Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Belt tensioner or alternator mount

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Plumlee, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Problem: Using Eddie Meyer manifold on 8BA, want to use an alternator. The manifold means NO way to use an old style gen mount. I already have a shorty Ford alt, like to use that rather than pay $400 for a fake alt. Anybody out there ever ACTUALLY set up a belt tensioner on a flattie, OR fabbed up a driver side Alternator mount?? Using Edelbrock heads. Truck water pumps/ pulleys. Looking for somebody at this point I could pay to fab something they know works. Have not seen any past HAMB posts that help.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

First, close your eyes and pretend it's a flathead.
    Ford Motorsports alternator, made the rest.

20161107_010143.jpg

LOU WELLS and Hnstray like this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

don't they make alt. brackets that mount off the left head [offset] ?

4. Go Kart track rod - works like a turnbuckle - strip off the anodising and it's perfect for adjusting belt tension. Very cheap. See below

[​IMG]

5. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Turns out there IS a driver side alt mount according to H&H.....meant for use with Power Gen unit...so you are correct.

6. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

VERY slick setup....I like the tensioner where did you get that? PS, there is a chunk missing in your frame, thanks for the pic.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My apologies to the OP for going off course, just thought some points could be used.
    I was a machinist for 30 years so I just whittled it out of whatever was in the scrap bin at work, no charge, sometimes the saw guy made scrap for me, it was a good partnership.
    Store bought parts were just a few rod ends and a couple of bearings for the idler.
    Boy, I turned that alternator every direction to not have to notch the frame but a prerequisite was a low mount, probably could have used a smaller alternator but I liked this one.
    My chassis is pinched 3/4"/side and the hood (just) hid the notch, that pleased me.

8. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not great pics but this might give you some ideas.

I did not want to use the head bolts for mounting the alternator - so I made up a bracket that anchors via the water pump bolts. It is in essence a flat plate with tabs welded to the top side (so the alternator can swing from it) and tabs on the underneath side that lock it down via the water pump bolts.

Since the version on the stand I had to reduce the alternator pully size (so it charged at idle) and altered the idler wheel position to get more wrap on the water pump pully. 5mm plate and brackets means it does not move or wobble around under load.
    Alternator is a small denso type - California alternators are a good source for them in a range of outputs

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    barrnone50 likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't find a drivers side bracket for alternator or generator for the 8BA style engine that bolts to the head That doesn't mean one doesn't exist, I just can't find it. Or is the bolt pattern the same and they don't generally use that style bracket on an 8BA?
    This video gives a pretty good shot of a cast bracket on a running engine Stop it at 034/123 and it will give you an idea of how it goes together.

From looking at the video I'd think a guy could use one of the slingshot brackets that normally bolts to the manifold on the bracket on the head and have built in adjustment.
    You might have to fab your own to get the mount points right but the slot would give the adjustment.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019