Register now to get rid of these ads!

History old show winner custom studebaker for sale od Ebay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, Jan 2, 2019.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

Damm 1962 that's to early for that to be a 289.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don’t see any info to support the engine change being done around 1962. Only that 1962 was mentioned as when the car was first presented in a major show. The magazine article references the OE engine mods (likely to be a 259”, although Studebaker also had a 224” V8 in ‘55 models, 289” intro’d in some ‘56 models). Obviously, the car was reworked a bit somewhat later than 1962 as indicated by the grille change. The engine swap does not seem to be mentioned in any magazine or eBay ad details.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

You are right the Ford engine does not have the early oil fill.

4. Lepus

Lepus

Somebody likes it. It's got 1 bid.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Is it patina....or, is it the typical result of neglect? If it was buffed out and waxed, it might be called patina.....but as is, I call neglect.

6. Did some one ever buy this car or is it still forsale??

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- has not been on criagslist Reno, NV ,where it was advertised, for a long time

8. Ok. Would be a cool car to own. Have a 55 commander that will be kustomized

9. Son of Omar

Son of Omar

Hello all, The show car was by dads Brian "Omar the tent maker" Ellis. It originally owned by Art "Bud" Root who with my dad worked over the body. Art sold it to my dad who did the interior and toured the nation winning many awards. It had the bigger Stude V8(259?) and BW 4 speed. The body, engine block and interior were paint matched and the rest was chrome. If you look at the center console you can see hints to what was installed. It had AM/FM, Sony B/W tv (I still have the shipping box) and a stereo reel-to-reel. The care was featured in Carcraft 1960. Rosie also featured as part of CarCraft 1962 top 10/ Customs.

How Rosie left us-

Art had gotten a investment from his mother into my dad's shop called Tuck-n-Tack in Ballard, WA. but the shop never got the money. Well Art's mom cam on hard times and asked my dad to pay back the funds( dad was obviously surprised. Art bolted at this point and hasen't been head of since. Art's mom was like a second mother to my dad so he paid back the loan by selling the car.

Since then it passed to the hands of some idiot who dyed the interior black and was gutting it as Marc has informed me. Marc sold it to Diane King who wanted to restore it. She striped off the black dye and contacted my mom and eventually got all the trophies in prep to showing the history... but then she dropped off the earth and so went the car. Its kind of sad but my heart is happy to know Rosie is still out there.

10. Thanks for chiming in with the history.....maybe you can still find it ..........

11. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks Son of Omar for filling us in on some history. I really feel like you should try to track down the car and buy it. I'd be willing to bet it's still out there and probably for sale. Would be nice to restore it, or at least preserve it properly as best as you can.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. @Son of Omar ,
    Thank you so much for the history.
    Like Squablow, I to would like to see you get the car back it would but a great great chapter to the cars story.
    Thanks again for the history lesson
    Chappy

13. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was it this one ? 53StudeKustom002.jpeg 53StudeKustom004.jpeg

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL