Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spent just about the whole day replacing U-Joints under a C2 Corvette, then bent over the front end installing the headlight motors.
    So....after crawling around under and around that little car all day I can truly admit : yeah, I actually AM 70 years old!....I hurt all over!
    I'm gettin' too old for this shit.

40two and 61Cruiser like this.
  2. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Spent from midnight till 6am doing the 2nd half of my shift, went home,played with cats for 2 minutes,slept till 11am. Breakfast, went in shop and worked on old boat,took shower,went and got supplies for said boat and picked up new alum transom at shop. Went to the gym and now wolfing down dinner because I am back to work by 5:45 and do my last night shift. I got momentum going now and have to stick to the plan. This thread alone is inspiration to do so!!

61Cruiser and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  3. IMG-20190108-WA0007[1].jpeg

to-nite i dropped in the last new pistons, my original '42 is now 0.060" over, new alloy pistons, new valves and guides, the rods are redone, new bearings everywhere. still the matching numbers engine.

All of my friends said: " man, i'm lucky with you that you decided to revive the matching straight eight engine"

i'm little bit proud of that and of my friends for sure.

for half of the money i spent i could have made her running with a 350 something hydramatic combo, but... i love the sounds she made and the smells and ..... so on.

BradinNC, 61Cruiser, j hansen and 4 others like this.
  4. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^^^I'll bet that straight 8 gives your engine stand a run for its money!

40two likes this.
  5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

40two, 61Cruiser and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  6. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Worked on getting the footings done, I had to hire someone to come out and help. One more step towards my workshop. IMG_20190108_145000403.jpeg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Looks good! Size? My new shop just passed rough electrical yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

This first one will be the smaller of the two, 1200 Square Feet. I really want to use it to store all of my project parts. No electricity or plumbing necessary.

After I pass inspection on building # one, I plan on building a 2800 Square Foot as a second shop for doing my actual work. Including running water, septic, and 3 phase electrical power. I am only allowed 4000 square feet total here.... So this is what I have to work with, following California Law. I am going to make the most of it.

Then I will figure out how to set up my Kansas property... Less rules, more affordable! Yay!

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  9. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Certainly one without plumbing or electrical should go quickly. Hope that proceeds smoothly. Besides the framing and concrete I can’t say it’s been smooth here but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Randy

classiccarjack likes this.
  10. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

How big is your shop?

11. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

50x74. Out of that, 14x50 is a closed off from the rest section for the tractor and yard equipment. I hate the smell of grass and want it all separate from the shop! Lol.

classiccarjack likes this.
  12. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I wish I could have a shop that large. But maybe I could build one in Kansas someday.... Very nice.

I understand the discomfort of grass, makes me sneeze!

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Enjoyed Sunset at Waikiki Beach, Hawaii 20190108_180320.jpg

61Cruiser, ct1932ford, mnjeff and 6 others like this.
  14. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

The U.S. Army pulled a bunch of those tricks too, never raise you hand for anything!!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  15. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

That is probably the best hour and a half you have spent in a long time, for you and him both. The last uncle I have left is a 92 year old WWII vet. He tells me the same old Army and other stories from the old days every time I see him. I just act like I never heard them before and enjoy every minute of it. I like to get him to talk about his 58 Tri-power Pontiac Chieftain he had back in the day and all the adventures he and my Dad had in it.:cool::D

X-cpe, 61Cruiser, j hansen and 2 others like this.
  16. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Thanks for making the rest of us feel really shit on:p

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Believe it or not.... this old,fat, Okie has surfed there, in 2007!

Bones

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I and some buddies helped a fellow club member move his stalled project from his house:
    IMG_4044.JPG
    IMG_4047.JPG The owner is the one in the middle... with the biggest smile!! IMG_4050.JPG IMG_4051.JPG IMG_4052.JPG We moved it to another club member's garage that is going to move it forward pretty quickly.
    IMG_4053.JPG That's one he is building now in the other bay.
    IMG_4054.JPG Many good cars have come out of these two bays... and usually pretty quickly!
    We call them, "Bobby Built."

