Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods how about schooling me on clutch cans!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rd martin, Jan 7, 2019.

1. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

working on a project, that was started with a Lakewood clutch can, only have the can, have some questions, looking for the parts to finish it behind an early hemi. what can ya tell me. thanks for any input. rich

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

might help to know which Lakewood housing it is?

3. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

dam jim you had to ask me that, I will look for numbers on it, im not sure.it is a can.

4. Fordors

Fordors

Are you inquiring about a can for a balls out race effort? Like a direct drive car, or maybe with a Lenco in an Altered or something?

5. a scatter shield is very different from what is called a clutch can. a scatter shield has two parts a block saver and the bell housing. what most call a clutch can has all the parts mentioned above along with a candle stick. the cans come in different lengths usually 8 1/8 is the norm. modern can are made out of titanium and require regular certification if its going in a nitro car. the old steel housings don't need the cert if its going in a street car or slower drag car. a pic would be most helpful. a small block mopar bell will fit a early hemi.

egads and vtx1800 like this.
  6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

will post some pics tomorrow, this car is a cackle car, that's been put together by someone else, a good friend has passed and im thinking about finishing out the car. its an early hemi, with a aluminum clutch can mounted to it, a Lakewood. only the can ,no other parts there. somebody made a steel midplate, and it appears everything is in alignment to use the can. I have a lot of exp with scatter shields, not clutch cans. will post up pics tomorrow. basically looking for parts for the can. appreciate any info on parts. never had one.

Attached Files:

Hollywood-East and 40ragtopdown like this.
  7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

8. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

ok heres some pics cant read number on can, will get number tomorrow. anybody tell me anything? parts still avalible?

Attached Files:

9. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

1 more

Attached Files:

10. I knew your friend from Michigan. Cool guy with a cool collection. I saw it only once. There's really not much to them. Usually a can; block saver; fork with cross shaft and maybe a candle stick if your using a multi disc clutch. Newer cans have a steel liner on the inside. If it's just a cackle car I wouldn't go with a expensive titanium can.

11. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

You need : a cross shaft , an early Ford clutch fork , a candle stick ( early Ford transmission / throw out bearing snout ) , early Ford throw out bearing & the part it presses on to , & a bearing retainer + a high gear shaft of the correct length.

12. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thanks guys. thanks pete, spoke with you at cali reunion, that car is beautiful!

13. Now I don't have to ask what a"candle stick"is.Learning is good.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. I would think with the era of your car it ran with a single clutch disc. That would use either a stock bell housing or a after market scattershield that works with stock parts. The cans came out later for multi disc clutches to provide more room for the additional floaters and discs.

15. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

yea, its in there and thinking about it. throught about a trans of some sort , but not a lot of room in there. we will see. was hoping somebody would have some parts I could use. any way I talked to you a bit brian at bowling green last year. wild coupe ya got there!

16. Thanks
    What did the car originally have in it?

17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

it was a hemi car. it ran a cad lasalle trans back in the day.it ran indy in early 60s, martin mich, and others in southern mich.