Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front Axle Options -- Fenderless Hot Rod on '40 Ford Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HenryJGuy, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just watched the video and well it's a very cool story, just about Family, Hotrodding and Life...

This is really a personal choice but here is my take on it...I think it looks more proportionate but did I lose the appeal...not sure...I hope it helps...

This is one of the downfalls of Frame-swaps...not that they can't be and weren't done back in the day...
    its just getting it right...You may have to add frame forward.

I wouldn't cut the bottom of the grill of either. Why its a huge part of its appeal...
    You could even fab some fancy metal skirting to fair it into the frame...
    I increased the size of the rear slick to better fill the wheel-well. There was discussion just today on slick size availability.

Slick Post with info by @D-Russ...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...years-resolution.542263/page-44#post-12894171

Also added was Headlights and a Partial Hood, Ladder Bars :)...why the face...
    I'm no chassis guy...technically they taper in to mounts on a cross-member underneath.

The-Plord.jpg

If you clic the thumbnail below, I did an Overlay and you can see the amount the Front was moved ahead...The Grille Up, moved back & angled back slightly

Plyord_Overlay.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plyord_2.jpg

If you clic the thumbnail below, I did an Overlay and you can see the amount the Front was moved ahead...The Grille Up, moved back & angled back slightly

Plyord_Overlay2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  3. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just chopping off the cow catcher part of the grill would make a big difference. coupe 2.png

King ford likes this.
  4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Drop the rear an inch or two, maybe drop the front a bit too, lean the grille back a hair and call it good. It really doesn't look bad in my book. I'd spend more time worrying about how to get it to drive right. I like the look, its clearly a 60/70s hot rod.

cactus1 likes this.
  5. A Boner

A Boner

Sure would be nice if you found a 1934 Plymouth grill!

jimgoetz likes this.
  6. What happens a lot when a coil sprung rear is built is that the spring rate is poor. We used to use the front coils from a Corvair and that was pretty close to right. If the car proved to be too heavy for the coils (which was rare) we would wad up an inner tube and stuff it in the coil and use air to adjust the spring rate. Guess that was poor kids air bags. LOL

Neat little car. :cool:

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Spring eyes are reversed, as it sits. Replace axle with '33-'36 dropped, from SID'S in Oklahoma. (partnered with 'Okie Joe') Replace spring with correct length for '33 axle from POSIES. Spring hangers from Pete n Jakes. Wishbones can be hairpins to fit the axle. This will move axle forward 5.5", and the length between hangers and king pins will be correct. Car will look like the renderings from STOGY, quite correct, splendid, in fact.

tb33anda3rd and Stogy like this.
  8. I'm going to go against all the grain here. I suggest starting over. It's so goofy looking and out of proportion you would be wasting your time. Build a proper frame and fix all suspension problems at the same time. Forget all that crap about history and family heirloom shit. Life is too short to put up with half ass measures because of it. If you don't have the skill to pull it off I would suggest find a hotrodder with good taste and have him do the work. It has potential but not doing all this other stuff. Find a picture of the coolest one you can and copy it with your personal touches. You will be much happier in the long run. My input. Take it if you want or tell me to piss off. I'm ok with either. Cheers. ( Ps. the grill looks like ass)

Crusty Chevy likes this.
  9. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I think a taller tire in the rear would even out the proportions quite a bit.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Reversed purch spring behind
    [​IMG]

seb fontana, scott27, Cosmo50 and 2 others like this.
  11. now there is one that never would have occurred go me. Does it go wonky on caster angle? I could look at my heap and figure that out but you have already done it.

12. Caster adjustment is in the Hairpin wishbones, crank in 6 to 8 deg. and you're set. JW

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that gusset on the axle welded or bolted to the reverse perch...with this Hotrod it may not be far enough of an offset to work...it may need more...

This is an altered wheelbase but reverse of it's normal application...

14. Reminiscent of Norm's Kookie T, yes ??

Screenshot_20190127-123605_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190127-123648_Google.jpg Screenshot_20190127-123730_Google.jpg

dwollam, Tim, scott27 and 4 others like this.
  15. shake-n-bake

shake-n-bake

First and foremost, from one "Nam Vet to another, tell your father-in-law for me, Welcome Home! Now this story rings so true with me, but mine had a very different outcome. When I was a teen in High School, I worked summers for a land surveyor. We did a survey on a farm, and I found a '34 Plymouth coupe, sitting in a hedge row. I approached the farmer, asked about his selling it to me, and he gave the same old worn out story on how he was going to "restore" it. Needless to say, it sat in that hedge row forever and rotted into a pile of dust. In fact, I believe what is left of it, still sits there. You are an amazing son-in-law, to do what you've done. And you have had many responses on what to do. So I'm not going to complicate matters with my thoughts. Keep up the great work, and do what you and your father-in-law want to do. It's an amazing story.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

Thank you for the kind words and thank you for your service to our country.

And just to give everyone an update, we've decided to go with a '32 style spring-over axle setup. I'm going to likely use a Speedway kit, which comes with wishbones. That will gain 4 inches up front. Moving the steering box to accommodate the new axle location will give me a good excuse to go through the steering system and get it tightened up so the car drives a little better. I'll keep everyone updated when the parts start coming in.

Stogy likes this.
  17. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Wait a minute you have wish bones , you will need an axle, perches and leaf spring , no need to get a kit , I think an old dropped ford axle would better suit the vibe of the car also... just another opinion though..

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of good feedback here and many ways to slice the pie and the more you keep and use getting to the goal keeps more of the yesteryear for that soul thing albiet the soul is getting wee updates here and there...

19. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

This version looks much better!
    Stretching the wheelbase, tipping the grille shell back and lengthening the hood made it look GOOD!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  20. Check with Von Franco he's built two T's with this setup recently and can set you straight on how to do it. JW

Stogy likes this.
  21. It is welded to the axle and wishbone.

Stogy likes this.
  22. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

kidcampbell71, GuyW and Tim like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dude that lower engine turned firewall panel is awesome. Nice touch.

24. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Wire wheel in my drill press. Thanks

dwollam and Tim like this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Loved the video and a large round of applause for what you did for your father inlaw and showing the kind of person you are:cool:. You know a 34 Chevy or 33/34 Ford grille would look cool on it as well. Thanks for your efforts.

26. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A great video and an even greater tribute to your father-in-law. That being said, I couldn't help but notice how flat that front spring is. At first I thought it was camera angle but looking at the first shot of the car in the video from the right front and again later on the shot from the front driver's side and the spring is definitely flat. The angle on the spring shackles is right but it looks as if there wouldn't be much travel in them at all. If the body is coming down the shackle can't move sideways as it should. If the body is going up, the shackle will bind and push up on the axle. Either way, the ride is going to be erratic. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

27. That grille looks like a snowplow no matter if you change the wheelbase. The short wheelbase looks cool and if it was an Altered Coupe without radiator, you could keep it. But even with a super decent grille it will be difficult to make it look right.

28. touring20

touring20

I would try moving the spring behind the axle like the doane ? deuce roadster .