking about the hot cars they had seen in the parking lots that day.

Decided to mess with their minds a bit ;)

Told them it sounded like they'd like what I drove that summer, got the "cool look" and "oh, yeah?" so I described my summer ride:

400 cubic inches, high compression, turbocharged, fuel injected and couldn't run on regular gas. Rear tires footprint was 18 inches wide, narrow low rolling resistance front wheels and it had a manually lockable rear differential.

Heavy duty oil-cooled clutch, quick ratio steering, wrap-around center mounted seat with mechanical tach and an 8 speed transmission.

"One afternoon I was headed down a stretch of empty paved road about 10 miles long, straight and level.

I got that thing into 8th gear and got the engine a little over the red line.

Must have been doing 25 miles and hour!"

They just looked at me until I added, "Not bad for a John Deere tractor." (4520 to be exact.)

Andy, Truck64, raven and 1 other person like this.
  19. A former “friend” used to like to tell me how he had his stock 1982 Sportster up to 140 mph. What?? Did you have a rocket shoved up your butt???

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.
  20. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I had one guy insist that he was buying my GTX for a ridiculously low ball offer, he wouldn't take no for an answer. If my brother in law hadn't stepped in when he did, the guy would've received a serious beat down.

Then there was the guy who claimed to have a GTX "just like mine" except his had a 6 Pack and 4.56 gears so it would go 160 mph. If you do the math his stock 440 would be turning 10,000 rpm.

Countless people saying their stock big block 4 speed whatever could pull the wheels, jump a beer can, run 10's etc...

I know they are just trying to be hip, or somehow fit in. But jeez, come on...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    olscrounger likes this.
  21. My son and I race his supercharged C-5, ZO-6 up in farm country, Nebraska. The road race draws contestants from all over the world with some really fast super cars. The local farmers enjoy looking at all the off shore cars and I was talking to a guy who brought his Lambo Aventador and let his buddy drive his Ferrari coupe....a local farmer with his oshkosh bibs had been looking the Lambo over for about 5 minutes when he says to his farmer buddy.."Nice car but I wouldn't trade any land for it"
    My son and I cracked up!

raven, Gammz and Black_Sheep like this.
  22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

A few years back there was a 65 Impala making the rounds at the local shows. full tube chassis outrageous big scooped blow big block. one of the guys with the car was bragging to me and my buddy that the car made 1200 hp and could run low 6's! My buddy Brad ask if they had any time slips to back it up. The guy answers back stateing matter a factly that they did not race it . because it was for SHOW!! lol You don't need 1200 horse to load it in a trailer:rolleyes: Larry

Gammz likes this.
  23. 60F250

60F250
    from Jasper,AL

Wait... I got this one. He forgot to change out the speedometer drive gear. I went from 2.56 to 3.73 in an off topic truck several years ago. It was amusing to wind the speedo past the 85 mark even though I was still under the speed limit.

If the GTX would do 120 with a 3.54 gear, it would indicate 154 doing 120 with the 4.56. Indicated 169 if he started with 3.23s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  24. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

How many times did i hear. " Put a hundred dollar bill one the dash told me to try and grab it ............

Black_Sheep and Gammz like this.
  25. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

"it's one of one!!"...

Gammz likes this.
  26. flat 39

flat 39

I have a '39 Ford coupe with a flathead and 2X2 Offenhauser intake. I'm at a local car show and I over a guy telling his young son, " and see son, this car has an Offenhauser engine".

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Picture of the the time slip or it didn't happen.