Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Homebuilt quickchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jethro, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

qc.JPG qc1.JPG Thanks fellas. I will try the local welding supply. Here is why I am asking.....
    I will start a thread on it when I finish. Its an old model a Banjo I had laying around. Thanks again for the inspiration

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

3. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

The axle tubes on my narrowed 10 bolt started to seep oil after 5 years of service. When I built the rear end I pressed the old tubes out, shortened them the proper amount and pressed them back in and welded them in the GM plug weld holes. An attempt to weld them only cracked. I had some stainless rod and thought I'm not out anything. This has worked for the last 14,000 miles and no sign of cracking. It was done with a tig and produced some really amazing looking welds and stopped the seeping out of the joint. I have since bought some bronze tig rod but haven't had a opportunity to try it out on anything similar.
    Greg

4. Alger

Alger
    from Sacto

I have a banjo sitting on my work bench, hopefully I'll get started on it in the next month or so. Jethro your writeup has been inspirational for getting me started on this, I appreciate all the information you've provided so far.

5. 55willys

55willys

Any updates? I know what it is to have life and other projects sideline you.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not really but sort of. I've been trying to come up with a good design for a cover like the Speed Demon but I'm having trouble making the cover and housing as one. Along the casting route I've been trying to build an oil burner to use up some of my waste oil. I fired it up the other day and it worked pretty good. Melted the aluminum faster than using the propane tiger torch. I Poured a couple dozen alloy muffins. Still working out a cover design....I'm wasting a lot of MDF in the process......maybe I should make an MDF burner to melt aluminum.

brEad likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

MDF
    That's some pretty amazing material!
    Applications for it are (nearly) endless.
    Can you imagine all the old growth timber Halibrand (and others) wasted over the years making molds.

Outback likes this.
  8. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, I'm back at this thing that has been hanging over my head. It's a project that has stumped me and the anxiety of not knowing how to proceed has given me well , anxiety. So I started to do a little sand casting and I have had some failures as well as some good results. The failures are education, I've learned a few things from my mistakes. I was going to make a rear cover and housing as one piece but instead I am making a more traditional style with the housing and cover separate from each other. I have only just got the patterns made and still have to make flasks to cast them in.
    I can't believe it's been 6 years since I started this....sheesh! QC - 1.jpg QC - 1 (1).jpg QC - 1 (2).jpg QC - 1 (4).jpg QC - 1 (3).jpg

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow
    Nice work, and I know less than .02 about casting but I'm a retired machinist and I'll just say don't cast more than one set before the outcome of the prototype machining says to move forward. If you have machining capability and/or know a good machinist that can check finished dimensions and walk you through it I'm thinking you're on your way.

10. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Denny! , yeah prototyping is going to see lots of castings going back in the pot. I'm making this up as I go , so
    cast , trim , measure , machine , assemble , disassemble , re machine , remeasure , re machine , throw away mistakes , recast , retrim , remeasure , remachine.. ......on and on until it's right. Might be another 6 years before it turns a wheel.

11. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just dug this out of the sand. Trimmed and cleaned off , I still have to machine and measure. Don't ask me how my morning went. Anyone who has poured concrete knows what a "blowout" is and how much of a pain in the ass it is. When it happens with aluminum , 1300 degree liquid metal goes everywhere and starts little fires and makes your shop floor have tiny explosions:eek: P1010016.jpg P1010018.jpg

Outback, Tman, 55willys and 6 others like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Subscribed.

brEad likes this.
  13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Me 2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Jethro damn, weld spatter is bad enough, can't imagine how hectic it can get dealing with liquid aluminum splattering everywhere. I hope it didn't get into your boots!

15. alchemy

alchemy

Are you going to heat treat the aluminum? When I made a new rear cover for a quickchange I had it heat treated to T6 before machining. I don't know if it was needed, I just did it because all the other highstrength parts are treated like that. I haven't run the part yet so I don't have any on-the-road reports.

16. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably not going to heat treat partly because I don't know how and the castings are extra beefy so there shouldn't be any strength issues. The pieces that I've made so far seem plenty strong. When breaking up the old castings to go back in the pot they take some pretty good hits before breaking apart. Not scientific but if they can take direct hits, some thrust or radial stress should be ok.....we'll see!

TheTumbleweeds likes this.
  17. patsurf

patsurf

i sure wish you were my neighbor!!-you are an ingenious guy!!

Outback and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Did you heat treat the lower input shaft?

19. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't done that either. I machined the shaft from a 9inch axle shaft which was induction hardened. I'll have to research it before I ruin my work. Funny, I'm willing to thrash this thing to see what it will take but I'm a bit hesitant to ruin it by heat treating. I guess I'm a little "gun shy" after ruining a few knife blades from heat treating.

Outback likes this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

I sent my aluminum casting out to a heat treatment place for the work. I don't remember what it cost, but it only took a few weeks from my schedule. I figured if my bearings came loose in the rear cover it would ruin a lot more than just the cover. Like buying insurance.

rod1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When the time comes for machining the bearing bores use a boring bit with a 1/32" RADIUS (min.) on the point, should cut down the chance of "stress risers" there.

kidcampbell71, rpm56 and pitman like this.
  22. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Denny!....that's the kind of stuff I need to know

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If the bearing does not press in clear to the bottom of the bore the tool radius could easily be doubled.

24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Great work and innovation.
    I'm sure it won't take the next inspired hot rodder anything like 6 years to get one of these done,
    Looking at your pic's and detailed explanations I figure I could be convinced to have a go at one in the future.
    Well done.

What axles are you using or did I miss that bit...

25. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outback and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I still think this thread is as cool now as the first time I read through it all those years ago.

Keep at it, man!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

rod1, Outback and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man! it's something thats been bugging me for a long time. I'm glad I'm back at it.

Outback likes this.
  28. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Things are starting to come together.... QC2 - 1 (3).jpg QC2 - 1 (4).jpg QC2 - 1 (5).jpg QC2 - 1 (6).jpg QC2 - 1 (8).jpg QC2 - 1.jpg QC2 - 1 (1).jpg QC2 - 1 (2).jpg

Outback, 55willys, Nostrebor and 9 others like this.
  29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I've looked at a lot of rear ends in my lifetime, and that's one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen.
    Still want to put in my book, which I have been working on longer than you have been making that one.

Great Job!!!

Bruce

rod1, Outback, Tman and 2 others like this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Looks great, were you able to do the machining yourself or did you farm it out?