Register now to get rid of these ads!

Winches

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Boneyard51, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I always had a thing for winches... hand, electrical,hydraulic, pto, air. Last count I was around 45 things that move things. From 300 lbs to 60,000. Is there anybody else out there?

Bones

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. Winches can be handy, but I prefer Wenches.:D;)

3. BJR

BJR

Winches can be handy, But.............. Wenches can give a handy.:p

4. F3A54E13-8F1E-4C1E-96D6-4631BA849DA3.gif Well,.... to be serious here.
    They ARE both used for pulling things !!

5. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I have a few WINCHES!..my 1960 3/4 ton 4+4 Ford pickup has a 10000 pound Ramsey PTO winch on the front. ....in my younger years I called chasing women in the bars " WENCHing and GROGing!...and I did hook up with a few!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  6. tractorguy

tractorguy

Love me some wenches !!! If anybody is wanting to ad to their collection, I have an original Ramsey X200R winch for sale. It was an original front winch on a 1953 Willys CJ3B Jeep. It was an Oregon Forest Service vehicle with front PTO winch. It is 4000lb. and serial # 12409. Has lots of cable and original forest green paint.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Humm, an antiquated whench.

VANDENPLAS and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. I tend to keep my Winches much longer than I keep my Wenches!

9. I have several. There is 40000 pound PTO driven HiWAy brand winch on my 66 ford boom pole truck. Ive got a Beebe Bros hand winch. a large braden PTO winch. a electric winch on my wrecker. a hand winch on my old 64 wrecker. a tugger winch operated by a 1 cyl engine. a WWII hand operated bomb winch. and a few more. Using a couple of snatch blocks I pulled a buried 806 Farmall out of a quicksand sink hole. with that old ford. they tried to pull it out with a D8 cat. and all it did was spin its tracks. I chained my truck to the D8 so it wouldn't move backward. Had to rev the old 330 FE up quite a bit. but It pulled out the tractor and about 6 yards of mud

302GMC, Boneyard51 and warhorseracing like this.
  10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have one pto driven on my new ramp truck project. I have not tried it yet. 0114191548a95211285[18349] (1).jpg 20180808_101902[16708].jpg 0114191548b95284338[18348].jpg

11. Ford Farmer

Ford Farmer

12. Ford Farmer

Ford Farmer

I am in the market for a small engine driven hydraulic winch for my trailer. I’d love to find something old and rusty to play with

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Old Wolf, only a few people here will know what you are talking about!! I myself have been hired to go down into the Kimachi moutians and pull things out that wreckers wouldn’t go! My winch of choice was a 8000 lbs Konige on a 1/4 Bronco. Many times they told me I didn’t have enough truck........ I said we’ll see!
    I always loved that! I moved a dozer up hill at the request of the company, sideways with my pto Bronco, back in the day!!!

Bones

14. My international bulldozer has a cable control that raises and lowers the blade. Its a winch that pulls a 1/2 in cable. ran thru two sheave blocks it has tremendous power. I can easily root wad big trees that hyd dozers will have a hard time with. I drive alongside and catch the edge of the blade on a root and lift up and easily break it loose. go around that tree cut the roots and easily push it over. then that root wad will be in the hole. come up and push and lift at the same time and out it comes. Folks cant believe that the cable lift is stronger than a Hyd. A Hyd blade dozer when trying to lift the relief valve will pop off or the rear end lift off the ground. My old rig with that great big double drum cable control unit sticking out the rear the back end isn't gonna lift off the ground

tractorguy and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yep, we have a cable blade D-9 Cat, on our ranch, that has 4-5 Reeves in its lifting system. I has a Model 29 double drum cable winch unit on back. The winch is really fast, but when it has to go through 4 parts, it kinda slows the lifting of the 14 foot blade. It’s a good tree pusher. We cleared a lot of land with it.

Bones

deathrowdave and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I ran an International like that a lot that you started on gas and switched to diesel after it ran a while.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  17. I have a WWII TD 14 A and another one for parts. Yes mine starts on gas and after it warms up you pull a lever and it cuts off the gas ,turns on the diesel injection and raises the compression ratio.

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Our TD-9 International Tractor with a Hough loader is set up that way. An awesome loader, has no “quit” in it. I have turned the dozer almost upside down inside the loader frame trying to load big rocks. Have also got under a big rock and have had to put the big wheel tractor loader bucket on the rear hitch to keep the back of the track loader down while raising the rock high enough to back our ten wheeler military dump truck under the rock to load it , to take to the crossing on our creek.

