Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What car part have you just given away in the past that is now worth a fortune?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Dec 14, 2018.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not exactly gave away, but I ended up not having it and getting no money. When I was in high school in the late fifties, I decided I wanted a '36 3-window after seeing Bill Block's car in the little magazines (the original version, not the hideous custom he later turned it into). That desire lasted most of my life, and about 1970. I found a complete roller '35 3-window, no engine or trans, but a real good body and nice fenders. It even had decent running boards. I bought it (for $125 I think). At that time, I was married to a gal who was the manager of a new 312 unit apartment complex. Each unit had a garage, and since the place was only half-rented, I had an easy, free place to store the car. I put into one of the empty garages and went about my business. As things happened, that marriage went the way of all good things. During the divorce (I had moved out of our apartment), I went back to check on my car and found the garage locked. I asked my soon-to-be ex-wife if she would let me have the key to the garage, but she was very uncooperative. I returned a couple of more times, the last time with the intention of breaking in, if I had to. That time, the garage was unlocked, and, you guessed it, the car was gone. When I asked her what happened, she said she had no idea. I don't know if she knew or not, but the car was gone. Over 20 years later, I was finally able to realize my dream and finally finish a '36 3-window, but that's another story.

woodsnwater likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

GIVEN a 150 two door 57 Chevy!
    I sure hope you still had some "good luck chips" left to get you through life to this point but if you were going to spend your first (or last) one on something this would have been my choice.
    Taking off the visor and skirts would be one of my sensibilities too, I just can't envision a 150 with them on it, maybe a decked out BelAir hardtop custom but not a sedan.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't give it away, but might as well have for the money I sold it for. Many years ago I sold an early hemi Weiand intake with four 97's on it, for less than what one 97 goes for today. I'm such an idiot.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

When I was in high school (66-69), I had a pair of 9 fin Corvette valve covers; 7 fin, 9 fin, what's the difference? They did't cost me anything, and I gave them to a friend who really wanted them. Now, I really want a pair! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. When I first got started in traditional cars, my first was a 36 Plymouth coupe, rumble car. The car came with a 340 and transmission. I was not a Mopar guy. I had a 383 stroker Bowtie sitting on an engine stand in the garage. I gave the 340 to a racer friend of mine, he ran front engine Hemi powered diggers. When I dropped the engine off at his house, we unloaded it and started to open it up. He says to me "did the original seller tell you anything about this motor?", my reply he said something about 6pack, I didn't pay any attention. The motor had a simple 2 barrel intake on it, I didn't care. Well when we opened the motor up, it was clean, freshly machined, pulled the pan, to find a windage tray and main bolts were replaced with new ARP bolts. We started checking casting numbers and dates, it was a numbers matching 1970 340 6 pack motor minus the intake. I walked away shaking my head as I just gave it away.

Lesson learned, I always research and become more educated before I give shit away now.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    olscrounger likes this.
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It's a small thing, but for years I grabbed old license plates from the junk yards. Had to sneak them out as California law requires the yards to destroy them. And I had a number of matching sets, this was in the late 80's.
    So a friend bought a 63 Split Window, and it had a modern set of plates and this was before YOM came into effect for post 59. So I gave him a set of black and gold '63 plates for his garage wall to hang by the car. Jump forward a few years ago and now it is possible to YOM a 63 and the value of the plates jumped from $000 to over $350, and the set I gave him were issued locally (you can tell by the first three numbers). And he says thank you, with a snearky smile every time I see the Vette.

7. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I gave a rebuilt POB th400 to a friend of a friend so he could get his car back on the road, later found out he sold it for $450. Bitch slapped him so hard he pissed himself

alanp561 likes this.
  8. Not exactly giving it away but I traded a M22 rock crusher with Hurst shifter that my brother left behind, after joining the Army, for a pair of Corvette valve covers to make my first car have a "Corvette" engine.
    The ironic thing is that my mom sold the valve covers at a yard sale while I was away in the Army ha ha ha
    In most recent years (2015) I gave my hot little 355 out of my t-bucket away to my good friend to help him get his model A project closer to being on the road. In 2015 I thought I was done with buying anymore projects, in 2017 I buy my 57 p/u project with supposedly a 350, turns out to be a freaking 307, now where did that great running 355 go to..ha ha ha

olscrounger likes this.
  9. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I have given away lots of 32 ford parts to friends but it was worth it. A set of 32 ash trays, 32 axles 32 headlights, and bumpers. I did get $50 for a Ca. rust free 40 standard coupe complete except engine at the Ford obsolete junk yard in Irwindale Ca. in about 1964. What a deal!

olscrounger likes this.
  10. banjorear

banjorear

Magnesium Halibrand no-change Ford banjo center section. Thought, how dumb. Why go through the trouble of changing the center section for this piece? I think I sold it to a buddy for $20. The repop version sells for $1,750 from Orosco.

11. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

1975 during the gas crisis, 1968 corvette 327/350 hp, side exhaust, 4 speed posi, convertible with both tops. Sold it for $2000.00

12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Back in 1968-9 in Fairfield, California, I stopped at a used car lot to look at a 58 Porsche coupe that was $2,500 and too much money for me at the time. Right next to it was a red 56 Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing coupe for $12,500. Way too much money I thought. Average value now days is $990,000 per Hagerty Insurance.

13. Closest I've come to that is I picked up some obsolete big truck scan tool sets in an auction lot last month.

I didn't realize the ones in the nice zip bags had two different types in them, the first one was on ebay for two hours before it went for $350, Buy It Now. The second one got bid up to $560. So I probably cost myself a couple hundred on the first one.

Oh well, I paid $10 for the lot they came in.

14. GTS225

GTS225

Don't remember, didn't care then, don't care now. At the time, a buddy needed it, and I didn't. Hand it off so that they can get further on their build, and move on.
    That's hot rodding.

Roger

rudestude likes this.
  15. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

Just last year I stopped at a garage sale that had lots of car stuff. I didn't have much bucks but stuff was so cheap I got a few good deals.
    As I'm leaving I notice a FREE pile, in it was a box of holley carb parts. Not thinking to look up the numbers I gave the box to my engine guy to use for parts. Next time I see him he tells me it was a almost complete carb from a '68 super cobra jet (just missing the transfer tube). He sent it to holley to be factory reconditioned then sold it for$1000. DOH!! At least he has offered to dyno my next engine for free.

16. 07B3AAB4-8462-46D6-B30A-8311D0F0EC1C.jpeg Had 2 running working SCOT blowers complete with pulleys, intakes for Ford flathead v8——cost me $1200 back in late 70’s—- now worth 12k-16k-18k! Kept blowing head gaskets, did not have a boost gauge, didn’t understand I needed to slow the blower down as I was building too much Pressure at higher r.p.m. Dumbass KID!

17. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Back in late 80's early 90's when I was doing my 58 Yeoman, I needed the license panels for my bumpers. Went to the salvage yard and found two good ones on a 58 Chev, and dropped the bumpers and left them there, and only took the panels. Both bumpers were the "California" one piece bumpers in great condition. After finding out that I should've taken them too, it was too late. I went back and someone had already gotten them...after I removed them for them.

18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

An older friend had a pristine 1960, new Corvette with a 4 speed and dual quads. It was very fast and very cool to cruise around our local area. As far as looking cool, what is there to not like about the Corvette? It was a little cramped for me, being 6 feet and 185 lbs. But, my close friend with the 57 Chevy was 6’3” and he was the one driving this Corvette that day! The 4 speed? It was shifted like a C&O Stick Hydro from gear to gear!

When the dual quads kicked in full power, the fiberglass fenders literally shook down the Cherry Ave. straightaway. We had been hearing about the driveability of dual quads for the street. The older guy had been complaining about not liking the dual quads for everyday driving. He wanted something that would be reliable, be easy to drive, and run well.

So, we proposed that an exchange take place between the 57 Chevy Bel Air with a single quad and the dual quad Corvette. We would do all of the work and tuning both cars, for a fee of French fries, hamburgers and Cokes at Russell’s Restaurant in Bixby Knolls, just down the street.

Since the older guy heard “free”, except for the lunch, he jumped at the opportunity. We liked it because we could work on both cars at our leisure. But, the opportunity of working on the Corvette was a first. The exchange went smoothly, and the tuning of the single quad was simple enough. The older guy was very happy and we were stuffed at the restaurant.

Jnaki

The dual quads on the 57 Bel Air made that motor run so much better and it was a lot faster than before. So, all parties were happy and we went on our merry ways. All of these years later, was that such a good move by the Corvette owner? At the time, he was so happy it was outstanding.

