Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did I just buy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binderman01, Jan 2, 2019.

1. 41fred207

41fred207

I agree, it does look like 30 - 31 A cowl with the belt line "worked over". Also I can see the bead for the cowl band from the inside but not on the outside. Maybe just my crummy phone...

slv63 likes this.
  2. Binderman01

Binderman01

Almost positive it had 3 hinges, I'll take better pictures tonight for sure.

I think the back end is to short to be a Dodge. But the pictures will tell

Sent from my H1711 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Squablow

Squablow

This is bugging me, I look forward to seeing more pictures.

The cowl on a Plymouth PB coupe is mostly covered by the hood, like a 33/34 Ford, so if someone was going for a hoodless '32 Ford style, it would make sense that they would graft on the 30-31 Model A firewall/cowl section, the car does look like it was modified to look like a 32 Ford 3W coupe, and honestly, it's not that far off.

New stamped '32 firewalls aren't all that expensive and might be a good fit into this body. I could envision this being really cool if it gets finished out properly.

jimgoetz likes this.
  4. If it’s not a dodge it has bits of dodge in it!
    From what’s been said it’s a pretty good “ Frankenstein “ creation!

Stand back, breath and have at it. Looks like you have a good attitude to take on this project

Even thou it’s a cobbled together fordogechevrochyslehupmobile- brothers , car
    It looks ok and has potential to be something.

Worst case get it together as is throw a small block in it with red rims and some spider webs and sell it to the rat rod folks ! ;)

brEad and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. Need better pics to make out any details. I don't see anything that looks mopar so far......and I own a '31 and a '34.

6. So we drove up town just to get the tags
    And I headed her right on down main drag
    I could hear everybody laughin' for blocks around
    But up there at the court house they didn't laugh
    'Cause to type it up it took the whole staff
    And when they got through the title weighed sixty pounds.
    I'd get it one piece at a time
    And it wouldn't cost me a dime
    You'll know it's me when I come through your town
    I'm gonna ride around in style
    I'm gonna drive everybody wild
    'Cause I'll have the only one there is around.

X-cpe, FlyingRN, Bechtel 56 and 3 others like this.
  7. It looks like a '32 Plymouth coupe with a '30-'31 Model A cowl
    [​IMG]

DosCoupe, Fordor Ron, brEad and 4 others like this.
  8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

flatford39 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. 5window

5window

Very true. But, at some point, the state is going to want proof of ownership, maybe some tax money, and whatever they require to title it now. Just saying I'd line up those ducks in a row before I put time and money into this project.

Sent from my moto g(6) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

raven likes this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

I vote for the '32 Plymouth PB coupe but heavily modified. Reminds me of a '32 five window that showed up in town bought from an ad elsewhere. No one had a clue. It was a '32 Hudson Terraplane coupe on a Model A frame.

11. junkman73

junkman73

What ever it is just build it!

12. Binderman01

Binderman01

People sweat titles to much. I could title it as a 42 Aston and not bat an eye.

The original work that had been done is excellent, the chop job is iffy, I'm guessing that was the next owner, the cowl body line is definitely home made, the top you can't tell was even filled. The back end is tweaked, but will pull out. The rear wheel well appears to be a Ford piece to me. I'm headed to my last job before I head home and grab more pics

13. Maybe you could title it as a Rolls-Canardly.

WC145 likes this.
  14. 5window

5window

Yep, well, you're new to the HAMB, even if you're an experienced builder. Even the tiniest search will turn up dozens of threads where guys spent time, money and sweat building a car they couldn't get titled. That's why titles increase the value of a project so much. So, good luck to your build. I,personally, have yet to see the person who sweated over a title too much, but plenty who should have paid a bit more attention. But it's your car and will be your experience.

egads, VANDENPLAS and Jalopy Joker like this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was intended to be in good humor that I said you bought yourself a lot of work, B. :)
    Good luck with your project.

16. You obviously don't live in Califorkya. You are blessed.

17. junkman73

junkman73

In Michigan you show receipts for the parts and it becomes an assembled vehicle.

18. gene-koning

gene-koning

Since, for the most part, it looks to be an assembly of parts, you get to call it what ever you want to call it. Who will have solid ground to dispute it?

