Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bechtel 56, Jan 1, 2019.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's just your state, and a couple of others. They tend to be low population states.

In California, the number of registered motor vehicles is 6.5 times the entire population of Alabama.

Having a title here is a must, unless you are in to headaches.

Irish Mike and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With a title: $2000.00.
    Without a title: $200.00.

I have seen restored (a while ago) Model A's go for less than $10k.

5window, i.rant and nochop like this.
  3. Hombre

Hombre

6.5 Times higher than the entire population of Alabama? And for us poor old country boys here in Bama--there is not one bad thing about that at all. As far as we can get from California and "There" DMV then the better off we are, thank god. Hell I had to go down to the local DMV office here the other day and the lady behind the counter actually had a smile for me. I lived in California for over 20 years and there folks in the DMV office either go to mean school or maybe it just comes natural to them.

But to the car. You made mention of $10,000 or $20,000 dollars. Now I realize that you are trying to find a base value for this car and are not suggesting that may be the value--Are you?

No one can give you a value on the facts and picture you furnished, so as it stands right now with the little information available it is just a field car. The title to me here in the unwashed state of Alabama were we are out numbered by the cars in some states doesn't mean a lot. So here the car would probably bring a little better price, however furnish us with some better information and your friend just may sell that critter right here on the HAMB.

And don't let anyone kid you, the car pictured even on its worst day is worth a hell of a lot more than $200 with or without a title any day of the week.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, just to drag this out a bit longer if that rusty lump was in Burbank, Ca. is it any different than a Brookville body on a TCI frame in the eyes of your DMV?

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. If it was a Brookville body, you'd have a purchase receipt from the manufacturer, and if it were a TCI chassis, you would have a Manufacture's Statement of Origin (MSO).

Having those would allow you to get a title.

H380, upspirate, i.rant and 1 other person like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As for value, I will stick by the number.

I recently purchased a similar rolling (okay dragging) chassis, for $350, no title.

Why $350, and not $200?

The engine and chassis numbers were matching. That's why.

I titled it, and flipped it, for $2800.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

My honest opinion for SE USA....
    Asking price of $2500-2000
    Money in pocket....$18 to 1500
    It should sell at that price...eventually.

Last year in Birmingham was a 29 Roadster...complete (80s stock restoration...poorly yard tarp kept) It took a couple of months to sell at $4K....that car was complete and possibly a runner.

patmanta, Hombre and Bechtel 56 like this.
  8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Replying to the Alabama gang.
    Many here won’t buy a car from a no title state and many states like mine here in Minnesota don’t accept the phony titles that some companies offer.
    There are workarounds,of course but the upshot is a car with no title is just a parts car.
    A title around here adds a minimum of $500 to the sale value as well as helping the salability.
    Just my 3 cents(adjusted for inflation)

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You guys in title states are just jealous of us backwoods folks in AL.:D We can’t help that we’re smarter than the average bear.:D

Cosmo49 and Hombre like this.
  10. slv63

slv63

I feel like roadster prices have been going up as of late. A restored roadster brings more than coupes and definitely more than sedans from what I’ve seen.

It seems like you can’t even touch a project model a for under 5k for a body and some sort of chassis if it’s a coupe or roadster that isn’t a rusted out pile.

These are today prices from what I see, not 20+ years ago prices.

Squablow likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Went to Christmas dinner at mother in law's house. My wife cooked Prime Rib...a whole one. The in-laws (her bro, sis-in-law, and their children...3 of 'em...)ALL work at Calif. DMV!
    Yes, the 'well-done' end portions were preferred by all the DMVers, wife and my grown daughters and humble self got rare PRIME RIB!!!
    'Well done' is probably the only time these folks ever have occasion to hear that...except from their stern bosses!

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

For the Record, I'm in Sothern Connecticut.:D Bob

Hnstray and gimpyshotrods like this.
  13. I enjoy these what are they worth threads. Do some homework, find what some have sold for, that's what it will sell for. My '36 3 window I sold recently, I wanted 43K, was offered 29k from a guy who said in his "area" that's all they're worth, 35k by a guy one state over, 25k from someone who said it was a low but "solid" offer (all offers off the photos) and I sold it within a few hundred $ of what I wanted to the guy who looked at it in person from NorCal. Was it worth that? It was to him...….

14. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I have never not been able to get a title. getting a title with an old car that is out of the system is no problem, dont see what all the whining is about.

15. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

What's it worth? [ INSERT SHITTY PICS HERE]

Hombre likes this.
  16. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

I sold a similar pile for $2500 on Ebay recently

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

California has tightened the regulations, as of last November.

18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

When I try and get one for my ‘58 here in Minnesota I’ll get a hold of you to do it for me.;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. 1934coupe

1934coupe

At least 20K

Pat

20. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Well, we will see. I have a 41 Dodge with no papers to get titled.probably was out of any system before I was born.

Also, I have another truck with nothing (Craigslist Freebie) getting lien saled right now...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    iwanaflattie likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't fall into the logic-trap that your success is indicative of the current state of of affairs between the DMV and CHP, or that it ensures consistent success, in all cases.

22. Hombre

Hombre

partsdawg, you know for most of us in the "NO" title states we really don't care if you buy from us or not, damn that sounds harsh, not meant to. I had just as soon see our cars stay right here. I also don't understand were that feeling comes from, last time I checked Alabama was a lawful and fully compliant state ---Just like Minnesota--- and as such there is an agreement between the states that covers this very thing. Minnesota cannot refuse to accept a registration from Alabama just because Alabama does not require a title for cars that are so many years old. There are several states that do that.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

California is a title for everything state. All of my vintage tin, going back to 1929, has a California title.

farmalldan likes this.
  24. Hombre

Hombre

gimpy, You are right my mistake. I was confusing smog and titles, hell I don't know were that came from.

25. X-cpe

X-cpe

It might come from the nature side but I think a lot of it comes from the nurture side. I wonder how many times a day they have to deal with people who don't understand the process and don't want to listen or someone who is outright trying to scam them. Don't think it would take me long to get cranky. Here in Maryland I will drive a little longer to go to one outside the city because it goes a lot quicker and the help is nicer.

26. Hombre

Hombre

X-cpe, Man I hear you, its not a job most or any of us would want to do. Now with that said I spent 30 years in the Corps and moved around quite a bit. One of the first things that has to be done is the DMV thing. Some times it was painless and other times it was an experience you never want to do again. In California it was always the worst, its like they train those people to be ass holes. Now that could be because of the folks they have to deal with all of the time, maybe they have a chip on there shoulder because they know what is coming, Thank goodness it is something I no longer have to deal with very often...

The37Kid likes this.
  27. Ever been to a WV DMV? They don't train them they look for and hire them that way.:eek:

Hombre likes this.
  28. 2G's buildable open "A"car.

29. 5window

5window

There are long threads here about problems getting titles and problems with companies that would sell you a "good" title, often from Alabama. The bottom line is-whatever state you live in, make sure you understand what will be required to get your car legally on the road before you start investing time and money into the project. Lots of HAMB projects that found out too late that they had major issues. A little work up front could save a lot of headaches on the back end. Good luck

30. The wheels are not original at least not original for the car. Not that it really matters, no one runs model A wheels anyway.

I would have to take a close look but I would say if you can get it for less that 5K you found gold.

Squablow likes this.