Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Clutch head inventor.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Deuces

Deuces

The only one I have fits the Holley secondary metering plates..... :cool:

2. X-cpe

X-cpe

When I worked at a Chevy dealer in the 60's the step vans ( Boyertown bodies IIRC) were screwed together with clutch heads. You go to the hardware store today almost all the screws you see are Philips heads. Why, because almost everyone has a battery powered drill or screwdriver. Clutch heads were an early attempt to keep the screw centered up on the speed or power driver of the day.

3. AZbent

AZbent

I deal with the clutch heads on my AD truck. I dont like them and the will be replaced with philips head screws. The fasteners i dislike even more than clutch head are tri wings. They are great for securing something, but they are a pain to remove. I have never had to drill a clutch head, but i lost count of the number of tri wings. There is always something worse.

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I bet I`ve boughten at least 20 of these kits over the years. I`ve given them out at X-mas. The y shaped attatchment in the upper corner is for eye screws.------- Now that you know what a clutch head is. You will buy every tool for these you see for the next couple years. I have a drawer dedicated just for clutch headed screwdrivers, bits and socket adapters. Also know to be called apple cores.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Or Canadian head, seriously.

stanlow69 likes this.
  6. X-cpe

X-cpe

I learned them as peanut head.

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Try looking for the tool to remove these when not knowing what the they were called. It was 25 years ago. Didn`t have a screw to show them what it was. I educated the parts store owner that day, as well as a couple other people as well.

8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John Deere had the best idea for clutch head use. These made for short work on the assembly line using powered drivers, and when Old MacDonald out on the farm had to work on his new Model A tractor (yes, John Deere also had a model A. And a Model B) he could use the wrenches he had in the tool shed.
    Clutch Head.jpg

9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The first link posted, confused Clutch drive screws with "one way" tamper proof screws.

Countersunk clutch drive screws are used to hold the camshaft thrust plate on early Ford small blocks.

It's just a case of buying the correct tool to do the job.

You guys down there probably don't like our "Robertson" head screws either.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Or the Crescent wrench in his back pocket!

11. belair

belair

I hate that guy.

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. him and the flat head guy
    first people I punch when I build my time machine