Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP... Steering, mechanical brakes with split bones.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 13clicks, Jan 2, 2019.

1. 13clicks

13clicks

I am in the middle of splitting my wishbones on my 29 Roadster. I have a question about mechanical brake rods, steering box arm and split bones.

I have searched the net... I am having trouble finding a spot to mount the drivers side bracket off the bottom of the frame for the radius arm to mount to. The steering pitment arm hanging off the steering box and brake rods are in the way. Has anyone done this that can give me a few tips or photos?

I will shorten the pitment but it will still be in the way.

I can piecut and bend the radius arm to miss the steering but what way... bend it inside or outside of the steering?

No, I do not want juice brakes.

2. adam401

adam401

Is there a way you could avoid splitting the wishbone. Even if you have to modify it? What Do you have for an engine and trans?

3. 13clicks

13clicks

I have already cut the arms so I am stuck... still running stock motor and trans.

4. Just a question...why did you cut the bones?Planning for a v8 in the future?

X38 likes this.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm curious, why split the bones? I thought that was done when power train changes eliminate the stock wishbone socket.

6. adam401

adam401

Well I know your question is about mounting split bones and if that's what you want then go for it. If it were me however, i would weld those back together. You could mount them split and bring them inboard and mount bracket off a crossmember but that would be more work for less in my book.
    Both my current coupe and my last coupe had heavily modified unsplit wishboness to deal with clearance issues. You can see pictures of one I built in my albums in my profile.

7. 13clicks

13clicks

Yes in the near future I am going "B" Transmission and wanted to have a clean spot for pulling the motor and doing clutch jobs.

8. 13clicks

13clicks

Ok gotcha... I will check your photos. thanks

9. adam401

adam401

With all the associated changes with pedals etc you'll be adding different tranny mount at the rear and mounting b type pedals presumably? The current wishbone mount and pedals are all attached to the model a trans so I understand what your up to. I've been there. I've cut a stock 4 banger into an av8 and there's a lot of changes with losing that A transmission. Might wanna toss that baby in there now. Anyway good luck sounds like a cool build.
    My last car was mechanical brakes. Get good at adjusting them and they work well.

10. 13clicks

13clicks

yeah thanks.... I am under a time crunch and can't get the B trans in at the moment. I am hooking up 32 drums with expansion rings up front for better braking. My mechanicals work killer and should be even better with the 32s up there. My car is really light so the mech brakes are ok for now. Thanks for your info.

11. I have a B trans in my 31 roadster. I used a 32 K member with a complete 32 front end including the wishbone. A F1 crossmember will work just as well. Not sure if splitting the bones is the way to go here. Seems like a lot of work. Also are you sure you have 32 drums? 32 drums are cast so they don't need expansion rings or do you have 35 drums with the three ribs instead?

12. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

leakyboatlouie likes this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

From the AT&T commercial if the brakes don't stop you something else will.

14. 13clicks

13clicks

Yeah you are right... I have '32 backing plate with '35 drums... my mistake.

15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is true. But you can heat and bend them, which might get you the clearance you need. Also, while it's most common to mount the split bones to a bracket on the outside of the frame rail, some guys mount them further in.

Incidentally, Clings sells a wishbone adaptor that accommodates a '39 transmission in a Model A. I don't know if it can be retrofitted to an earlier trans, but if so I'm assuming it would let you run a stock wishbone. (I know yours is already split, but they're cheap and you can sell the split one.)

13clicks likes this.
  16. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

'35 front drums are an oddball with an offset shared with the '36 which limits what backing plates can be used. You might try putting the '32 backing plates on your spindles and seeing if the '35 offset allows it to happen. Good Luck: Fred A

17. 13clicks

13clicks

Here is a photo of the radius rod mocked up... I made the ball side bracket out of 3/8 thick angle and will weld it onto the frame. I pie cut the arms and bent them upward so I get the proper caster on the front axle. I cut down the pitman arm in a hurry just for mock up purposes so don't message me on the safety factor. I have another pitman arm that I will properly weld and use.

Attached Files:

18. 13clicks

13clicks

I have 32 backing plates as well... thanks~

19. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Could you mean that you have '32 drums as well? Like: Do you walk to work or pack your lunch? With '32 to '34 front brakes that are 1 1/2" X 12" you are on to a very popular and effective mechanical brake swap for Model A. Jim Brierly brought that trick to many of us. Hard to figure where split bones help anything, but ??? Good Luck: Fred A

20. 13clicks

13clicks

I am getting ready to install my B Trans into my A roadster. Here is the mock up of my pedal mount. Pretty excited to get some smooth shifts. IMG_1999.jpg

F&J likes this.