Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did I just buy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binderman01, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Binderman01

Binderman01

I'll grab more tomorrow, no dash. And the firewall isn't original, you can see where it's been welded in and cut out. The side picture I sent was one the PO sent me.

The suicide door on the cab I have to believe is original from looking at the door sills.

2. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Its a 3-window coupe,Its a Hot Rod, Its what you want it to be. If its Cool and Shiny who cares everyone loves it.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks to me like '33/'34 Dodge/Plymouth door opening. But now I don't know about the rest of it.

4. 5window

5window

What's the title say it is? You did get a title,right? Otherwise it's a pile of parts.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  5. scotts52

scotts52

That was my thought at first too until the shallow cowl was mentioned. Some quick searching led me to find some 32s with the shallow cowl. They're 3 window and some had the suicide door. I'm leaning towards the OP saying it looks like a 32 Plymouth. In my case, it was Dodge that I found looked the closest but couldn't find any good Plymouth examples.

6. scotts52

scotts52

Even if we can positively ID it as a 32 Dodge or Plymouth I think it's still safe to say it's had some hack work and will take a lot to fix it. Good looking cars when done though.

7. spanners

spanners

After some of the stuff I've seen resurrected on this forum, I'd say that's a piece of piss to get up and running. Get into it.

raven and Squablow like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

More pictures, overall, and from the inside showing the seams that were welded together, would make identifying the pieces a lot easier.

Either way though, it's a 3W coupe body and plenty enough left build a hot rod out of. Rougher shit has been fixed, some with incredible results. I look forward to seeing it come together.

slv63 and King ford like this.
  9. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

There are some people who can fix that, maybe start looking for panels at swaps , in sheds anywhere. Really that’s going to tax your patience and skills.
    What’s the chassis like? Is a fiberglass body available?

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Looks like a mopar someone tried to make look like a 32 ford by borrowing some body line cues
    The eyebrow above the windshield looks ford , where the a pillar meets the side belt line is reminiscent of a ford , I think someone got too caught up with actual ford measurements to let the idea flow with the original body lines which is why it looks a little rough

Cowl sides and top are 30-31 ford

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    King ford likes this.
  11. F&J

F&J

some states like mine don't issue or require titles on older vehicles.

Frankie47 and moparjimd60 like this.
  12. Crocodile

Crocodile

Can't help you out on what it is, but just wanted to say good luck on the project. Some of the replies have been kind of negative, but this is also the place where people build entire cars from a few scraps, so just make a plan and whittle away at it. You have the building blocks to make something cool, and one of a kind!

rc57 and King ford like this.
  13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I agree with thirty two, the cowl top and sides look to be 30-31 Ford. Looks like it was made up of pieces, but it does have potential

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Binderman, I think you have a good plan. A little finesse and attention and you can build a cool car!...glad you're using flathead! They're no ball of fire but cool as hell!..I agree with you on the late model shit as well..I don't want to work on them anymore.

15. Binderman01

Binderman01

No kidding, I was starting to think this forum was getting full of Goodguy judges and not hot rodders like I remembered! 70% of the posts have been about how much work is there, i didn't realize that since Brookville came around we're supposed to just order a new body

Either way I appreciate the positive posts, and am going to grab some more pictures so hopefully we can get this thing id'd!

Sent from my H1711 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Don,t know why some say that the cowl top and side is model A Ford. First pic shows lower window frame area all that stuff is patch welded in to look something like an A. Cowl top looks completely replaced. Maybe because the cowl had one or two rotten vents on top. Try looking for pics of NASH coupes from that time frame. BTW, do the doortops actually have glass channels ?

49ratfink likes this.
  17. indyjps

indyjps

Do the doors fit in the hole. What are you thinking for a frame.

Id say get it squared up, hang the doors and deck kid, see if anything lines up. Start making styling changes from there. If those doors are homemade or modified from another vehicle that could be why the build stalled.

No latch hardware or trim to speak of, use anything you like.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    slv63 likes this.
  18. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good Luck ! Enjoy ! your project, I'm not an expert builder like many here, but anything can be done with time/effort/$$$. I have had a few friends (years past) that have made something from nothing (minimal/rough project your's is a 3 window/steel/all positives) always admired their skills/ambition/determination to finish a big project like you are starting. Suggest you start a build thread and I and many will follow along to see your progress, offer encouragement and when you're done you can proudly say " I built it " In my lifetime 50+ years of car hobby, only have met a handful of men that can say. " I built it "

19. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'd swing those body parts by a blasters and get them cleaned up. I bet you find filled door handle holes then. And youd also see whatever sins are hiding below what I bet is a good layer of mud.
    Definitely has potential. If you've got some skills it might be a good way to showcase them, maybe get some business in your shop that's not rice grinders too.

brEad likes this.
  20. Binderman01

Binderman01

I'm more into repair work, I applaud anyone in the hot rod/performance industry for doing what they do, a lot of time and shop space tied up in these things!

If the filled them, they have done the best job I would have ever seen! I'll start a thread once I start getting it squared up, name it the unknown coupe and hopefully someone will chime in and know what we have!

Sent from my H1711 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slv63 likes this.
  21. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Looks like mostly Plymouth or dodge to me. 33-34 ? Did they make a 3 window? If the doors fit the openings your in good shape if not it's going to be a lot harder.Good luck it could be a cool project.

22. exterminator

exterminator

I am guessing 32 dodge.

23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever it is, I like it. There's a thread on here about "Homogenized " cars and the one you've got sure won't ever fit in that category. Good luck with it and I hope to see reports of problems you run into and progress you make on it.

24. junkman73

junkman73

Somebody had said it looked like a dodge that someone was trying to make look like a ford.What if it was a ford that somebody was trying to make look like a Dodge?

classiccarjack and Peanut 1959 like this.
  25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Whatever it is, when you get it running you'll have the only one like it! Actually I guess you do already.

26. scotts52

scotts52

It's really got my curiosity up so my wheels have been turning.

Looks a lot like a 32 Plymouth PB coupe or 32 Dodge with the exception of the cowl depth. The doors seem to have the same opening and are hung suicide style.

Can you tell if it used to have 3 hinges? Thinking one may have been removed during the top chop.

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

we need better pictures. is the dash original? that might help. I think the cowl is not original to the body, no suicide door 3 windows had a cowl like that in my search. might be a 34 Hupmobile
    [​IMG]

28. exterminator

exterminator

No matter what it is- it will make a awesome hot rod!

29. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

E6C1D630-B065-4B06-B0AA-BE48E77429F1.jpeg Look at these pieces on a 30-31 ford and get back to us

The37Kid and slv63 like this.
  30. Gerrys

Gerrys

Automotive version of a chicken nugget. jumble of parts fused together.