Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Emergency/park brake - Do you have one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 9, 2019.

1. we were talking about this at the hot rod lunch and I had to admit I don't have one on my old deuce, there is one on the Ranch Wagon & the '50 coupe.

While I've got the Deuce down for the interior, window channel repair, plumbing the heater I might as well think about a real emergency brake instead of the occasional ruck when I'm parked on a hill.

I sure would like to see what you guys have used. HRP

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yup, I have a working parking brake on my Shoebox. Still a stock rear, so no issue. When I install the maverick rear, I'll have to figure it out, but it WILL work.

BoilermakerDave and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Required by law in most states. I've got one in the 48 but will admit that the pedal is so high on the kick panel that using it in an "emergency" might be an issue but it works great to hold the truck in place when parked on an incline. I used it a lot more when the 250 got tired and didn't have the compression to hold the truck in place and be trusted to keep it there on an incline.

Bruce Fischer and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Danny, for the 32 coupe I utilized the parking brake out of my 34 truck and fabricated a mount for it. Don't have a photo of it though. I couldn't stand that brake setup that was on it when I bought it.
    Then later I wished I had used something else because I needed one for the truck so I used the same style parking brake lever that came with a 36 Chevy truck I once owned.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Compulsory over here.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Wouldn't drive a car without a parking brake. Rather have one and not use it then need one and not have it. Using a rock for a parking brake is just a little too primitive for me. A Lokar parking brake assembly for a 32 Ford is an easy installation. Cheap insurance as well.

Gary

9. 3 window Mike

3 window Mike

This is in my 3 Window . It's modified ,but from a Tri 5 Chevy . Left side of the steering column and out of the way. 20190109_192120.jpg

10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I used a Chebbie van , left side of the 32 , tied into lokar cables to a 9 in axle . It will lock the brakes while moving and God could not move it while parked with it on

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Thanks for the ideas.HRP

12. norms30a

norms30a

In my early 20s I built a T bucket and when it was drive-able I was really thrilled, so the first chance I had I drove it to town. In town it started to idle rough, so I stopped on the side of the street to fiddle with the carburetor. In the process of climbing out I kicked the shift lever into gear, well of course the light car started rolling forward. Directly in front of me were 3 fully chromed and customized Harley Davidson bikes that guys had parked for a rest on their way to the Sturgis bike rally. In a split second I threw my ass onto the side of the bucket and cranked the steering wheel hard to the left to miss the bikes, then I went on down the street with both feet hanging over the side. I turned a corner and idled into a residential area with lots of room there I could get my feet in where they were supposed to be. I went directly home and did not drive it again until I had a pinto pull lever and E brake cables in and working really good. I had the crap scared out of me in those moments, so now ever since then nothing ever leaves my shop without a E brake in and working really good.

13. norms30a

norms30a

Lokar in my A 91 043.JPG

mgtstumpy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. F&J

F&J

Mine has an original chrome 33/34 Ford handle that I found at the V8 Ford meet in Massachusetts for $20. I run a mid 50s Olds rear with cables and the brake works so well with the stock Ford leverage ratio, that the engine will stall if you forget that it is still on.

Whenever mine is parked, the handbrake is always on, and out of gear. I do that as I've seen where a person reaches in to start the car, and forgets that it is in gear. Not often, but something to consider as we get "elderly" :oops:or are overtired.

It took a long time to build the car as I wanted every thing to be in the perfect spot for my arm & body size, and by setting the handbrake every time you stop/park, you then train your subconscious to know exactly where it is without even looking,,,,in case there ever was a brake failure even at night. I also took the time to get it placed where it is not in the way if somebody slides over from the passenger side like the pic below.

Here the trans is in 2nd gear, as I knew kids would be climbing around in it during a recent Christmas festival. She scooched right over no problem with the handbrake on.
    DSCN2181.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. The Brick @ Bako.jpg This works better than a rock Danny. My E-Brick, 1 problem I do have though, really hard to find brick fluid

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ebrakes in all I do and working as they should. Old habit of always setting them every time I park. Was coming home from uph shop in a fresh 40 in 5 oclock traffic. Front new brake line broke (new braided one-never again)!! pedal went down-dual master and all but sketchy brakes. Drove it all the way home in traffic slowly using the ebrake-no problem.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER and i.rant like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I posted my truck e brake idea to the "other" thread, on this one I will post the 34's I built. I welded up a bracket during construction that placed the handle alongside the T-5 shifter and built the tunnel and polished shifter plate so as to make it look like it grew there. Holds tight! Looks right!
    upload_2019-1-10_8-53-43.png

HOTRODPRIMER and olscrounger like this.
  18. I always try and have one. I have gone a day or two without one but I always have one as soon as I can.

For me they are an E Brake. I guess I just never made it out of the 20th Century.

HOTRODPRIMER and olscrounger like this.
  19. I'm leaning toward the low out of the way emergency brake similar to this. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  20. Fordors

Fordors

I have a Pinto e-brake handle with Lokar cables in my channeled coupe, for sure the one you show was patterned after the OEM Pinto.
    In my coupe it’s an easy reach and I could still steer and see the road. On the other hand in your Tudor with a higher seating position it might not be so user friendly if you needed it in an emergency situation.
    If you have ever had a front brake line go out in a late model, dual master vehicle, yes you still have brakes but the stopping power is greatly diminished. Parking brake or emergency brake? I want an e-brake with good accessibility.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^that works. In the 40 ford truck I am preparing to build I am installing this under the dash as I am going column shift on this rig and wanting the floor clear.
    upload_2019-1-11_10-55-58.png
    It is the parking brake from a Camaro/chevelle/elky/and a billion other GM cars. I will weld in support braces to make this a bolt in. Probably change that pedal pad. 69 bucks.

22. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

Emette Cherry Festial car show 1433.JPG
    here's mine , with a 4 speed you need one.

23. I would like to have one, but the original drive train had it on the transmission. She now has a 727 trans with no accommodations for an emergency brake. The rear has the original drum brakes with no e-brake access either. Is there any kind of kit that might work?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

This is exactly what I used, stashed it under the seat.

park_brake4.jpg

25. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I used components from "Control Cables" in Santa Fe Springs, CA.

LOWDUG37 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^Nice Mike! Looks like an ejector seat handle.

Hotrodmyk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I used the Lokar transmission mounted brake assembly and their universal cable kit with it.
    I don't think I've ever had an easier time getting the e-brake / parking brake setup installed and working on any car I've ever worked on.
    Really great product.

floor (1).jpg floor 001 (2).jpg

mgtstumpy, Joemama, USMercUte and 5 others like this.
  28. I like that a lot and it's out of the way as far as room for your passenger. HRP

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've always liked the late 60's Corvette e-brake handle assemblies, a little more difficult to mount though. I put the same one in my roadster that is in my Nova and also put one in my 66 Suburban, but in my roadster I mounted it between the bucket seats, its a bit tight.

[​IMG]
    I'll never need it anyway!:eek:

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, HOTRODPRIMER and Hotrodmyk like this.