Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A gauges, updated with my solution

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VinnieCap, Dec 27, 2018.

1. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Hello,

I am converting my '28 Model A to 12 volt and adding some gauges. I want to install Volt Meter, Oil Pressure (won't have original motor), and Water Temp.

We are building a lower dash section that will hold two of the gauges. I'd like to put the third gauge in the original Amp Meter dash location.

Questions:
    - Do they sell any of the above gauges that will fit in the original dash location? Diameter/depth.
    - If I have to enlarge diameter of original dash opening can I get one that will work depth wise?

Let me know your suggestions or what you have used.
    Thanks
    Vinnie

2. Try your post also on fordbarn. I think you are out of luck. Can you forget the volt meter and use the original ammeter with a shunt? What range do you need for the oil pressure (Model A was 0 to 10 PSI)? Attached show a couple of the ideas I like. Probably available from Brattons. Also you can mount them in the passenger side cowl panel.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_5339.jpg IMG_5338.jpg
    IMG_5319.jpg IMG_5333.jpg

3. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Hey Charlie,

How are you? I am going with a Chevy II 153ci 4 cylinder motor, so want the oil pressure gauge for it.

So the three gauges we picked seemed to be the necessary ones to have. We are making a small dash extension for around the steering column that should hold 2, was hoping to find something that would fit in the original Amp location. I don't think the depth clearance will work for any modern gauge though.

4. I think the ones I show are off the shelf, probably from Brattons, so don't work too hard. I think I would just run the original amp gauge with a shunt to bypass some of the current. That is how I am running my AVATAR. Chevy II (actually 181 Mercruiser), generator (for looks) and original amp gauge with a shunt. Forget the voltmeter. Put the other two gauges around the steering column.

Charlie Stephens

5. fillinjc

fillinjc

IMG_3864.JPG IMG_3872.JPG IMG_3879.JPG IMG_3880.JPG

I added a Stewart Warner ammeter to my model a instrument panel by enlarging the original opening and making a spacer to get the studs away from the gas tank.

Jerry

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. fillinjc

fillinjc

The replacement gauges from the model a suppliers were not good quality. I tried one but could not get it in place without the needle falling off. Tried several times then in the trash can.

Jerry

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

You have a few options on the panels and just have to find them. The gauges if using the original panel will have to be vintage gauges or modified to fit correct. The early gauges such as SW and others like Rex-A-co were shallow in depth. The dash overlay such as the aristocratic or Dunn you can use more modern in the corners and vintage in the original panel. The add on dash under panels any gauge can be used.. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

8. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

alright... here is our solution. We are putting one gauge in the original dash location. I reamed out the amp meter hole and it fits nicely. Then my builder, Ivan, made a lower dash for under the steering column. It will hold two additional gauges, the start button, light switch, turn indicators. The lower dash is not complete, this is just the mock up. pics attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019