Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Steve Norton

Steve Norton

Love the car but the whitewalls turn me off.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

3. jimdillon

jimdillon

Rocky I imagine you still have the 58. Have you run it at the track? How about posting a pic or two. I know Halfbreed was for sale on a couple of sites. Not sure it it sold and where it went. Has some history so would love to see it put back in some form of race condition.

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Jim the corvette known as "halfbreed" was in Kingston NY as late as Sept. It was at the Dover Nostalgia drags for sale. Mike Wolf bought it and is reselling it. He doesn't keep too many cars just flips them. Found a picture from the GG in Rhinebeck 2018.

Pat

Attached Files:

5. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Is that the same Mike Wolfe from American Pickers?

loudbang likes this.
  6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

No!

Pat

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  7. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

That's a relief.

loudbang likes this.
  8. jimdillon

jimdillon

I had thought I saw a price in the mid 20s which if that is the case is probably more money than it may be worth. It is pretty incomplete and although it is an old drag car it does not seem to have a great deal of racing history. I wish the owner good luck though as there are not too many old Vette warriors out there for sale.

If it was mine I could not bring myself to put back on the larger dainty wheels no matter what-just doesn't look right IMO.

9. 1934coupe

1934coupe

That's correct Jim. Certainly one too many zeros.

Pat

Bowtie Coupe, enloe and loudbang like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

12. loudbang

loudbang

posted by LowKat in the vintage thread

1953 Nascar

LowKat vintage 1953 Chevy Corvette #211 NASCARvette 11.jpg

13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Here’s a picture of the ’62 that my Dad had in the 1971-1973 timeframe. Probably my earliest memory is from riding in this car as about a 4 year old. My older brother (6 years old) and I were both in the passenger seat (couldn’t do that today!) going down a hill near where this photo was taken. Dad was “teaching” us to whistle at pretty girls. I couldn’t whistle so I just said “whoot whoo”.

It needed new tires and he was afraid the rims would get broken if new ones were put on. So my Dad just used the car as a trade in for a new station wagon for us kids…DOOH! It’s one of the few cars I wish I could get back. So this fall I bought a ’61 Vette that @jimdillon found as a replacement.

If anyone knows anything about this ’62 please let me know. It was traded to I believe a Chevy dealership in Central Iowa about 1973.

62 Vette.jpg

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

found this on another thread 96 vette.jpg

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

Chris good to see you posting. The 62 is cool and I hope you find out something on the car. I also hope you are pleased with the 61 you just bought. I kind of have the reverse of what you have. Some of my fondest memories were with my buddies 61 (283/270) that he drag raced and ran on Woodward and Telegraph and now I have 62s. I remember one time when a blue 67 427 Vette pulled up to us at a light on Schoolcraft at Saint Mary's street. Barely enough room for two cars in either direction. My buddy Tim was going to run it at Detroit Dragway in a few days and he had a 5:13 gear in it so it would be strong coming out of the hole but would have nothing for the 427 after let's say 660 (or so). The 427 was revving his engine and figured he would blow us away. I remember Tim pulled him really bad but the thing I remember to this day is watching the curb on the right side and figured if he hit it we were screwed (it seemed like we were inches from the curb). Tim got out of it pretty quick and the guy asked what Tim had in it and Tim said just a little 283 and the other guy wanted to run again but we just took off laughing. Pretty much every time I slide behind the wheel of my 62, I fondly remember the 61. Hope your 61 brings back good memories of your dad's 62. Let us know how you make out with your new "ride".

16. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

This is the very first Corvette to be imported into New Zealand
    It is creating it's own show in the car park at a race meeting

F1030011.jpg

17. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I was hoping to see something like this on Xmas morning!
    [then I woke up]

18. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

front view of the above car

F1030012.jpg

19. loudbang

loudbang

20. loudbang

loudbang

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

LB ,both cars above have a great old school look to them. The midyear looks great with black walls and knockoffs-pure classic in my opinion. I admittedly am not a whitewall guy on Vettes-just one of my character flaws I suppose.

The rear tires on the 59/60 look great IMO. I am not a real fan of the look of radials on these cars although I run them. I like a tall tire and those rear tires have a great square look. Wish they made a tire that looks similar today that handled as good as they look. Plus the wheels look great as well. Has the fuel injection emblems and California black plate. I wonder on the color as I do not remember this shade being available on 59/60-I do approve of the color though on some of the old Vettes-also very classic.

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jim
    That (kind of) looks like "fawn beige", I think 1961 was the first year available.
    Edit
    Interesting article, only 358 Corvettes painted that color in 61.
    http://www.superchevy.com/features/corp-0806-1961-chevrolet-corvette/

23. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug I agree that 61 was the first year available but I have to believe that someone will tell me a story otherwise (I am quite fond of hearing stories and rolling my eyes appropriately at car shows).

I have told the story before but I had a tough time convincing my dad to allow me to buy any performance cars prior to my 18th birthday. My grandfather who was the patriarch in the family gave me a race car (with a Crosley engine) when I was 11 that I drove at my grandfathers property (like a small racetrack) but my dad was determined to not let me drive anything with any gusto on the street when I turned 16. I wanted to buy a 61 fawn beige Vette (283 with a 3 speed) that I found on a sale lot on 7 Mile with a large hole in the driver's door which had the price around $600 I seem to remember. My dad nixed the purchase of course. Since I have had a soft spot for fawn beige Corvettes I suppose. I remember sitting in the car a few times dreaming I could take it home but no such luck.

24. noboD

noboD

The very first Corvette I rode in was a fawn beige '61 with red interior. I was about 12 and it was my cousin's fuel four speed car. Things haven't been the same since.

scott27, loudbang, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  25. Hey....ya know they sell a kit to remove that damn split window... 39A1537F-7809-4789-8446-686F984AF362.jpeg

26. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

Yeah, but who wants to? To me, it's just too iconic to want to remove. I wish I made enough money to own one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

LB, great photo of a 59/60, back in the time when a tricked out 'vette would make
    a kid's eyes bug out. These days, seeing a new Corvette induces a yawn. What makes
    this pic slightly kooler is the line up of period stockers.

By the way, my first Corvette ride was in a white '63 roadster with red interior in the
    fall of '63. I was 13, it belonged to the sister of a friend and I can still remember and
    visualize that ride.

Z 59 Corvette.jpg

28. It was a joke...sarcasm...I’m always amazed to think that people actually bought that conversion..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    j hansen and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. rudestude

rudestude

You have only got one......wow... I had a cop tell me once that I need to get bumper stickers made for my cars that says "just pull me over ....let's get this over with"......years back I put together a Chevy Luv pu with V-8 , 4spd, 9" rear end .....first night driving it through town a cop got behind me and followed me all around town so I finally just pulled over and ask him if there was a problem...he says no ...not yet... but by the looks and sounds of your hot rod you got there ..and the fact that you have big reflective letters on your rear end housing that say's "EAT ME" I figured it's only a matter of time till you fuck up and I will be there to pinch you.... actually we became really good friends and he never did pinch me ...not saying he never stopped me ...but he never gave me a ticket......

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app