Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Happy 50th Birthday, Hot Wheels!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Happy 50th Birthday, Hot Wheels!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. raven

raven

I still own some of my original collection I got when I was a kid, the year they first came out. Does that make me old?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 and stillrunners like this.
  3. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

It’s relative, man.

raven likes this.
  4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Influence? Without Hotwheels I wouldn't be on this site. I would probably be a fireman or working construction. Thank God for Hotwheels!

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I still have mine from the first year also. As a kid it was the first exposure to stuff like the Beatnik Bandit, Debora and other iconic cars.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. I am in there with you guys also. Have some of the first release cars.
    Vic

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I was 8 in 1968. for whatever reason when we moved when I was 12 my Hot Wheels were about the only toys that survived the move. still have a bunch of them but sold a few on ebay a few years back. I would say HotWheels definitely had an effect on me becoming a car guy. a subscription to Street Rodder when I was 12 sealed the deal.

Deuces and HEMI32 like this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still own two cars with red line tires. I blame hot wheels. :cool:

9. silent rick

silent rick

i was born in 60 and was happy playing with my match box cars. then in 68-69 a new kid moved in on the block.

me: son of a bitch. what you got there kid?

kid: it's a hot wheel

me: let me see it. wow, wide wheels that actually roll.

i was hooked. i know i have the cougar and fleetside. i think i also had the eldo, python and beatnik bandit from the first year. they were played with so they'd be pretty scratched up. i might still have them.

hot wheels, the neighbors tuning their mustangs and cudas before heading to 30 and american grafitti. the rest is history.

Deuces likes this.
  10. wait that was last year! Matchbox Superfast is 50 in 2019!
    Yeah I am biased on this one! Matchbox basics turned 65 in 2018 also.

Deuces and XXL__ like this.
  11. belair

belair

I had the blue Camaro, green Cougar, and brown T-bird as soon as they came out. All long gone.

12. NoSurf

NoSurf

Yes.

Deuces, 49ratfink and raven like this.
  13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Damn!! I'm older than hot wheels ? Gotta keep that tidbit of information from my kids and family.

Deuces likes this.
  14. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

I was about 13 years old when Hot Wheels made their first appearance; in between toy cars and girls. For about 3-4 years I stayed in the closet, then I embraced my inner Hot Wheels fanatic. Never looked back-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Normant93

Normant93

I still have most of mine. Like silent rick, I moved from matchbox cars to Hot Wheels in '68.
    My track and cars, combined with my friends across the street, the Clay brothers, could cover half a house and down the stairs with track, banked corners and loops, it was freakin awesome!
    When my son was about 5, I spent a couple months buying a bunch of original hot wheels track, accessories and original cars on Ebay, then gave the whole kit to my son for Christmas..... so once again, combined with mine, we could cover the house and stairs with track...…. doing that with my kids, was just as much fun as I remember it being when I was a kid!
    like they say, 'it's never too late to have a happy childhood'

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Deuces, 49ratfink and Murphy32 like this.
  16. I have only one redline from when I was kid still... gave most of my hot wheels and cases away when I was in Jr High & High School to neighborhood kids...

Deuces and 49ratfink like this.
  17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My friend Larry Moretti owned 'Early Auto' next door to Sid Chavers' shop.
    Larry had a nice '32 five window he had built, highboy style, Gennie '32 rails, SBC, 400 T.H., steel wheels.
    A gent walked up to him at a Lodi run, said he had something for him. It was a HOT WHEELS '32 five window hiboy, black primered, spittin' image!
    Larry was surprised, even moreso when the donor introduced himself: Larry Wood, owner/propreiter of HOT WHEELS! Liked Larry's deuce so much he made a special one-off.

18. Way back when time capsules were very popular a buddy & I packaged up what was left of our Hot Wheels & other dinky toys in a plastic cash drawer kind of thing & buried it in my parents back yard.
    The house has since been torn down & the yard re-landscaped.
    So much for the time capsule thing.
    We thought it was a good idea at the time.

Deuces, 49ratfink and Murphy32 like this.
  19. don daddyo

don daddyo

When we were young me and my brothers had to share Hot Wheels , we didn't get what we want , with a family of eleven children's ,but I do remember the first one we had , was a 55 Chevy Station Wagon, it was I think purple or green, I do think I still have this one some where .And I do still own a lot of those Hot Wheels of all kinds ...

Deuces likes this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

My first one...musta been about the time they came out...a buck a piece, was the '67 T-Bird, blue with the black roof...scratched all the black off with my fingernail...lol...Still have all mine, still have a lot of track too, have the thing that spins some rubber wheels to scoot the along somewhere. Also have the plastic casting thing with the molds to make your own. Have the fold out garage thing somewhere too.

Gotta find all that stuff.

Deuces likes this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

One dollar apiece at The Specialty Shop on S. Court St. in Athens, Ohio, right in the basement of Full's Walgreen Drugstore. The track made a terrifying disciplinary tool.

Deuces and patmanta like this.
  22. I remember the store in town didn't have Hot Wheels, but they had Match box. I bought Orange Peel and back then they came in a box (more exciting then Hot Wheels you have to admit). I did get into Hot Wheels in the 90's, sets, collector cars and others. I don't remember when I was a kid in the mid 70's but I do have some older cars, so I must have had them given to me at some point.

Deuces likes this.
  23. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I had a collection in about 71ish, About 5-6 yrs. Ol , My dad took me to a junkyard somewhere around Pasadena area that crushed cars.... I thought that was the Koolest thing Ever..... Then I found a hammer... I didn't get anymore hot wheels... h-hee

24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry guys, Hot Wheels are post 1965, which makes them off-topic on the H.A.M.B. This thread will probably get deleted.:rolleyes:

spurgeonforge likes this.
  25. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Lol

Deuces likes this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man, I had all the cool ones when they came out. Don’t have a single one left. The kids in the neighborhood used to put our tracks together and make a giant downhill drag strip.... I do have the full size cheeta/python hot wheel car though. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Normant93

Normant93

Moriarity, once again with the coolest stuff, for the win!

Deuces, Moriarity and raven like this.
  28. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

They were 60c each at the checkout when I was a kid in the early 70s,,, dad was a flight engineer for qantas back then,,,, he bought me corgis and match box back from the UK,,,, mom bought me hotwheels at the checkout,,,, I traded all my matchbox to my cousins, but kept all my hotwheels,, they just spoke to me......

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  29. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

There's always a nay sayer,,,,,,,, it's kids toys dude relax largely based on hotrods and hot wheels are largely Responsable for making kids think outta the box

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  30. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Kindigit Designs owner has a degree from Hot Wheels and Lego