Bones

tractorguy likes this.
  19. When we got this corner there where three giant trees around back. The first job I did here was to install sleeves and pistons in a 1962 power shift D8. It was also a cable blade. When I got it together & Fired it up. To test it I pushed those big trees down. They would have worked my TD14 hard. But wasn't much effort for the D8. I didn't want those aged trees shedding limbs or falling on my vehicles. After I had pushed them from the rootwad hole and filled the holes in and smoothed the area. I cut the trees up into fire wood. I still had three huge stumps. So We hooked them up to the old ford boom truck and blocked up under the back where it wouldn't rear up and raised them up. laid the tail gate straight back on a 1950 ford dump truck with a 4 yard bed. and just one stump overloaded the poor little truck barely setting in the bed. the tires where squatted so we inflated them to 90 PSI. hauled them down to our river land and dumped them in the river where the bank was eroding. took 3 trips. And after all these years they haven't moved.

tractorguy likes this.
  20. Here is a picture of a Beebe bros hand winch We have. These are very handy. light enough to carry you can mount them on a trailer or chain them to a tree ect. they have lots of pulling power and don't require much effort. no battery PTO needed. This one has seen a lot of use and the babbit bushings are very worn. I am going to try and melt out the Babbitt and replace it with bushings made from PCV pipe. beebe bros winch 001.JPG beebe bros winch 003.JPG

mchook, Okie Pete, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  21. Hey @samurai mike .. Isn't the one on your trailer just like that ? ...I've got 2 smaller similar ones ...that were cast right here in Bellingham Wa. One on my trailer + a spare.. (Pics soon)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Old Wolf, we must be cousins! I’ve got four of those Bebee winch’s of various sizes. Every time I drag one home, my wife just rolls her eyes..... I just can’t stop.... I probably need help!

Bones

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    mchook likes this.
  23. Im still actively collecting various stuff. Right now Im wanting a factory winch to fit my 1940 7J D4 caterpillar dozer. If I had one of those winches with 1 inch cable. I could easily winch any thing that I hooked to. Also if the little Cat got stuck winch it out. I only paid $750 for the Dozer last year. So I cannot justify spending a bigger amount on a winch. I have confidence that eventually I will be able to buy one at my price.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. Back in the early 90,s I drove lowboy and turned wrenches for a company that did utility construction. And they decided to plow telephone cable on the southern border with Louiseana and Arkansas. They had two TD 20 international crawlers. So they bought a junk TD 20 that had a blade and winch down below Sreveport and I hauled it back up here. Removed the plow from one 20 and installed that big wench. Hauled the string of equiptment to the south Ark Border. And they would pull the plow dozer with the winch dozer and if the came to a muddy place string out cable and winch the plow dozer across. Worked great. Until one place It was soft and the winch dozer barely made it across. And the owner was on the plow dozer and had the first dozer winch him into that hole. and that plow dozer broke thru and went down nose first. nothing but the plow sticking out. It took two big caterpillar track excavators to dig it out. and it would have kept going down if not for the two inch winch cable holding it. We worked the dozer over and cleaned everything but it really wasn't up to par after being submerged in a quicksand hole.

25. Here a pictures of some of my winch collection First is a old Tulsa. I was thinking I could mount it on my D4 and use a HYD motor to power it. or if I could find a pto use the pto for pulling and the Hyd motor for reverse. Second is a hand winch that is on my old 64 chev wrecker. Its a SASGEN made in Chicago its geared extremely slow and has a lot of power with little effort. The good thing about a slow geared hand winch is you can control the movement by fractions of an inch. when using a boom pole we could pull and install engines and stuff like final drives and easily line up components. Next is the 40,000 pound Highway mounted on my F 600 66 ford. Its out of service at present. We sometimes would operate it by hand by installing a 3/4 ratchet to a socket welded to the pto shaft.I think I will pull the 262 engine from my 55 ford wagon and put it in the 66. I have a 62 T bird 390 I think need to be in the wagon. Next s my latest purchased winch cost $15 at a farm sale.. I think it came off of a grain auger ? I was thinking of installing it on a wheeled swing set that now has a chain hoist. I think the winch could be mounted on a side beam and the cable could be operated by a hand crank. Last is what I call a Tugger. It had a 8 Hp one cyl briggs engine. the engine has a gear reduction the drove a chain. It has two levers one engages the drum and the controls the brake. The engine was very old and not viable. I need to get a 8 or ten hp gear reduction engine. I do have a two cyl wisconsin with a gear drive & a clutch & electric start winches 001.JPG winches 002.JPG winches 003.JPG winches 004.JPG winches 006.JPG winches 007.JPG winches 008.JPG winches 013.JPG winches 014.JPG but its too big.

