Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scratch built Crosley Special

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1952B3b23, Jan 5, 2019.

1. My good friend Bob built this Crosley special from the ground up. His inspiration is the early single seat Maserati racers from back in the day. The engine is a straight 8 Crosley. Bob took two 4 cylinder engines and mated them together. The rear end is a VW transaxle and it has independent front suspension. He is no doubt a mechanical wizard.

Bob asked me to build an all aluminum body for it since he isn’t into metal shaping. I gladly agreed. So for about a week now I’ve been working on the wireform which defines the body shape. I pretty much have the tail section done and am now working on the belly pan wires. I’ll be chronicling the build here and on Instagram. Thanks for following along.

Chris

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Instagram: @39_deluxe

2. Sporty45

Sporty45

I'm in for the ride. I'd love to see how he built the motor. Looks like fun! :cool:

3. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

That is fantastic. The body build will be very interesting, and I hope Bob will offer some detail on that engine build also.

4. Thanks guys. I’ll get more details on how he mated the engines. Possibly even some pictures if he took any.

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

6. Looking good!!
    More on , well, More on EVERYTHING !!
    Pics, words, c’mon .... this is like one of those click bait web sites !:eek:

7. koolbeans

koolbeans

osage orange and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. tractorguy

tractorguy

WOW......me too.....how did he do the engine ?

osage orange likes this.
  9. THAT .... is what makes this place stupendous. Keep posting please.

10. That's bitchin' !

osage orange likes this.
  11. Ya'll are both good at your craft's.Keep it going.

osage orange likes this.
  12. upspirate

upspirate

13. catdad49

catdad49

You shouldn't have told anyone about the engine, could have played stump the HAMB! This is going to be Grand (Prix)! Subscribed.

14. PugetDude

PugetDude

THIS is going to be a great thread!

osage orange likes this.
  15. goldmountain

goldmountain

This thing is incredible. Is there anything on this car that isn't handmade?

osage orange and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

WOW!! I can't wait to watch this unfold.

osage orange likes this.
  17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always wondered when mating up two engines this way do you gain anything over the original 4 cylinder? Aren't you constrained by the power and torque limits that are normal to the 4 cylinder engine (hopping up aside) or do you end up with twice the horsepower and torque? Not being a smart ass just wondered.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and osage orange like this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Image-19.JPG
    Pretty cool,I guess he has not got around too building rear shocks? I love Crosley's anyway,so had too look ! Love the custom brakes too!
    By the way,his custom upper water hose/line/tube has a hump around the mag,that's not smart,as it should of been off the block up a little an then run straight{picking up next out let as it goes foreword=no hump for air/steam pocket=better cooling.
    This photo I added is of one Dad an I built, Crosley powered SCCA H-Mod back in the mid 1950s.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  19. Most of the nuts and bolts aren’t lol. Just about everything else is.

20. I will get more details from Bob the next time I talk to him. For now here are some more close up pictures. I’m pretty sure he had the wheels made in England. For the brake drums, he made wooden patterns and had them cast at a local foundry then machined them afterword. The gas tank is handmade from aluminum.

Thanks for all the positive responses. I’m glad people are enjoying it. It’s too damn cool not to share.

-Chris

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

oj, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 19 others like this.
  21. That thing is fantastic- please keep us up to date with your biddy's progress!
    Hmmm, I 've got a pair of 59ci Homlite engines kicking around- hmmmm :D

tractorguy and 1952B3b23 like this.
  22. I’ve never even thought about that. But good question. Off the top of my head I think you would be limited to the 4 cylinders original power. He basically built this to see if it could be done, and he did it.

23. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since Crosleys are SOHC, how is he driving that magneto? The old memory glands kicked in and I thought I would include this other Crosley 8. Scan-190105-0001.jpg

24. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Extremely cool car, looking forward to watching your tin work come together...on the engine, I believe you have twice the power with two four cylinder engines....it has become a straight 8 ...

osage orange, brEad and 1952B3b23 like this.
  25. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Very cool. Workmanship 1st. class. A very ambitious work of art. Any idea what it will weigh?

osage orange likes this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2!!!
    When I die and they ask me...
    "Well, how was it?"
    I'm gonna be like...
    "I was on the Hamb. I've seen things, man."

rod1, chryslerfan55, Tman and 17 others like this.
  27. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Mac, if you can't think of anything to do with those 2 Homelites, I've often thought about a Bantam based Crosley 8 powered mini Duesenberg SSJ.

osage orange likes this.
  28. That would be AWESOME!... of course, you'd have to make a DOHC conversion for that 8...

[​IMG]

29. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

For an answer to a question about the mag drive: based on where he's located the mag, I'd suggest he's using the location on the second crankcase where the original distributor was installed(makes perfect sense to use an existing mount/location, & probably using the original gears to drive it as well). This "build" is so far beyond just "bitchin" that it would be like calling the NOVI "just another V-8"!! Besides: anybody who does "Crazy" things like this with/to Crosleys is ALL RIGHT!!! Now I'm waiting for Ned Ludd to jump in here!!!(PLEASE??)

osage orange likes this.
  30. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

King ford thanks. I hear what your saying about twice the power, but unless they are driving the two motors from a common crankshaft the front motor is limited as to what it can pass (add on) into the drive train by the 4 cylinder behind it. Logic says to me it can only be as powerful as the 4 cylinder hooked to the transmission. On the other hand with a common crankshaft it would for all intents and purposes be a straight 8 delivering all its power straight to the transmission. I have no experience or knowledge in this area so I figured I would ask.

chryslerfan55 likes this.