Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Visible v8 model kit

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ChevyIIman65, Jan 10, 2019.

1. ChevyIIman65

ChevyIIman65

Hey everyone has anyone ever built one of these cool little model engines im about to build another but this time im going to modify it to try and run 8.000 rpm with a big electric motor and a external oil pump but if anyone out there has extra parts or kits they dont want comment or message im going to need all the cranks cams valves and blocks i can get to try an get an experimental plastic model engine to turn 8 grand. Haha FB_IMG_1547138937457.jpeg FB_IMG_1547138925226.jpeg Screenshot_2019-01-10-00-45-59.jpeg Screenshot_2019-01-10-00-45-11.jpeg 1547099066144.jpeg

Sent from my LG-LS777 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  2. I built one of them back in the late '60's long gone now.

Deuces, 5window and porknbeaner like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

I was down in the basement a couple days ago, and found the box for it.....

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Seems like that was about the time I built one too. Those and a Rube Goldberg mousetrap was a right of passage for guys our age.

5. A basement in Arizona ! That's so badass Jim. Of course you have one. Awesome.

OP : Apologies for hijack.

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Purchased my visible V8 with paper route "starts" I think 1960. :)

Deuces likes this.
  7. egads

egads

Several youtube videos running them up at 7000 rpm. Pretty cool. Video wont load, but easy to find.

Deuces likes this.
  8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

My older brother had one of those when were kids. It was pretty cool. IDK whatever happened to it. There was no trace of it when we cleaned out the basement of the old homestead a few years ago.

Deuces likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

how did it ever get up to 7000 rpm with the 2bbl carb and stock air cleaner in place? :)

10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

when i was in the army, mom thought, "gee---this must go with that "big deuce" model i put in the trash a couple weeks ago..."

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. egads

egads

:DNitrous??:D

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I got one for Christmas when they first came out. I remember learning that sometimes it paid to read the instructions before applying glue. Bob :rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

54vicky, zzford, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  13. carbking

carbking

I built the turbo 4 model, but it wouldn't turn that many RPM ;) I guess it was the "turbo lag".

Still have it packed in a large box. It was still working when I packed; yes, I did remove the batteries.

Jon.

Deuces and egads like this.
  14. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I never had one,seen them at the stores when i was a kid,what engine is it supposed to represent?,its not a small block chevy,water pump is different,not really important but have always wondered about this?.Harvey

15. squirrel

squirrel

It's a generic engine.

Sent from my Trimline

Deuces likes this.
  16. egads

egads

I was told it was loosely similar to Packard,s 352 -374,but who know's?

Deuces likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I remembered that he model might be sitting in the closet in one of the kids rooms (they moved out years ago). Sure enough....

visible.jpg

this is one that I got at a thrift store or somewhere. Possibly ebay. A while back.

I also noticed when taking the picture that there is some strange stuff on my dining room table. 1950s road maps, an old Image Orthicon, a digital clock made of vacuum tubes, three Nixie tube wristwatches, mugs from car meets and drag races in the 1980s, Britannica Book of the Year 1950, etc. I must be a weird guy.

yeah, it looks pretty close to the Packard V8.

scott27, Deuces, ffr1222k and 2 others like this.
  18. Shutt

Shutt

I did in 1976; got it from Sears for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy

I also had the whole chassis that the Visible V8 could bolt into. The see-through man used to drive it.

20. I had a 'visible drive train'? It had a frame, transmission, and rear. I believe it had wheels also... I think the trans was a 3 speed. You made it work by turning a crank on the front of the frame.

21. catdad49

catdad49

I got the Slant 6, guess Pop didn't trust me with a V-8!

Deuces likes this.
  22. Was hoping to find a copy of the Renwal invisible Radial Engine to build, but they are bringing WAY too much money... :(

23. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I came across my visable V8 a few days ago and brought it upstairs to replace the stuff that has fallen off in the last God knows how many years ago since I built it.....
    [​IMG]0110191518 by TagMan, on Flickr

Deuces, ChevyIIman65 and catdad49 like this.
  24. RMONTY

RMONTY

Seems like the one my brother built he had to wind the copper wire on the armature for the "starter" motor that powered the thing. But I've slept since then, might have dreamed that up.

25. alchemy

alchemy

Oh yeah, you had to wire the thing. Remember the light bulbs for the spark plugs?

26. Yep. I glued the crank together on mine when it first came out. Revell graciously sent me new replacement parts. Need to take great care to deburr all moving parts. When it is running it is just barely not self destructing. Weakest part I found was the lower distributor bracket in the block. I glue a styrene strip that encircles that boss which greatly strengthens it.

Deuces likes this.
  27. Generic engine but id does have a Hydramatic tranny.

28. fuzzface

fuzzface

I have one here still in the box that I picked up a few years ago to put on the auction site from a thrift store but I haven't gotten around to it yet. No since rushing into it. :)

I am not going to ask squirrel about the Vaseline on the table. Nope, not going there. :)

Deuces and Unique Rustorations like this.
  29. GTS225

GTS225

*******************************************************************************************

Ummm, HELLO!....McFLY! That was what you used for lubricant in the model engine.
    Never did get one of those, but in later years, I did score both the visible and non-visible slant six.

Roger

Deuces likes this.
  30. nochop

nochop
    from norcal