Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need a valid Ford paint code

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Hey there fellow HAMBers !
    My 1949 shoebox Ford is soon ready to be shot with fresh paint. I've changed my mind again, now going with it's original color, Bayview Blue Metallic. I have several different paint codes ready to go, but was told today that they don't seem to be valid numbers.
    Does anyone have access to a recent paint code book that may be able to help ? Time is sorta short at this point ...
    The numbers I have are :
    Ford code : M-14288
    Dulux : 181-22386
    Duco : 202-81346
    Dupont : 181-22386 and 202-81346
    Ditzler/PPG : 10461

It's for my 1949 Ford Club Coupe, Bayview Blue Metallic

Thanks in advance !

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Try TCP Global they show they can mix it.
    KK

indyjps likes this.
  3. oldolds

oldolds

Is Reading Paint and Lacquer still in business? I just looked them up they seem to be in a different location than I remember. A bit different name too. I went to an old building this one looked new. 20 years ago I needed some odd paint color. I went there. The guy found the formula for the 50's IH truck in the old color chip books, went on 2 different computers at the same time and figured out the new formula. Went from plain enamel to urethane single stage as well. He was a little older than me at the time. I am 59 so he might still be there. lol They had many different brands then as well. Not just PPG.

4. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Glasurit shows a current code for it in their classic car paints line. Be aware though that other major manufacturers probably won't be able to cross the Glasurit code to something of their own. For most of them, the cost of developing formulas for current paint materials to match old colors isn't worth the investment of time and dollars as they'd be unlikely to sell of any particular color to make it worthwhile.

https://coloronline.glasurit.com/CCC/html/index.php Fill in the blanks and it will bring up the code for bayview as well as some other blues.

Glasurit is good stuff and is widely available, but it sure ain't cheap. A cheaper option would be to go to someone like a Wanda paint dealer (good paint but much cheaper than the major brands) and go thru their color books until you find a current color that's a suitable match.

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks ! Going to look into that, to see if it helps the painter come up with something.

Thanks ! Paint and Lacquer is now called Colours. They're the guys that the painter goes through. They're going to dig a bit deeper for me tomorrow. I hope they come up with something, as it would be the simplest option for me.

Thanks ! I've never heard of them, but will certainly keep them in mind. My luck, if i go through paint chips, I'll miss by a mile, lol !

6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have been at this classic car paint restoration business for over 40 years. The fact is the code and the color you seek no longer are available period! Why? Because the toners are no longer available. The formulas that are available for popular 40s,50, 60s, and so on colors are computer generated closest possible match. Made with current day EPA regulated toners. Good luck with your search and if you have a part with the original color,a good auto body paint supply outfit in your area may have someone in their mixing department who can color match it and create you a formula! Larry

Tickety Boo, F-ONE and john worden like this.
  7. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks !
    I'll have to see what the painter wants to do. I thought I was more than ready, with several codes, lol ! He said about the scan thing, if I can't come up with the info (inside the trunk is still blue). I guess that's a viable option.

9. Be aware "the scan thing" will only provide a paint code for a current existing colour that is close in colour to what it scans. It doesn't magically produce a code to produce the exact colour. If it is close a good painter should be able to tweek it but I have seen many that provide a colour code that is not even in the ball park of what is scanned.

Buddy Palumbo and john worden like this.
  10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Something I've found with Ford colors is that Ford whould recycle them and use them again in ten or fifteen years. So if you have color clips from the sixties you color my be there.

11. the violator

the violator

The codes are correct for the car but the guys at Colours inc do not have a formula to follow. Probably because the toners are obsolete like mentioned above. I’ve been dealing with these guys for a long time, they will get us what we want!!!! And it’s not gonna be pebble beach concourse restoration so as long as it is close I think we will be fine. Right Allen???? Ha!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Buddy Palumbo likes this.
  12. BigChief

BigChief

I like PPG stuff. When we shot my 48 Ford in its original Maize Yellow the only way to get the base coat was in their economy line, Omni....then shoot good clear. Might want to check various paint manufacturers to see if there is anything kicking around in their databases...highline and economy. TCB Global may be able to hook you up. Be aware that if these places are mixing with modern toners the colors may not be a dead on match for the original....also be sure to buy and correctly store enough for touch ups....as getting old/odd ball colors mixed hocus-pocus is unlikely to match.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

One way or another, it'll turn out looking great. The painter is a skilled dude and I've got faith.

Certainly food for thought. Might provide something damn close.

You're totally right, things will work out fine in the end, I'm not worried. I'm not expecting pebble beach, lol ! I know it'll be great though. I'm excited !

I'm not a painter, so ALL of this is hocus pocus to me, ha ha !! Old cars can be a struggle in more ways than one, I'm used to it. I've only recently decided to use the original color, so I've thrown a wrench in the works, I know time is of the essence, so I feel kinda bad.

K13 likes this.
  14. the violator

the violator

Here is a current picture of the car. These are some of my high school juniors that have been doing all the block sanding and prep work. Most likely the seniors will be spraying the color and clear.[​IMG]

15. the violator

the violator

Im very happy with the outcome so far. Maybe even get some teenagers to like old cars.

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That would be a worthwhile mission !

17. the violator

the violator

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It looks great - I really can't thank you guys enough. Thanks for getting the car in and making it shiney again.

19. the violator

the violator

I think the color is a good match. It’s basecoat clearcoat so it looks deeper than original . But still tasteful on this mild custom.

Buddy Palumbo likes this.