Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which fuel stabilizer do you use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Jan 8, 2019.

?
  1. Sta-bil

37 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. Seafoam

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. other

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. As cold weather closes in and many of us can't drive our cars for an extended period of time, which fuel stabilizer do you use? Sta-bil, Seafoam or other. Thanks. 13836119_LRG.07062018023013.jpg 5cba1f04-532f-4a4d-bdfd-01af570ee80d_1.5a2b8e671e5bccb11d673f8f1831013d.jpeg

2. pitman

pitman

There are at least two Stabils, the more expensive color works.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 5window

5window

4. ............There is a different color one that says for marine use. What could be the difference in the formula or is there yet another one?

lothianwilly71 likes this.

5. I use the blue one, it is for marine use & with all this corn gas, you want one that is better for humid areas or water condensation...

6. pitman

pitman

Much like s high quality Dry-Gas. $$$
    The blue must absorb more moisture.

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I had bad experiences with Sta-Bil. Many times customers would ask me what was the best way to store their lawn mowers for the winter. I would tell them to not store them for the winter, use them in the winter! Pull carts with them for leaves etc.
    Same goes for cars. I know the Northern guys have different situation than us Southerners. But I’m sure there are dry days up North that a guy could drive his car. If not open the garage and just run the engine and move the car back and forth to move the seals.
    Every machine that came through my shop for maintenance got a can of Sea-Foam. Sea-Foam solved a lot of carburetor problems for me, also.

Bones

F&J and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Marine Stable year round, it is supposed to help with the alcohol in the gas.
    Been using it for a few years and I have not had any problems.
    Took my '57 and '32 out Saturday as it was in the 50's and no salt on the roads.
    That will probably be the last time until spring!
    KK

9. I don't use anything anymore if the car is stored inside. I do fill the tank with premium gas that is alcohol free (supposedly) and may or may not run it in the 4 months it will be sitting.

If the car is outside and / or has regular gas with who knows how much alcohol in the mix I will use SeaFoam.

10. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Startron is what the small power products recommend, you can get it at any Wal-Mart or most sporting goods store. It's also used in outboard motors. I have used it for years without a problem.

11. Sea Foam. I will drive the cars on nice days in winter and do things like pick up the Christmas tree with them so they do get used. But I put a can in each car in November and if I have to fill up over the winter from use I just drop in another can.

12. Blue31Coupe

Blue31Coupe

I use the Marine Sta-Bil in my less driven cars all year round. Supposed to work better in high moisture conditions, such as being by the water. Found out the hard way in the boat that this alcohol gas mixture and moisture don't mix well. Been using it ever since without a problem.

13. Fireball Five

Fireball Five

When using Sta-Bil,be sure to operate long enough to get treatment into carburators. With atmospheric [float type] carbs this and many jets and passages is where problems start. Our automotive gasoline has a damn short shelf life and a different formulation summer and winter, so don't expect your engine to start and perform well if you fire up in cold weather with summer fuel on board. [if geographically applicable.]
    I have never used Sta-Bil. For storage, I prefer to drain tanks and dump in some 100LL aviation fuel. Good for years.
    Fireball 5

5window, egads and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I don't use anything.. Just try and start the cars and let them run till they heat up 3 or 4 times a winter.. All the lawn equipment I drain the gas out... Has always worked for me but now that I said that I'll surely have problems this spring....

15. staying away from gas with ethanol in it will help prevent problems

egads and sidevalve8ba like this.
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Another video test from the Project Farmer dude:

There may be more on fuel additives on his channel, there's a bunch of stuff.

egads likes this.
  17. Fortunately we get to drive year round, so I have never had to use one. HRP

mikhett, rockable and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. BigChief

BigChief

Sta-Bil Marine or the new fancy pants Sta-Bil 360....in everything except my daily drivers year round. Been using the old school red Stabil forever in my cars over the long cold WNY winters with no issues ever.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. I actually don't use fuel stabilizer very often but I have been known to use StaBil in the lawn mowers.

20. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

Good stuff

Attached Files:

21. Bigger picture........... KIMG0788.jpg

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  22. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Burn only premium none ethanol gas the last two tanks before winter storage, then treat with Sta-bil, also remove a bottom bowl screw on Holley carbs to drain, then squirt some WD-40 or Sta-bil spray into the screw hole to mist the inside of the bowl. Saves a lot of trouble in spring.
    Use Sea-foam in the daily drivers to keep injectors clean.;)

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Everything I have gets a shot of Sea-Foam periodically. Probably not often enough, that stuff is kinda expensive! But it works!

Bones

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Star-tron and Sta-bil.......I use some with every fill up. Have not had a problem with ethanol and rubber for 7 years. Carbs are 1953 WCFB's .......In So Cal "storage" means Monday thru Thursday...

25. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

CAM 2 Purple ( leaded ) ......112 Octane

Cleans your sinuses and eyes water.....Oh yea.

Jet A 100 ( lean) close 2nd but it’s dry so you have to add a valve lubricant.

You use to able to get Jet A 130 (rich)
    ( those were the days)
    but Jet engines are much more thrust efficient now so most are JET A 100.

Tickety Boo and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. ............Is this what you would find at a typical small municipal airfield, Cob. There's one near me and I keep thinking about going there and seeing if they will sell me 5 gallons.

lothianwilly71 and Tickety Boo like this.
  27. indyjps

indyjps

Most airports have restrictions, ask cautiously. Been using stabil in all the lawn equipment year round, drain and run dry in the winter. I just buy a gallon at a time any more for equipment, dump it in the truck and refill once a month. Mowers etc have been in tip top shape since.
    None of my old cars run :mad: so its not a concern currently.
    Ill probably switch to seafoam when this jug of stabil runs out.

28. Fireball Five

Fireball Five

Add on to fuel thoughts.. Never use "gasahol " in 2 cycle engines. It leans the mixture and as a good solvent tends to wash the slim oil film off ball and needle bearings. As a former ATV and Snowmobile dealer, buyers were warned not to. Any 2 cycle engine that came in for warranty [always burned pistons] that tested for alcohol in the fuel were denied. Now most all are 4 cycle and fuel injected so problem is less.
    Re: Avgas, most small airports will sell it by the can if red and marked Our local dealer puts the used bikes to bed in the fall and the sleds in the spring with 100 LL avgas.
    Small 2 cycle engines with diaphram carbs [non atmospheric] are not as susceptable to wet fuel storage. I just dunp the fuel tanks and fuel up fresh when needed .
    Fireball 5

29. 20 years ago, when we were drag racing, I had a 10.5 to 1 383 Chevy and we used to use 100LL avgas. I’ve heard that they won’t sell it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fireball Five likes this.
  30. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I live close to a couple of refineries and had the pleasure to talking to a chemical engineer over a beer several years ago. I was complaining about fuel quality as it related to motorcycles and winter storage and mentioned Sta-bil. He informed me that it was an OK product for short term (3-6 months) but for longer term storage he recommended this:
    https://priproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/2015-PRI-G-Flyer.pdf
    I've used nothing else since then and have had zero fuel issues. Just one guy's opinion, of course.