40two, j hansen and Jalopy Joker like this.
  19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

He looks like a sneaking Con artist who just conned you guys into helping:D
    upload_2019-1-9_19-7-58.jpeg
    Just kidding:p

61Cruiser and Hamtown Al like this.
  20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Don't bad mouth the member we call, "Shadow." "Shadow" because he is always there at club meetings and other gatherings and he also took a little ride with me in my 36 cabriolet from VA to the LARS in 2016.:)
    He bought our breakfast... willingly!!:D:D
    I will agree he looks pretty happy but I did say, "Smile Shadow."
    This is the shot prior to the one above:
    IMG_4046.JPG
    Dang! 'Ol Shadow looks a bit sneaky in this picture, too!:D:D
    Our club began in 1974 and four of us there today have been in the club since the beginning. Shadow has only been with us about the last 20 years.
    We don't do much but we usually have a good time at it.;):D

40two, esrbuilders, 61Cruiser and 4 others like this.
  21. Got up at 60 pontiac 003.JPG 60 pontiac 004.JPG 60 pontiac 005.JPG 60 pontiac 006.JPG 60 pontiac 007.JPG 60 pontiac 008.JPG 60 pontiac 009.JPG day light. and fed the outside wood stove. cold morning 26 degrees. After breakfast I got in my OT 82 chevy wrecker and went to Missouri and hooked up to the 60 Pontiac I bought at the New years day estate sale. had to set the front wheels in the dolleys and remove the rear tires because I was worried about a humped R R crossing at Koskonog Mo. I couldn't tell when I bought it because of the leaves and being sunk in the dirt. However the floor pans and rockers are badly rusted. I only wanted the 389 engine anyhow. It has a trailer hitch on the back. Likely the hydro went bad is why it was parked. The tires where flat but had good tread and where matched sets. highway tread on front and snow tires on the rear. It was the maiden voyage for the wrecker since I swapped the engine. I drove it down to the corner yesterday a distance of two miles. Todays trip was 70 miles one way. The new engine has a two bbl carb. the old had a Q jet. and the throttle linkage don't fit correctly. and I had a part opening throttle. That was the only problem.

40two, LAROKE, UNSHINED 2 and 4 others like this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Today, Pulled the rear end out of my 34 pickup to install some 354 gears in.
    Can’t wait to finally get better gearing in it.

23. Deuces

Deuces

Worked my ass off on a Bridgeport.... :mad::(:rolleyes:

24. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Congrats on a successful day with both the wrecker and grabbing the ol pontiac!!

Old wolf likes this.
  25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another big deal- I replaced a duplex receptacle in the big garage. Very odd, indeed. The only thing on that plug was an old stereo and a Harley neon clock. A while back I was working along and the radio went silent.
    I found the GFI socket for that circuit and cycled it a few time but that did not help. Adjacent duplex sockets worked fine but not the one for my radio and clock. It was replaced with no fanfare and the breaker was activated and I had my oldies station again.
    A cursory investigation (I didn't take it apart) showed nothing out of the ordinary. No moving parts, no damage, no smoke, no leaks, no noise, etc. The thing just quit.

26. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Shoveled Snow And I Am Damn Good At It... DSCN1633.JPG

27. Picked up my gas tank from being painted by to33anda3rd. Got it prepped to go back in tomorrow.:cool: Also took my new puppy to a play date that wore her out. :oops: IMG_4318.JPG IMG_4310.JPG

28. j hansen

j hansen

Someone told the new guy, you do not need a respirator mask if you have antistatic shoes!(powder painting)
    Skärmavbild 2019-01-11 kl. 16.06.44.png

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Max Gearhead and classiccarjack like this.
  29. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I am hoping to meet Don Dillard today to pick up a DeSoto Flathead that I bought from him. I am on my way to pick up the truck and service it for the road.

30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20190110_123732.jpg 20190110_123807.jpg 20190110_123755.jpg Visited 808 Speed Shop in Kailua on Oahu, Hawaii. Was there at lunchtime and missed them, next time

Deuces likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.