Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oxidized paint look

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobsundance, Dec 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Hard to believe this thread is seven pages long, going strong, and the original poster has yet to reply one time. I’d like to see a pic of what he’s calling oxidized, otherwise it’s hard to give him an honest opinion about his question.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slv63 and anthony myrick like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

And IF your grandfather would have been given a nice fender with paint on it, would he have done what?

loudbang likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

I've had many of rusty vehicles, when I got a new fender, etc, to put on it, I'd spray it with primer, My hope was always to make it look nice (rarely happened), but surely didn't want to make it look the same or worse.

alanp561, loudbang and warhorseracing like this.
  4. ...on the flip side;...I've see lots of painted cars, some nicely painted,...that I didn't care for,...to each his own;...why can't we just get along.?....this thread will close in ...?..minutes

5. He would have left it off the car...to heavy...

VANDENPLAS, SR100 and warhorseracing like this.
  6. Over the years I have bought some rust buckets to fix up and drive. One OT pick up that had new front fenders and rust holes in the bed. It came with the old front fenders so I cut the upper wheel arch out of them, pop riveted them on either side of the bed over the rust holes, (I didn't own a welder at the time). Body putty, sand paper, spray can Rust Oleum primer and gloss black paint and in a weekend the old truck didn't look too bad. That truck still looked as good as the day I sold it as the day I finished the body work and drove it over 70,000 miles. It had over 210,000 on it when it ended it's life at a junk yard in Georgia and probably became a new honda.

7. Now you can work on patina'ing them thangs' !! Lol. Merry Christmas sir !!! haha[/QUOTE]

MAN they gotta last till next Christmas! Happy New Year to you Sir.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

More pictures please!!!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. I couldn't agree more. I ran into a guy last year who bought a pretty decent '55 Ford with original paint. Now, the paint definitely had seen better days, but nothing a bunch of elbow grease couldn't improve. It'd never look new again, but could have looked pretty good. Next time I see it, the guy had gone after it with sandpaper and rubbing compound to expose the primer for fake 'patina'... it wasn't an improvement.

Patina only works up to a point IMO. A rod built 'back in the day' or a old race car with some history with decent but neglected paint is genuine. But once rust is showing, you're into rat rod territory and most people don't know the difference and to some people there is no difference, even if you try to explain it. All you're 'preserving' is the fact that there was a long period of time where nobody gave a shit about the car. Which to me is the antithesis of the whole hobby; bringing them back to their former glory.

'Back in the day', that rust would be sanded off and some primer shot on, not clear-coated...

alanp561, upspirate, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  10. noboD

noboD

Clear coating rust is gay.

11. This one falls into the "contrived" category but I along with thousands of others love it, even the magazines if you can imagine that ! Screenshot_20190101-185034_Google.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Paint Law enforcement officers out giving tickets....

swade41 and iwanaflattie like this.
  13. Yep. Kinda like sitting at Thanksgiving dinner, telling your aunt that your mother thinks she’s fat and your brother-in-law that your dad thinks he is a loser, then sneaking under the table with a six pack of PBR and enjoying the ensuing shit storm.

loudbang and ronzmtrwrx like this.
  14. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

loudbang likes this.
  15. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine rubbed Hydrogen-peroxide on bare metal,and you can almost watch it start to rust. He said it worked to get the patina look on sanded metal. The patina look is starting to get old. I guess it looks better that florescent green or orange like another guy I know does.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. gene-koning

gene-koning

I am a welder by trade. There is just something wrong with the concept of wanting to make new metal rust.
    I do my own body work and I paint my stuff myself, been doing it for years. I'm getting better, but I'm not sure I'm at a place where you could call my body work and paint jobs "smooth and shiny". My stuff has all the trade marks of poor body work, covered by dull paint with runs, light spots, and unevenly applied paint. Fortunately, I also use cheap paint that "ages" in 3-4 years. The rust holes you might find on my stuff is at least covered with a form of paint.

I come from an old dirt track background. If the old dirt track cars looked good from the stands, most people were pretty understanding when they got up close. My stuff looks good from about 20 feet away, and they look pretty good in pictures. They also look great as I'm driving by, and that is what I'm after. Pretty paint is a pain in the butt to keep up, I'm past that point in my life. Gene

mkebaird, alanp561, 40FORDPU and 3 others like this.
  17. Rusty1 said it right when he said:
    "...anyway, I'd run a da sander (or do by hand) over the rear fenders, or scuff em up with a scotchbrite pad, work on it til you get the results you need/like,..there's an art to makin different paint qualities match, give it a shot....maybe fog a lil red oxide primer on the naturallyweathered areas, then scuff that lightly with fine steel wool.
    ...these rear fenders were grey but I matched em to the rest of the car...good luck.
    I'd like to see some pics of the car."
    I'm not going to get involved in the moral rights and wrongs of this guy's paint. My old 41 Pontiac had been painted black and then stored in a pen with goats..no shit. The goats danced all over the top, decklid and hood, damaging the paint beyond repair. Having no $$$ I took a green scotchbrite pad to the whole car. I loved the look. It was more shiny than primer and was much better at sealing the metal away from the elements.
    41rear.jpg 41inthecorn.jpg

mkebaird, Blues4U and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. So, Rocky, it appears that long before the G.T.O. there was a Pontiac referred to as the GOAT (mobile)!:D;)

Bandit Billy and alanp561 like this.
  19. ..............................That's a great story, a sad story, but great nonetheless.

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

What's this 'underwear' you guys speak of.....?
    o_O
    I like shiney as much as the next guy. I can also appreciate 'preserved'. That coupe Rocky posted above is a good example. Chocolate/vanilla, apples/oranges, lammas/alpacas, Charmin/Bounty, Makers/Woodfords, Budweiser/Weidimans....kinda like that. :eek::rolleyes:

mkebaird likes this.
  21. Underwear and socks.:) Don't you get new ones every Christmas?:eek: They last a year and are the gifts you get from loved ones under the tree.:D

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

To answer the OP's question.......

Somebody that knows what they are doing can match that fender with new paint. I'm not talking about rust but the sheen and shade....

23. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^
    THIS

24. 66gmc

66gmc

Personally I'm not a big fan of rust or fake patina, but I do like the look of old paint. Dead single stage can be brought back to life with minimal effort. Might be easier to buff out the oxidized paint to match the fenders....but its your car so do as you please. 20180720_150656.jpeg 20180720_172806.jpeg 20180725_211953.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. This OP is pretty good.
    3 pages of posts and he hasn't been here since Sunday
    when he posted!
    Done!

X38 and ronzmtrwrx like this.
  26. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I've been painting my own cars for years. I'm still not a very good painter but I've become pretty good at cut and buff. DSCN1158.JPG