Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1953-61 Studebakers With Quanted Headlights. PICS wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrland, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Have planes to go outside the box on building a halfwild 55 Studebaker Kustom. And is thinking quanted headlights because its a look i like. It makes me think of Kustoms buildt here in Sweden in mid and late 60' to early 70's and buildt in the us in the early 60's. So show what pics u have also interested in Studebaker kustoms without those headlights if there are cool kustomcars

Attached Files:

ChefMike, stanlow69 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

This one is just outside your timeframe, but since the front sheetmetal is interchangeable, I thought I'd share it. 61391002-770-0%402X-970x727.jpeg 62614133-770-0%402X.jpeg

4. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Here's an older build based on a '53. 400px-Chuck-goering-1953-studebaker.jpeg

stanlow69 likes this.

5. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Another '53, and more successful than the previous '53, imho... 400px-Ray-moriarty-1953-studebaker.jpeg

stanlow69 likes this.
  6. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Another pic from another show... 400px-Raymond-moriarty-jr-1953-studebaker.jpeg

7. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Heres a more recent shot of the Goering '53. 400px-Chuck-goering-studebaker-survivor.jpeg

8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

9. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

If four headlights aren't enough: CC1-vi.jpeg CC3-vi.jpeg

stanlow69 likes this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Must have been some powerful chemicals in the water supply in Waterbury Connecticut back in those days! The front would merely look 'bold' if it were not for the 'reflected image' treatment on the lower section that puts it over (or under) the top!

As I recall Waterbury is where the super funky extremely modded 39 Ford/Merc (?) hailed from.....the infamous Frank Maratta Custom that reappeared every year with more bizarre 'changes'......

Frank Marata Custom Mercury.jpg

In looking for the pic above, I discovered the creator of the Stude under discussion in the post above, John Hychko, was an associate of Frank Maratta and partnered in sponsoring the Autorama held there back in the day.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Peanut 1959 likes this.

11. This Studebaker works really well also. Any straight up frontwiew pics?

12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Here's the best I could find. 64863408-770-0%402X.jpeg

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  13. That picture works well. Thanx

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  14. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

If you want something slightly different, might I suggest '61-'62 Chrysler units, turned upside down and swapped side-to-side. 20190104_205032.jpeg

15. egads

egads

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  16. fortynut

fortynut

I have always liked Studebakers designed under Joesph Lowey's firm hand. As I understand it, the reasoning behind these car's lower frontal mass and aerodynacics was in pursuit of an envelope that slipped through the air with as little turbulence as possible. I also know that Mister Loewy, as he was known, was no longer awit the company when it was tacked over in order to be competitive with the market, rather than improved on. My question is this: do you think adding two extra headlights makes them of tacky school, or that of improving on even better aerodynacics? Yjou do know, of course, that brighter lights are available in several forms, halogen and LED. Of course, the one pictured with the square chrome grill surround is derivative of certain European countries that some Americans think are somehow superior to our own. Hopefully, the latter is not the case either objectively, or subjectivity. Maybe all this is not taken as negative as I enjoy seeing the liberties other people take in altering pre-existing production designs and making their own statement in the reordering of the elements of the original. Good Luck on your work. May it be pleasing to the eye, and I joy for you to have done. Carl

Texas Webb likes this.
  17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I believe he's just wanting to apply a timeworn customizing treatment that has been used on various makes of vehicles for more than half a century. It has nothing to do with aerodynamics.

What's tacky to you is beautiful and unique to someone else.

Oh, and the design firm was piloted by Raymond Loewy. However the design of the '53 coupes was the work of Robert Bourke. :)

18. fortynut

fortynut

I hope you will apologize to Mr. Loewy for me, in regards to the mangling of his first name. I did not, as you will note, imply he was the designer, but in charge of the department;
    after all, it was a studio with more than a few minds working toward the goal of creating a product people would buy in an already crowded market place. Your memory surpasses mine, as it was several years ago during a time when I was trying to decide how the shoebox Ford was designed that I read this information . As to 'timeworn', yes that is why I posted my comment. It is an add on that looks added on, and draws attention to itself, rather than being a part of the design already in place. I f it pleases some to add on something to a perfect design, I suppose even this is proof of the theory that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe going to art school was a bad bet, at least I tried other colleges to learn psychology and sociology that reinforce the opposite idea that you can get used to about anything if you are able to see the iromi of it. Maybe that was studying some of the poets who bashed about because they didn't know better. Excuse me for rambling. Carl

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm not feeling it.:( Canted lights always looked odd to me. Makes that Stude look like a Volvo.....

20. 54vicky

54vicky

they did say the meds would take time to kick in

21. rudestude

rudestude

Well maybe this will give you some answers to your questions.....not trying to waste space on this thread , by the way go for it on the headlights as long as it's tastefully done...., but this previous post seamed to have some concerns over modifications to the headlights having effects on the aerodynamics of the car....check it out.... there's even some formula's to play with ....if you want to get technical? as your post sounded being read through ,you should of used mister from the start though , then it would of at least sounded like it was written by someone that knew what they where saying or talking about...but there is a chance that I read it wrong...that's just a uneducated guess though... but I do know what search is for if I'm unsure of something ....just saying.... IMG_20190106_100512_1~2.jpeg IMG_20190106_100549~2.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app