Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to wire a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roys40, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Roys40

Roys40

Can anyone give me a schematic to wire my 6v 40 ford to start? I just want to make a temporary harness to be able to start the car and move it while I save for an nos harness. I do not want to open the original harness and trace the ignition and charging wires I think I that this diagram would work but need to mak sure[​IMG] need to know how to wire the generator up though

I don’t know everything but I sure want to learn everything

2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

3. alchemy

alchemy

I don't have a diagram for you, but I do have a recommendation. Don't buy a true NOS wiring harness. If it is really over 75 years old those wires will be past their lifespan, even if they never saw the light of day. Buy a reproduction made with fresh materials.

4. But will his diagram work?Looks simple enough.

5. Roys40

Roys40

I have the ford v8 reference book and rebuild book but I need to know from ignition switch the battery wire would go straight to the start solenoid or battery or would it need to go through the regulator? From ignition switch does the coils wire go to the resistor then straight to the ignition oil or regulator to coil? And the generator I’m not real sure how it goes

6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

The only thing wrong with your diagram is that the wire from the ignition switch to the coil is bypassing the ignition resistor which is located under the dash in the upper left hand side of the firewall. If you don't run the resistor, the coil will get hot after awhile.

7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

8. 24riverview

24riverview

To me this ^^^^ kind of depends on what you hope to do with this, just move it around in garage, very brief run time? I wouldn't worry about resistor or generator. Longer run time I would add those parts.
    Ford guys, correct me if I've screwed this up.
    0e738626583eef42c85d2b27b23bf095.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    warhorseracing likes this.
  9. If you just want to start it to move it around the garage you just need; switched power to the coil (toggle switch) and a jumper wire with a push button momentary switch to kick in the starter. Can't be any simpler than that. Positive ground on the 6 Volt battery.

10. 24riverview

24riverview

Exactly, I keep a couple of these around for just that purpose. Usually I find a old short piece of radiator hose I can push the 2 switches into tightly that offers some protection for the terminals.
    Just remember on yours the momentary start button needs to make a connection between the starter relay and ground.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

Just to move it I'd not worry about the generator.

12. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

Disconnect all wires from the solenoid, but leave starter cables on, use a remote starter. remove the wire off the coil but leave the one going to the distibuter, use a hot wire off the battery for power to the coil. Disconnect the wires off the generator and use a jumper on the thermals. This way no electricity is going through the harness.

13. leon bee

leon bee

You don't even need a starter button, use that Echlin solenoid with the push button on the bottom of it.

14. leon bee

leon bee

And wire cutters in your pocket for a kill switch.

15. classiccarjack and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am betting by now you are sorry you asked.........:confused:

17. Roys40

Roys40

Lol I removed the old harness ran a wire from solenoid to the ignition switch battery side as well as to the battery terminal in the regulator, then ran a wire from solenoid to the push button, ran a wire from ignition switch coil side to the resistor, then from resistor to the 6v coil which is jimmy rigged lol coil mounted to the generator bracket with a stubby plug wire ran to the cap, I also ran the generator wires from field and armature to the regulator and that should be the entire charging and ignition circuits correct? There was a 12v coil with a condenser on it but I shouldn’t need a condenser with a 6v coil should I? As soon as I get a chance I’ll post pics and draw out a diagram of what I did. And the last thing is my dad broke the spring off the distributor cap that goes to the points, is that replaceable or am I now gonna have to hunt for a new cap?

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A condensor (correctly called a capacitor) is used regardless of voltage. In brief, the condensor 'looks like' a lower resistance path to the electric flow when the points begin to open (and resistance increases) and prevents and/or minimizes point arcing and prolongs point life.

Roys40 likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Do the tires hold air? If so just roll it to were you want it, I'm 68 years old and rolled a Buick Rivera all by my self last week, lot faster than wiring crap. Bob

20. Roys40

Roys40

I can roll it all over the shop no problems lol I’m 31 and could roll it to wherever I move to if my wife ends up with the house when our divorce is final but I would much rather be able to drive it up on my trailer instead of trying to push it up there by myself

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sorry to hear you are going through the D but if you have to leave buy yourself a present and get a winch for your trailer.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The winch will always be there. You hld the remote in one hand and a beer in the other.:)

Roys40 and Hnstray like this.
  23. Roys40

Roys40

That’s true! I’ll have to buy one now lol

24. Roys40

Roys40

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. With no water in it do not even worry about it charging. You don't even want to overheat it.

26. brake1000

brake1000
    from ID

Early Flatheads have a different kind of coil that bolts on top of the dizzy, it won't run without it.

27. Roys40

Roys40

I have the coil installed and corrected the ignition coil to resistor and condenser as well as the ignition switch to circuit breaker and regulator