Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scratch built Crosley Special

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1952B3b23, Jan 5, 2019.

1. So cool! The entire car is a work of art. I'll bet that engine sounds wild!

osage orange and 1952B3b23 like this.
  2. esrbuilders

esrbuilders

Awesome very nice!

osage orange and 1952B3b23 like this.
  3. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

So are we to believe that the block, sump, head, crankshaft, cam, valve cover plus misc. parts are all newly fabricated parts?

osage orange likes this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

To add some the engines I think are mounted nose to nose, cranks joined at the splines that the tower shaft and dist/oil pump drive gears are on, thus the mag drive..Possibly driving both cams with the one tower shaft..The spline areas are not the strong suit to handle power transfer from front crank to rear crank but builder probably beefed the area up..I have read that the tower shaft is pressed into the drive gear only and should be welded to handle increased two-cam loading...What a build; really cool thinking!!!!

5. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

I also would love to hear it run! just wonder about rpm, those things scream as a single 4 cyl engine! lots of thinking on that deal! my head hurts!

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Awesome. Time to go watch some old video of Fangio at Monte Carlo. That tank is beatiful, I'll be impatiently waiting for updates.

osage orange likes this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are craftsmen who can actually weld it all together and machine as needed to make one. Saw an article years ago about a V-12 made from 2 small-block Chevys.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. sdluck

sdluck

Are these twin 850 cc,so it is a 1700 cc .

9. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Original displacement for Crosley was 44cu in, but I have no dimensions(bore/stroke) for this engine!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Holy shit!!

Nostrebor and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Also want more on the engine build.

12. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very talented Individual , bet he doesn't set around in front of a tv much . Thank you for sharing . Looking forward for more information about his building of the car parts . Also your metal work.
    Herb Ottoway of Wichita Ks took 2 Indian 4 blocks , cut off the front cylinder of one block and the rear cylinder off the other one , welded them together making a 6 cylinder engine . He had a crank made for it . He called his bike the Super Chief.

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Crosley @ 44 cu in is 2.5 bore x 2.250 stroke..Some post Crosley [Fageol/Crofton] may have had a 2.750 bore for 53 cu in...Homelite/Bearcat [last generation] @ 59 cu in is bore 2.750 x 2.500 stroke...

14. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Well this one wasn’t built with a VISA card and a Summit catalog. Good on you guys!

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Think of a freight train. Or two guys pushing the same car. One big guy and one smaller. Thy both put in what they have. Nobody takes out.

chryslerfan55, scott27, brEad and 8 others like this.
  16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is poetry, just beautiful. Somebody should make this their signature. ^^^
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

17. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Seb Fontana: I know what the production Bore/Stroke numbers were, but was wondering what THIS engine was, that's my question. Until we are able to get more info on this build it's a good question. I really hope some pictures were taken during the engine build!!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

19. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Great project. RichFox is correct. Think of a 153 4 cyl turned into a 230 6cyl.
    Pete

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Saw it on the Specials thread, Thanks. I'd love to hear the thing, I bet it sings.
    In 1959 my dad was taking me around the Feather River country where he spent most of the depression after riding a freight train from Texas. He introduced me to an old guy who ran a "shop" His dad started it as a blacksmith shop and foundry back in the gold rush days and it became a machine shop over time. Any way he showed me a V8 that he had made from two Model A engines. It was in some old truck they used to haul ore to a crusher/mill. I took pictures with my Brownie but have no idea where they are. So glad things like this get built and documented.

21. So how are the engines mated- I can see that the oilpan looks like one cast piece, but are the two cranks sleeved together, new crank, etc?

This is a fantastic build, and has my mind spinning/buzzing with all kids of horrible ideas :)

Just for fun, here's another one of my favorite Crosley modified engines;

[​IMG]

22. I still haven’t gotten a chance to talk to Bob to see how they’re exactly connected together. I did snap a few more pictures of the bottom of the engine. Also one of where the mag enters the block. I think someone had asked about it earlier in the thread.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Instagram: @39_deluxe

23. Chris,

Thanks for the extra pics- looking forward to hearing what he did to mate the two cranks!... and the off-white paint, casting numbers, etc scream of Homlite blocks, so he's up to a whopping 118ci of high-revving fun :D

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 1952B3b23 like this.
  24. Aren't those motorcycle carbs? Maybe Mikunis?

loudbang likes this.
  25. Yea I believe they are.

Instagram: @39_deluxe

loudbang likes this.
  26. pumpman

pumpman

Holy hand job Batman!! This thing is like a Swiss watch, absolutely outstanding. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the body.

27. cederholm

cederholm

DAMN!!! that's beautiful!

~ Carl

loudbang and 1952B3b23 like this.
  28. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

29. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the risk of high jacking this thread. I have a friend trying to find rod bearings for a Crosley two cylinder engine. Anyone have or know where to get them?
    Thanks, Gene.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  30. Has this engine run? I'd love to hear it.

loudbang and SR100 like this.