Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does your hot rodding challenge your sanity?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jmountainjr, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'Hammered my louvers out flat.
    Helluva lot easier to sand and paint.
    Yes, I am insane.

2. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

People still think I'm crazy for building a shop to put my 38 in. When I started building the envious people would ask "what you buy building that for?" I'd say awhh it's so I can have somewhere to put my old truck in. They'd say "that piece of junk? " Yep but it's my piece of junk. 20180829_124055.jpg 20181108_145654.jpg

51box, Kan Kustom, bobss396 and 7 others like this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I got a bunch of louver action rifles .. they please me greatly when autos fail to do the job.

4. My projects are my relaxation for the everyday world.

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Sometimes I question why I do things to my car that only I will ever notice. For example, did I really need to have a 5 1/2" wheel bolt pattern on my car behind those repro '50 Merc hubcaps?

Atwater Mike and Black_Sheep like this.
  6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I had to read was,
    "...sanding louvers..." Lol.
    I've said it before. Some of this hot rodding stuff...especially body and paint work...is some of the most physically taxing and patience-testing of any "art" I can think of. Like you have to be a hard-ass yet have a light touch and good eye at the same time. That is, if we want our stuff to look good. And we do. As you obviously do.
    Keep up the good work. :)
    Your fingerprints will grow back. :D

7. Latigo

Latigo

Heard tell that’s thirsty work. Stay hydrated

catdad49 likes this.
  8. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I think most people that think we are crazy are actually JEALOUS!!!!!!!

Elcohaulic, warhorseracing and slim38 like this.
  9. X-cpe

X-cpe

Challenge my sanity? Hell no! They are my mental therapy.

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

After being out of the old car hobby for many years while doing family things and getting kids educated, I thought I'd get back into it for relaxation from a stressful job. Trust me it hasn't always been the relaxation I thought it would be. Sometimes its pretty stressful getting these old parts to fit and to function the way you thought they would. I guess some of us handle stress better then others. Getting tired of those one hour jobs that actually take three hours.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    catdad49, Just Gary and olscrounger like this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

Gman, remember it's supposed to be a hobby. Hobby=Fun! My Dad always asked why I messed with old cars and I would say that it's my hobby. He said that none of his hobbies ever involved work!

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fuckin leaf blower dude always out during windiest day of the month. Sometimes I like to guess what’s inside that house that they see a hurricane and think “I’d better go battle the leafs”

13. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

On a windy day, once the leaves are airborne they might not land again until they've moved four miles. No need to control where the leaves go, as long as they don't stay on his property! ;)

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I tried playing golf. It drove me crazy. I went back to building and restoring cars. Do I get stressed occasionally? No, frustrated. But that passes....eventually. The satisfaction when I'm finished more than makes up for it.

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

No offense to the louver lovers, If thats what you like thats great but I do wander, Is part of the fascination with them, That someone is able to do that many without screwing up? to show a talent for bragging rights? A flex of a automotive art muscle? Honestly I do admire them for that reason but as far as the look, I cant say I care for them unless they are serving a function, cooling purpose.
    They are obviously cool to many,maybe even most however I guess I may not be seasoned or knowledgeable enough to appreciate them more???

G-son likes this.
  16. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Quit bragging!

17. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my case, I like the look but with the gas tank in the rumble area the louvers are functional as well.

low budget likes this.
  18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I'm around people all day. In my shop with my projects is how I retain my sanity!! Then again, I haven't ventured into the land of louvers..

19. I have to barrow a phrase about alcohol from Homer J Simpson. "Hot Rods, the cause and solution to all of life's problems!"

20. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Sanding louvers? I recall asking myself "what was I thinking?" more than once while working on the hood.

Working in the shop restores my sanity, while simultaneously causing my friends and neighbors to question it... 5A6109E2-88D5-4B0B-9A9F-C399B4C816F1.jpg

catdad49 likes this.
  21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know what you mean.
    But it's a lot of others these days who are insane.
    We're some of the only sane people left.

22. My "hotrodding" started out as soon as I had my drivers license, at that time, in those days of being a kid with little money, big dreams, and no real place to work on one, it would have been easy to question my sanity.
    Making minimum wage, buying a set of headers, new intake, carb, chassis component, etc. then installing them immediately, knowing good and well I had to complete the project (outside in the gravel driveway, all weather conditions) in time to go to school/work the next morning, and my only way to get there was my one and only car, I just disassembled.
    These days it has changed from insanity to sanity, as I have an area to work in, have the funds, and when/if something presents itself as a major obstacle, I can close the shop door, and walk away from it, allowing me to be stress free, and to regroup.
    My sanity from these cars/these days, derives from a sense of anticipation, accomplishment, and pride completing a project by myself, with my skills/tools, and knowledge I've gained from experience, and desire (albeit, I'm not churning out show cars, but driver quality cars).
    Oh, yeah I love my louvers on my '4o, and already have a louvered hood for my '41 project.

catdad49 likes this.
  23. Yup... and 1/2 of those nice new parts you made go into the junk bucket. Try to re-purpose the hardware... That was me and the clutch pedal linkage on my Ford. Heim joints, nice #8 hardware (stainless since I am OCD..), 3 machined iterations of clevises... in the end I used 1 heim joint and a threaded spacer. And 3 weekends...

catdad49 likes this.
  24. deucemac

deucemac

It's hot rods and race cars that give me sanctuary from all the screwy things going on in the world. Peace, serenity, and sanity are preserved while working on or driving my cars! AND, I don't mean those miserable jelly bean grey 4 door sedans everywhere!

25. mnjeff

mnjeff

louve this thread....

26. catdad49

catdad49

Sanity or Insanity, why would anyone spend a week (on and off) to get an old piece of metal ready to paint? It's only going to be a wall hanger to boot! IMG_1682.jpg

27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Pray tell :What is this "Sanity" thing you refer to?? & is it available for purchase somewhere?

28. catdad49

catdad49

Yes, but they have to run tests first!

29. Moselli

Moselli

I like louvers but I hate snakes....

30. It is the only thing that keeps my Sanity!
    Who did those louvers ? I love those rounded old style louvers!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.