Okie Pete likes this.
  26. When I was twenty years old. Before I could afford a factory PTO winch I made my own. I took a granny 4 speed and attached it directly to a 3/4 rear end with one U joint. pulled one axle and cut off the housing. installed a pillow block on the flange end of the axle and welded two disk blades 20 inches aparton the axle. installed the whole works on a 46 ford bob truck. used a master cyl to lock up the remaining drum and that made the other axle turn. I had installed a sprocket & pillow block on the trans inpuit. driven by a one way pto. I had also installed a swinging gin pole to a stout headache rack. I could put the cable over my shoulder and drag it up to 200 feet. hook to a big log or a few small logs. and winch them to the truck and lift them up and load the on the log bunks. I had a 61 -352 two bbl engine adapted to the original trans in that truck. and it would haul the mail. I would drive the 65 MPH speed limit loaded. I also moved cars on that rig. Back them I hauled many cars to the scrapper and got about $30 for them. Cars that would make you cry to see them crushed today. LOL.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

147621D2-3E8D-45EC-B01E-6C75611774FE.jpeg E197F1DD-C472-4427-B77C-CE27951CB0A1.jpeg B84A1425-8605-4135-8349-481D20EB2C39.jpeg 4DBC2BB1-E3FC-421C-A718-AD2F2A63A961.jpeg 386A5324-DB77-4764-A23B-F14A3C0F6CE3.jpeg CB4A1B11-5A64-454C-904E-FD9830F79C65.jpeg 84EFC1F5-DFFB-46B2-9685-D22C53002CDC.jpeg 44CCE955-97B8-48C2-B6F3-47FF4527AD55.jpeg 6AD0E5AD-33D3-4924-8063-EA39D65E115E.jpeg E7AEBE21-AF71-46A1-AE72-4C01741D0CD3.jpeg F7BA22C1-F169-41B1-B3B3-47CD643585BF.jpeg Old Wolf ,We have to be kin some way? I to couldn’t afford a winch as a young father, so I built an electric winch out of a pto winch using a 1956 Mack starter and a lawn mower transmission!
    Here are some pics of some of my cable rollers. I took pics of what was close to the ranch house, have a couple other Tulsa 21s, a Tulsa 34 like new, a Tulsa 64, a 12,000 Braden hydraulic, an ONG rig truck with a Tulsa 34, several other hand winches, an 8,000 lbs Braden up right, about ten electric Ramsey’s, two hydraulic Milemarkers one high pressure, a couple of Tulsa 18s, a Hyster to fit my D-6 Cat, a couple of Warn 8,000 winches, and probably a couple of others

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Okie Pete and tractorguy like this.
  28. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

I just got my hauler together after a hitch catastrophe bringing this trailer home without a brake controller. I knew I didn't have brakes on the trailer and tried to be easy bringing it back, some idiot did a quit stop in front of me and I had to slam the brakes....rendering the hitch useless. I was lucky to limp it home.

I have never had such a heavy hauler before, I've owned smaller trailers, but this can fetch just about anything I would want to drag home. This is a Miller 12-ton Tilt-Top trailer w/electric brakes and I've never had a winch on one...a 9500 lb. winch. Fused wire was run back to the trailer from the battery for another battery (don't have one yet) which will connect to the winch.

Today I am going to try and drag my 'ol '46 down to the scale and get it weighed.

hitch-with-broken-weld.jpg hitch-broken-weld.jpg hitch-carnage.jpg hitch-near-completion.jpg hitch-rear-receiver-overview.jpg flatbed-brake-controller.jpg miller-tilt-top-1.jpg truck-n-trailer-hook-tube.jpg truck-n-trailer-winch.jpg truck-n-trailer-rear-left.jpg hitch-with-broken-weld.jpg hitch-broken-weld.jpg hitch-carnage.jpg hitch-near-completion.jpg hitch-rear-receiver-overview.jpg flatbed-brake-controller.jpg miller-tilt-top-1.jpg truck-n-trailer-hook-tube.jpg truck-n-trailer-winch.jpg truck-n-trailer-rear-left.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Okie Pete and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The first thingnyou need to do is get rid of those jumper cable clamps and get regular battery terminals. Enough battery is very important for a winch to develop its full power. If you run heavy wire back to your trailer and put a very large connector at the back of your truck, your winch will work at almost its full capacity.

Bones