Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects She's Dirty , but well rested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood remover, Dec 28, 2018.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That car is just to KOOL!! Regarding the brakes could a guy build some dust covers to hide most of the parts? When I built my 32 sedan I took. 46-8 ford backing plate and rolled a ring to look like a drum. My car is low so from the front it looks like I am running drums on front. Might not be so convincing on a car like yours though.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Sounds like a good reason to put 40 Ford drums on it.

The Volvo stuff is likely hard to find, expensive, and most if it is like most European cars overly complicated....

....and if drum brakes are so bad why do all over the road trucks still use them, and the air disc brakes of the early 80 never caught on?o_O:confused:

3. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

do they LOOK complicated?

loudbang likes this.
  4. Not complicated at all , but would like to service them and dont know what they are from ???
    Have searched and searched .
    Sure I can get them rebuilt by any caliper rebuilder , but like to do stuff on my own .
    Worse comes to worse I will put the 40 drums back on her .

loudbang likes this.
  5. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I just checked google images and didn't see any Volvo calipers with single attaching bolt, so I checked Saab too. Still nothing. Perhaps some of our European friends can help.
    Nothing to them but an o-ring and a boot, push the piston out with air or brake fluid and measure the bore. Probably a lot of caliper kits with the same rubber parts. If the pads are okay, you're good to go.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Found this today from Rod and Custom, June of 1970. Scan0804.jpg Scan0805.jpg

7. Interesting article , dont say much about what was used as a master or if a proportioning valve is used ??
    Mine is an early master , single , 40s .
    No proportioning valve or pressure valves .

loudbang likes this.
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Volvo did weird things with brakes in the 70's. like one set of lines went to the right front and left rear and the other went opposite, or some other crazy combination.

what bolt pattern are those hubs? my old Volvo had a tiny 5 lug bolt pattern... smaller than the small Ford or Mopar anyways.

very cool T. looks like you have T overload, which is a good thing.

loudbang likes this.
  9. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Volvo is 108 MM bolt pattern. They do not appear to be Volvo calipers. Volvo used Split dual master. Two fronts out from each, one to each front, then each master ran to one OPPOSITE rear. Each reservoir had 3 lines out. Lose one line, still have 75% braking power. ( both front, one rear). Think two overlapping triangles. See below.
    PS I'm not an artist either !! DSCN5071.JPG

49ratfink and loudbang like this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I knew it was some crazy combination. I tell you one thing anyone who wants a good old beater get a 70's Volvo. drove mine for 12 years

OLDTINPUSHER and Fabber McGee like this.
  11. Rotors are volvo , calipers are 78 chevette .

GuyW and loudbang like this.
  12. studebaker46

studebaker46

with the calipers being chevette should be able to go to any napa store and buy rebuild kits Tom

loudbang likes this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

What's 'overly complicated' about Volvo disc brakes??? Schwinn brakes have more moving parts!
    As for 'hiding' them, don't. They are small and fit right in with the T theme: aesthetically, that is. Most folks looking think they're 'some Model T brake, small...'
    We did use those on street roadsters in the '70s. Good little brake.

Dick Stevens and loudbang like this.
  14. I am going to give them a whirl , I remember the car stopping good when I was young and driving her.

I have some 42 and up front brakes I can change to if not happy with the disks

loudbang, jimgoetz and Hamtown Al like this.
  15. What a great car! That little 60 is perfect.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Ken Partch

Ken Partch

Here is mine. 1939 Ford V8-60 small cam, ported, head shaved, lightened flywheel, but looks 100 percent factory. IMG_2239.JPG IMG_2240.JPG IMG_2239.JPG [/ATTACH] fullsizeoutput_221f.jpeg [/ATTACH] [/ATTACH] fullsizeoutput_221f.jpeg VyxWYzMIQqe3OJoqwexX9A.jpg GdhB5y2IRd6NPdDRe5EHyA.jpg

17. Nice looking motor Ken !!!
    I need to pull my motor and repaint and clean it up as well ..
    I have a pair of eddie meyers heads and a 2 port intake as well , but the cam I have is just to big , offy cam from a race boat .Still on the watch for a mild cam .

loudbang likes this.
  18. Did you use a car or truck flywheel ? I use the truck flywheels , tough to find .

loudbang likes this.