Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spring in front of front axle ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grumpy65, Jan 1, 2019.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

Blake 27's car is an excellent example of this setup. Looks great.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. grumpy65

grumpy65

It most certainly is !!!

@Blake 27 , any chance of helping us out with some information and pics

Marshall1w likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Then I bet you've had your hands on a few Johnny Joints.

4. Blake 27

Blake 27

I believe my 27 was originally built in 1956 somewhere in Northern California. The front cross member and 40 ford front end were added then.
    When I rebuilt the car I did a number of mods to get more room for the engine and get a better tire fit
    under the front fenders. I also added Vega steering, a 37 tube axle, Buick drums, and a pan hard bar.
    With the cross member right in front of the radiator, the front edges of the fenders were 1 1/4" behind
    the cross member so I had to add metal to get them even.
    Although firm,I'm happy with the handling and the ride, I wanted it low!
    I hope these pics help show what I have. 1.JPG DSC01784.JPG DSC06094.JPG HPIM1185.JPG HPIM1188.JPG HPIM1709.JPG

Jet96, dana barlow, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like that locator on Jim Busbys' waaay cool black deuce five window maybe?
    Looks like a tuning fork, kinda sorta.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had some of the early prototypes, when they were just being developed, and well before they were forged (just welded up)!

7. grumpy65

grumpy65

Thanks Blake 27. Just what I needed to make this the number one contender for my frontend setup. Appreciate you taking the time to share and help out. :)

Noticed also that your firewall is totally flat. This is another "must have" for my planned build to maintain cab space/legroom ('29 pickup). If it's not too much to ask, could you let us know the methods used to acheive this? Is your frame/wheelbase extended?

8. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hey DDDenny.
    I think we probably had two wheels out in the "off topic" gravel with this thread but we seem to have managed to pull it back onto the road for a while. ;)

But, yes, very much like that. Shhh. Keep it under your hat.:D

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have seen Blake's car in person and can tell you that it sits perfect with this set up. It is spot on!

10. Blake 27

Blake 27

I actually recessed my fire wall 1". I used a piece of countertop material (3/4") cut to the final recessed shape, clamped the metal (same size) even with the edges, then bent a 1" strip of metal around the outside and welded the back side (inside).
    I did lengthen the wheelbase 2 3/4". I also was able to move the toe brackets forward,
    01.JPG 01-1.JPG 01-4.JPG You can see the original mounting hole (last pic) every little bit helps in a small car.

brad2v, grumpy65 and jimgoetz like this.
  11. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Thanks Grumpy. I've keep the Rudy Sumpter shocks and 32 steering box for the same reason. Buy the way does anybody know anything about these shocks? I have been able to find out very little. They are very adjustable. I think they may have been more of circle track parts then hot rod.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  12. grumpy65

grumpy65

A 1" recess in the firewall I can live with, and the extra built into the wheelbase as well.
    Yes, with early pickups in particular, larger recesses cramp thing up a lot! I really don't understand why people do it. The way you have done it, at least it won't annoy the shit out of you every time you drive it.

Love your front setup. Have you noticed that there has not been anyone saying it doesn't look right since we have had the pleasure of seeing yours? :):):)

13. Maybe take a look at how the Rolling Bones guys do front suspension with spring behind the axle. I personally think it looks way better but it's your choice. You can get it low and hide the spring a bit. Seems to work very well for them. If I built another car it would have that type of setup because looks are very important to me.

14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I drove that car.

I have no input I just like to point that out any and every time I can :)

randombob, Jet96 and s55mercury66 like this.
  15. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hey Dreddybear, I'm jealous.:(
    I have searched and searched and can't find much info on that car. Long shot, but can you point me in the direction to find out more about it?

16. Fordors

Fordors

Jet96 and grumpy65 like this.
  17. morac41

morac41

The longer the spring the better the ride

randombob likes this.
  18. adam401

adam401

Ed-isky-iskenderian-1924-ford-model-t-BH-035-025.jpg
    Isky roadster. Wish I had a better picture of the spring in front axle. We can consider this car traditional can't we?

19. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

It certainly is Traditional !!! If I remember correctly, Ed Iskenderian (of Isky Cams fame) built it sometime in or near 1938 and I think he still has it !

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. grumpy65

grumpy65

21. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

My ‘33 was an old dirt track car built back in the 60’s, spring ahead axles were the norm. I’ve battled myself over leaving it or changing it to spring over, but I kinda like that it’s different.

Stock 112” wheelbase, after some reconfiguring with the frame. That’s about the only thing that’s stock.

[​IMG]

Older pic

[​IMG]

22. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Any pics from the rear? From the front view it looks like the rear may have a sprint car/track flavor... I'm digging the entire look, love the shape of vintage sprint cars!

23. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Sorry to steal your thunder o.p.. Hotrodhr I have a build thread on the little car . If you look up my name and content. The thread is called. save of the day!!(single seater)

24. Here's my 28 roadster pickup. I built a new crewmember and moved it forward to keep the axle in original the spot.

Attached Files:

Jet96, brad2v and F&J like this.