But, to remain pure stock with original parts, his was not going to be in that pristine category for resale or value. people were able to buy a single, quad 283 on the dealer build sheets, but this original build sheet said two 4 barrel carburetors… How much would that lower the aftermarket sale price? Back then, no one thought of buying a car for its resale value, it was a car for the moment and beyond.

Jnaki
    If we had all kept our cars from 1959 to today, they would be valuable in TODAY'S market. But, back then, it was just a hot rod or cruiser for enjoyment. Cruising or drag racing seemed to be the two most popular forms of car related activities. We all saved our money and bought what we liked.

How about a similar 1960 DUAL QUAD Corvette that sold for $119k in today's market? Is that a fortune?
    upload_2019-1-2_4-3-56.png
    Dual quads and a 4 speed

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I gave a ford 302 short block to a father / son team up Nebraska way, to see three generations show up at a track, priceless. :)

Fordors likes this.
  20. greaser

greaser

Early in the 70's I had a '34 ford 5 window coupe body in fair condition and mint frame. Kids were small and I had no time or money. Sold it all for 50 bucks.

21. / In 1972I had the factory tri power from a 406 FE. carbs linkage & air cleaner. I bought it for $35 and installed it on my 56 htp FE engine. The carb gaskets where shrunk and leaking. I couldnt find carb kits to fit it. sold it in 75 for $165.

alanp561 likes this.
  22. topher5150

topher5150

Maybe not worth a fortune, but I was helping clear out my dad's barn and I threw out an old lantern. I found it's twin and looked at it closer and it was a near mint cowl lamp for a Model T

23. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

20 some years ago I bought a 39 Chevy coupe $1500.00. Inside, under all the stacked up fenders and running boards was an Offy tripower intake with Rochester 2gcs.
    I sold the 39 for $1500.00 and installed the intake on my 57. I have not seen the 39 since

24. carbking

carbking

Old Wolf - you didn't look hard enough for the kits. We were advertising in HMN at the time, and made the kits (still do). Also, note that you are located in Arkansas. Made the Petit Jean Mountain swap meet more than once in the early 1970's.

Jon

Boneyard51 and egads like this.
  25. I agree. Apparently I didn't look hard enough. At that time I had never been to Petit Jean an was it long before internet. I only tried places like the local NAPA and the Ford Dealer.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. JonP

JonP
    from Oxford CT

When I was 13 I got a neat looking blue 2 dr for free and dragged it home with dads garden tractor. When he got home, he was so angry he had it hauled to the junkyard. Car was a 64 olds f85 coupe (precursor to the 442) blue with a blue interior, 330 tripower, 4 speed, dual exhaust, buckets with center console, upside down mounted tach on dash, posi rear totally stock and I got it running that afternoon. Turned out to be one of 5 produced in that combo, super rare even then

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. JonP

JonP
    from Oxford CT

But for old tin the one I gave away was a 31 model a sport coupe in pieces. So it at a rod show 3 years later looking sharp. So I guess it was a good thing because it was still in the hands of the cat I gave it to and he built it up from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Ron Emerson

Ron Emerson

Late to the show. I bought a 1935 3 window coupe complete with a early Hemi in the 80s.for $200
    needed some money for house repairs sold it for $ 500. Yes I made money, but I wish I still had it.

29. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

Got out of the service in 64 living in my sisters
    basement. The next door neighbor was a Ford salesman, and kept bringing by new Mustangs
    even though I am was die hard Chevy.
    I couldn’t resist a 65 fast back, lay down back
    Seat, 271 HP , solid lifter, red line tire, all black .
    I drove it for one year, and traded in on 66 Nova
    L79 engine, 4 speed Muncie, 12 bolt posi(331), 2 door post, red. I immediately had the dealer install 456
    Posi. Had a ball racing that car at US30 drag strip!
    Got married, had 2 little boys, and had to sell it!
    Both cars are rare collectibles now. A friend still has the Nova in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Rich

30. back in the 80's when I was going thru my flathead stage, I bet I gave away at least 2 dozen sets of grancor heads and dual intakes. I had those things coming out of my ears. some were new in boxes. probably worth a few bucks today, but at the time it made me happy to help somebody out, so that was worth more than money. I've always found money really easy to get, happiness, on the other hand, a bit harder. And since I always drink all my milk, I've never had to cry over spilling it.

The37Kid likes this.