Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I've been asked to spray Hotrod Flats any help?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bowlingball, Jan 6, 2019.

1. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

I do a bit of contract work on rods and customs to help pay the bills at home, I've recently been asked to finish a rod in Hotrod flats Carnival red pearl,,, I paint ok and am used to urethanes due to my job in aviation,,,, I'd like to hear from those that have experienced Hotrod flats paint , and it's pros and cons, it's not for my car and I don't want people bad mouthing a product , just constructive criticism if any ,,,all comments would be greatly appreciated, I'm going to paint it and I am well used to 3 part systems,,, would just like to shortcut any perceived probs ,,, because I'm used to acrylic and 2k which I know I can cut and polish,,many thanks ...... Rooster

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

I cant see your little bitty avatar good enough to see what it is. Tell us about it

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

8AD954DB-DEDC-41B9-8700-6A689185D544.jpeg

Here is a better look at his avitar and more importantly a bump to the top to try to get some answers to his questions.

bowlingball likes this.
  4. jazz1

jazz1

Don't. If you want a flat finish get paint shop to mix you some custom flat with a quality product. Hot Rod Flatz is very low quality paint that marks easily, just don't. Been there done it.

Elcohaulic, bowlingball and belair like this.

5. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I've used it once about 10 years ago. It was pretty straight forward and i had no issues. I wouldn't plan on being able to cut and buff it though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. We shot this in Hotrod Flatz carnival red about 2 years ago. Just follow the directions and if you have sprayed metallic before you will be fine[​IMG]

7. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

Nice COE .Don't see many dodges..I like the color.

hotrob32 likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spray it all of the time. I can say, having used everything from the most expensive paint systems, to the cheapest, the only people criticizing this system have not actually used it, or used it incorrectly.

Not everyone who claims that they know what they are doing actually does.

Follow the prep, mixture, and temperature instruction, to the letter. Make sure that your color is fully mixed in the can. All products settle. These products do.

I have it on about a dozen customer cars, and on my daily. Every single panel that I install on very single vehicle, unless requested otherwise, gets sprayed in Hot Rod Flatz black, on the inside.

Many of the cars that I have sprayed in this, over the years, live outside. Not a single one of them has had an issue.

Mine is a little scratched, but that is just because I live in a major city, and my neighbors park for shit. I am resigned to the fact that I have to have an annual hammer-out, and re-spray.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that thing is hella-tight!

hotrob32 likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is specifically contraindicated for this paint. It is not designed to do that.

You spray it, and leave it. They only reason to re-work the surface is in the event of a spraying error, or a repair.

11. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does not run, if your gun settings and travel speed are correct.

I got it to run once, when having a conversation with someone while spraying. It was not that hard to fix.

13. His avatar is a 1948-1952 Oz GM Holden FX series Ute, these were introduced in 1948 as both a 4dr sedan and the Ute, the design was based on a US GM prototype compact car design that was passed to Oz after the war, they used a baby version of the Chev engine at 132 cubes and 6 cylinders, even the front suspension was similar to the Chev version, in 1953 a revised model, the FJ Series came out with a new grille and trim but essentially the same car till it was superseded by the 1957 FE series, again sorta like a small Chev, albeit the 1955 version................andyd

14. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I shot it in a single stage, mint green and it went on like prime, turned out great, 100_3101.JPG

15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I want to use their blue, no pearl, or flake.

gimpyshotrods and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  16. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I used it on my Tudor. No problems spraying and it was the first time I used this paint and an HVLP gun.

No problems and the car came out fine, I’m more than happy with the product and color.

HRF1504 midnight blue.

Cliff Ramsdell
    F878953F-ABB3-413D-876E-FF30CF31D29F.jpeg 1608867A-7C84-46D6-9E3F-02CE61CE277C.jpeg 0EA16057-0379-4281-9817-83FECD3465D1.jpeg E91EF6C1-F3A3-4B05-8B2E-DD373A0E1F07.jpeg D79C2C40-9DB6-4D44-A7BD-F72FBB109AF1.jpeg 5BB00CA8-13C3-4DDF-95F6-186377B99CFE.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  17. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

Thanks looks great

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gimpyshotrods and hotrob32 like this.
  18. Thanks, carnival red was not my 1st choice but I'm sure glad that's what I went with. works perfect for my COE. My flames are gloss

Hombre, bowlingball and gimpyshotrods like this.
  19. sdroadster

sdroadster

Very durable paint. Don't thin it much, and let it flash between coats, or it will solvent pop. Follow the instructions. The manufacture can mix colors. Our Studebaker is a Corvette yellow matt finish. It's been on the car for 9 years. DSC02228[1].JPG

bowlingball, -Brent-, Hombre and 5 others like this.
  20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Someone was looking for a yellow a while back on here and I suggested a matte yellow but couldnt find a on topic pic, but there it is...Any close ups?

..also I must admit my attention was drawn to the ute avatar, I thought it was a custom 47 to first series 55 GM truck with 49 to 52ish car quarters:cool:

Sorry for straying but carry on...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    bowlingball likes this.
  21. BJR

BJR

The only reason I can see to use flat paint on a car or truck is that your bodywork is crap. No reason at all to put flat paint on a good straight body. :D

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The idea of a flat finish is new to me, and does seem kinda counterproductive, but I gotta say the ones in this thread look great! Let's see more.

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  23. Another expert. How many cars have you painted? I've painted hundreds, and the thought of color sanding and buffing one more makes me suicidal!:(
    The next one will be flat....

24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

The OP is painting a customer car with a customer requested paint.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's almost like some folks do not understand customer service.

26. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

We never use flat paint but instead add a flattening agent to the clear. This truck is painted with GM Bright Red which knocks your eyeballs out when regular clear is used but looks like this with clear/flattener.

Mikes bed 001.JPG

jimgoetz, jazz1, -Brent- and 3 others like this.
  27. BJR

BJR

I have painted hundreds also.:)

28. manyolcars

manyolcars

No wonder I couldnt tell what it is! Thank you

29. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I used flat paint because I’m no body guy. It’s ok but not shiny car straight. Second, I hate to wash and clean. Maintain and enjoy, that’s my motto.

My favorite OT vehicle shovel head was a kick and go bike that never got washed.

Cliff Ramsdell

jim snow and blowby like this.
  30. badvolvo

badvolvo

I used it, absolutely hated it, should have left it in primer. Went back to the paint cabinet and pulled out some clear, made it shiny. I don't recall the color names, but they were both metallic and pearl. As I said, looked alot like primer. The shiny clear really brought out the metallic and pearl. Very pleased now and has held up well for about 7 years now.