I'd start with the title chase pretty early, figure out what you need to do the make your State happy. An Assembled Vehicle title might be the way to go. You will want to know what you will need to document as you progress. It would suck to have a finished product only to find out you can't use some of the parts because you don't have a paper trail of where the part came from. You do have a receipt for that flat head, right?

Then I would see how the doors fit the openings, and see how the trunk lid fits. Then you will need a frame and suspension as a place to begin your assembly.

You have an open canvas, build the car you always wanted. Its only time and money, but the health benefits are huge. Gene

Binderman01 likes this.
  19. Binderman01

Binderman01

I'm going to keep my eye out for basically any early 30s title, and document all aspects, I have zero concern over a title, my location is extremely lenient. If need be I should be able to get a builders title, but there's an old junk used not far with a guy that has a pile of old T's that would have something for me.

With that said, I'm just getting in and my phone camera was on the fritz here's what I was able to get, I have a frame as well, hopefully I'll be able to get some pics of it tomorrow, appears to be repop rails with a couple original crossmembers. The axle came with it, maybe it will help a little as well, also included a part number from the rumble seat hinges. IMG_20190103_223429.jpeg IMG_20190103_223713.jpeg IMG_20190103_223848.jpeg IMG_20190103_223926.jpeg IMG_20190103_223334.jpeg

Squablow and jimgoetz like this.
  20. ...what do you have?...a hot rod project;..who cares what it was, just fix it up and get another old car runnin...don't think it looks all that bad,...have fun.

warhorseracing likes this.
  21. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Well that's a ford axle and brakes for sure and I agree with you about the title. Looks like a cool project if your up to it. Somebody sure liked to weld.

22. Agreed. You may not be a stylist and neither am I nor are very many of the guys on here advising you of what is wrong. They do know what looks right and can probably make it look right, some maybe not make the looks but they still know. My opinion, since everyone has one. Build it to the best of your capabilities and enjoy it. If you have an interest in it then go for it. I don't care for a chevie engine in a Ford but some people don't have the capabilities to engineer the installation of a correct engine in a manufacturers vehicle or don't care. Whatever it is they have they are still proud of what they have accomplished. By that I mean what they have built with their own two hands or worked to buy if they have the wherewithal to do so. Me, I like working on them, doing the best I can do, doing everything myself, turning the wrenches and bringing a pile of something to life. You bought it. You apparently saw something in it that you like. Expand on that, whatever it is and complete it then drive it with pride that you did it. No matter if it never will be a show car from your hands but a safe and reliable vehicle. Do you think Henry was thinking "style" when he brought the Model T to fruition and kept producing it for 20+ years. Enough old man rant, time for me to go to the garage.;)

bigheadbaxter likes this.
  23. spanners

spanners

Or you could go the other way. Bang it together and insert large, blown whatever engine takes your fancy, head to the nearest 'strip and have some fun.

24. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

And this is only one of the several things you could do with this even if you never even tried to title it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. Binderman01

Binderman01

Well, after a few good night's of digging, I think part of the mystery is over, I believe the whole body is 30/31, from evidence from the rear wheel well, and the cowl/hood hinge area. The top however is anyones guess as to what or how. I'm gonna try and hang a door to see if I have a remote chance of them working, but now that I think I have an id on the body I can try a set of a doors as well.

I think someone was trying to reproduce Henry's 3 window a concept. Screenshot_20190104-212342.jpeg IMG_20190102_203121.jpeg Screenshot_20190104-215102.jpeg Screenshot_20190105-065003.jpeg

26. The door openings have been lengthened and reshaped, note how they are cut back into the 1/4 farther than stock. Stock A doors would take a ton of work to fit on there. Have you tried to fit the doors that came with it?
    I agree the top is pieced together to make a 3 window.
    This can be a cool coupe with vision and determination!

Budget36, Binderman01 and brEad like this.
  27. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

This makes a cool rod it keeps people guessing on what it is. I think thats what alot of us go for in not having a cookie cutter. I like that your keeping the flathead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

You got an "ODGE" you got the D when you bought it

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

The surface area between top belt line and trunk opening looks similar to a mopar but perhaps a model a was used from belt line down my guess is your going to find model a parts mixed with 32 mopar and fresh sheet metal

jimgoetz likes this.
  30. and remember...................
    1 (15).jpg