Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stepping up to a Step down bought my 7 year old a 54 Hornet

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piston Farmer, May 24, 2018.

1. Dwardo

Dwardo

I see you have studs holding the head on, not bolts. Are they 7/16 inch or 1/2 inch? If they are 1/2 inch you may have something interesting there. I think 55-56 engines came with 1/2 inch studs from the factory. Your Twin-H manifold is from one of the earlier cars but that doesn't mean much. You could also have an engine somebody modified or even a 7x but chances of a 7x are very remote. Even if they are 7/16 it means somebody was in there and replaced the bolts with studs. I am very curious to know what you have.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

It's me Dad, your old son Duce three window.....!

Frankie47, czuch and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

My brother and I will be over for a labor day BBQ.

4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Seriously, that's coming out nice. Did you just clean those air cleaners?

5. Honestly spent a week on them removing old paint cleaning them up and redoing them.

I have read about the 7x engines but I haven’t bothered to check sizes. Information I have was it’s been rebuilt would explain some changes.

dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. I checked today. They are 1/2” studs. What else would I check to see if it was a 7x block.

7. Dwardo

Dwardo

I thought I answered this but I don't know what happened to my post. It's likely you have a '56 (or 55?) engine, which is good because they hold head gaskets better and have a better block relief. It's possible somebody rebuilt it with the studs, which would indicate a better-than-average rebuild. It could be a 7x, but that would be like hitting the lottery. The serial number for all cars through 54 should be on the passenger side front of the block at the top, stamped vertically. I think I remember the 55-56 blocks have it somewhere else. I also think I remember that 7x blocks were stamped with the state followed by some other number because you could not order a 7x in your car but a 7x could be dealer installed. Somebody on the Hudson forum would know better than me. The only sure way to tell is pull the head and see what you have for valve sizes and block relief. The car seems like a good score no matter what! Power steering is really hard to come by.

Piston Farmer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. I bought a 53 Hornet for parts to convert mine over to an auto setup, once i pull the parts the body is for sale but it has what i need for my conversion!

Attached Files:

9. scotts52

scotts52

I might be interested in buying some parts off you when you're done.

10. We did a disc brake upgrade on the Hornet next project is going to be a new headliner in it

Attached Files:

11. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

great idea upgrading the old anchors. One of the first things we did on our step down as well.
    [​IMG]
    Not sure we are aloud any welding on this area here in NZ. hard to tell from the pic but is it penetrated all the way through? kinda looks like a crack is visible.

Looking forward to the headliner update. Something we still need to think about. Not looking forward removing ours due to the amount of rat crap etc I know is lurking up there.

dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. greener200

greener200

Been following along for the ride ,,,,, keep the kids away and ware a filter mask ,, ,that chit is BADD to breath in ..

13. vetteson

vetteson

This is my '54 Hornet coupe, '56 308 built to 7X specifications and a Clifford header. Trans is a S10 T5 5-sp, Richmond 3.91 rear.

[​IMG] images.jpg

Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. catdad49

catdad49

That is a graceful automobile, Lucky kid!

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  15. hudson48

hudson48

Welcome to the Hudson Club. Nice looking original car and with Twin H Power

16. No cracks here. This a conversion made by Scarebird brakes. It went together really well!

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  17. manyolcars

manyolcars

You got lucky. Scarebird parts did not fit my car without grinding on my spindles and I sure didnt want to do that! I think its best to stay away from scarebird

18. Dwardo

Dwardo

That is SWEET!

19. Well I picked up this Hudson Hornet Hollywood yesterday. The Hollywood is a two door hard top no post car. One of the most desirable Hudson’s ever made. She’s a power steering power brake car! To bad the person that was working on it for the owner of the car didn’t know what the hell they were doing and then pulled it out of the garage with a excavator with a shitty strap that broke free and she went for a tumble off the side of their driveway .

Attached Files:

20. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Since it's already a hardtop, the best thing to do would be to turn it into a Carson topped convertible kustom!

KustomKreeps and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. -Brent-

-Brent-

I was hoping for Eleanor, Enzo, and Shelby! Hahaha.

22. Dwardo

Dwardo

Oh Jeez! You have a Hollywood and some ass rolled it down a hill? That makes me cry. I know a lot of the parts are Hollywood-specific so hopefully you have all the interior trim and such. You Twin-H manifold is from a post-54 car; you can tell by the fact that the balance tube is not external. I see blue paint on the engine in places. I know that J.C. Whitney bought a lot of Hudson engines when they went out of business and sold them in their catalogue. My understanding is that they were painted blue. So hmmm...

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Man-O-Man; the kid's going to be beatin' the wimmen's off with a lug wrench having that car. Maybe not? Time will tell. Start them early on this car thing! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

That's pretty damn cool! I bet all your hearing is "hey Dad! Can we go work on the car?????"

25. The Hollywood is an impressive car. Especially for a 54.

26. I have made some progress popping the roof out. And a 54 sedan is going to be coming my way which will give me the entire front sheet metal for replacement and a new windshield frame to help straighten everything out. Wish I new someone that was fantastic with working metal in southwest Washington. I can do the work but really slow. I know a good body man could probably knock out straightening it out way faster.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    TrailerTrashToo and Peanut 1959 like this.
  27. Making some progress on the Hudson. I replaced all the steering wear parts, just changed the headlights to led with new green visors and I’m now making backing plates to convert these cars to disk brakes!

Attached Files:

28. With all those Hudsons, we're going to have to change your name to "Hudson Farmer"

29. Two steps forward, one step back.
    All new steering parts meant it was time for an alignment. Only this shop couldn’t do it so I found an old shop that did.

I had this starter rebuilt and then the new bendix blew out the spring. Found out the keeper spring has a bevel and it had been installed backwards.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.